Costco Shelter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DW

City/Region: Mount Vernon
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Wicked Pissah
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Costco Shelter Reply with quote

Just a quick note to see if anyone out there has used a "Costco Shelter", 10 x 20 as a temporary shelter for a CD-22? I'm wondering if I will need a pony wall under it to get the height? I understand it will be tight and stick out at the ends, but this is temporary.
jakevolvo@yahoo.com

City/Region: Orting
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Told Ya So
Photos: C-Told Ya So
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had one up for 2 years held up well, keep the bird poop off it or it will eat holes in it and anchor it WELL. Never put my 22 under it but I would guess its waaay to small. Would have to raise it up a lot. I would say 3' or more. I just ordered a 12'x31'x 12' high metal car port was only $2200 installed and that was with partially closed in sidewalls and a closed back wall. I would save the $250 and put it towards an actual structure
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have one from Menards for the Suburban and the price was $80 after rebate. and $30 for buckets and rocks . We use six 5 gallons buckets full of rocks for the posts feet to keep from moving a lot and tie down lines from the frame to the bucket handles. It is used at our second home in Florida (one car garage converted to workshop and storage LOL) and take it down when we leave. It does collect rain water and we plan on adding a few drain holes and Teflon paste to all of the frame connections to make it easier to disassemble when we leave. It helps a lot on hot sunny days or when it rains and nice when we clean, wash and wax the vehicle.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of those at a resort at Lake Amador (not Almanor) over on the other side of Stockton along with a motorhome. Was very sturdy, especially since I added a lot of additional guy wires and anchor points such as nearby tree trunks and heavy metal stakes driven deep into the soil. Withstood several winters with the CD-22 under it until we had a 60+ mph hail and wind storm come through. Twisted the 2-inch diameter frame pipes into pretzels!

I guess Mother Nature always has the upper hand if she wants to show it!

Wouldn't have survived the Fire Tornado featured here in Redding a week or two ago:

900-1000 feet wide at the base
1500-2500 feet tall (couldn't see the top)
165 mph swirling winds
2700 degree Fahrenheit temperatures*

*(Official post mortem estimates)

Melted and twisted 300,000 volt high voltage transmission towers designed to withstand 200-mph winds.

Still and all, the canopy/shelter is a good product, worth the cost. Just be aware of its limitations.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one from another source (can't remember name) for my 22 but did not check height. My radar dome is 9 feet, 8 inches. The high point of the arch of the shelter was a foot less. With 8 legs trying to get it up a foot in the air was a no go so I put the car under it instead. It did not handle more than a few inches of snow so I sold it and went to plan B - actually about plan M.

Chuck

SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post the name of the company for the metal carport for $2200.

Thanks
Steve
jakevolvo@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The company is called west coat metal buildings inc.

The salesman's name is Joe Murray tell him jake from orting referred you he might give you a small discount on his commission. His number is 253-588-0204

The install is 6 weeks out and if you wait till after their 10% off puyallup fair sale the waiting list can get up to 12 weeks out.
RichardM

City/Region: Akron
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Pangur Ban
Photos: Pangur Ban
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An alternative idea: Instead of a shelter I bought a full boat cover from Empire Covers last year. An email from them yesterday is touting their sale which has a week to go. I called their Customer Service to figure out the right size; they asked for maximum dimensions for length, width and height at the tallest point (my radar). As a result the cover they sent is generous (actually designed for another, larger boat, I think). It is, I think, their next-to-top quality version, and if I recall it was in the neighborhood of $300. I still needed to rig a support so it doesn't sag in the cockpit area. The cover is a giant step up from the tarps I'd been using. So far it is holding up to snow and rain just fine.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As jakevolvo@yahoo.com mentions, West Coast Metal Buildings Inc. is a good option. We had them build our hay storage building and they did a great job. They can build a building to meet the exact height, length and width requirements for your boat storage. The installers built a perfect building for us without missing a screw. Very Happy
BuildItOnce

City/Region: Poulsbo
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Puzzle Piece
Photos: Puzzle Piece
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jakevolvo@yahoo.com wrote:
The company is called west coat metal buildings inc.

The salesman's name is Joe Murray tell him jake from orting referred you he might give you a small discount on his commission. His number is 253-588-0204

The install is 6 weeks out and if you wait till after their 10% off puyallup fair sale the waiting list can get up to 12 weeks out.

Would you mind sharing a picture of the building they built you? I'm in the process of buying a 22' Cruiser and this looks like a great option for covered storage.
jakevolvo@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as they build it I'll post up a pic or two
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: