HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

What Prop shoudl I slap on my 16' Cruiser

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tyer

City/Region: Bonney Lake
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: What Prop shoudl I slap on my 16' Cruiser Reply with quote

Hi All,
I am new to the world of C-Dorys but loving it so far. However, I just put my newly acquired 1999 16' Cruiser with a Honda BF40 in the water for the first time and it was a bit of a dog. I topped out at 18-19MPH GPS speed (barely on plane). I looked at the prop and it appears to have about an 8" diameter but has no marking to tell me the exact size or the pitch. What is a good all around prop to slap on this little boat with a BF40 and what speeds should I expect?

Thank you in advance
spuncopper

City/Region: Camden/ Lake Wateree
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Sock Monkey
Photos: Sock Monkey
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: prop size for 16 cd Reply with quote

Hey,

If you can't find any markings you may need to take it to a prop shop. Which prop you put on it will depend on how much of weight you normally carry on the boat. Think of things like how many people will you normally carry, how much gas, gear, coolers, whether or not you have two batteries or just one.

There is also the matter of what your engines RPM range is for WOT (wide open throttle). Your engine manual has that info or a Honda mechanic can look it up. There are a number of folks on here that are running Hondas and hopefully one of them will pitch in.

The little CD16 is a fun boat but has its limitations. Have fun and be safe. Spuncopper
Tyer

City/Region: Bonney Lake
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1999
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Spuncopper. I see you also have a 16'. How many HP do you have pushing your little C-yacht and how fast do you go at WOT? and what size and pitch prop do you use? don't worry, I am just asking for reference. I will not blame you when I have completely different results with my setup.

I plan to use my boat for fishing and crabbing so it will be pretty well loaded down most of the time. Downriggers, pot puller, fishing tackle/gear, a 4 hp kicker.... and probably 2 people (say, 350lbs of human). Come on Honda owners, help me out.

Thanks!
spuncopper

City/Region: Camden/ Lake Wateree
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Sock Monkey
Photos: Sock Monkey
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: prop for 16cd Reply with quote

Hey Tyer,

I'm running a 2007 Suzuki DF 50. I recently changed from a SS 11 3/4 Dia x 13 Pitch to an Aluminum 11 5/8 Dia X 12 Pitch. the WOT for my engine is 5900 to 6500 RPMs.

Loaded out using the SS prop I was pulling 5400 to 5600 rpms. After changing to the aluminum prop it comes in at 6100 to 6400 rpms. It has made a large difference coming up on plane. My GPS registered approx. 27 mph at top end. I'm also using a Stingray Hydrofoil Stabilizer which is a big help

I'm running 12 gallons of gas, two batteries, two adults (approx. 296 lbs), two 9 lbs anchors (bow and stern), a 50 (?) quart cooler full of bottled water, canned Arizona tea, a smaller soft cooler for food and snacks, snorkel gear and other miscellaneous crap two old farts need to make life more pleasant while out on the lake.

You might want to look up and call a Honda Marine service center and talk to them.

Hope this helps. Spuncopper
jack keifer

City/Region: Boise
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Squirt
Photos: C-Squirt
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: what prop Reply with quote

We have a Honda 50 and changed from the original 11 3/8 dia 11 pitch to 12 1/4 dia 9 pitch, Honda prop. Living in Idaho we have altitude issues and are fairly heavy, 600 to 700 lbs, people, fuel, gear, etc. We were out yesterday and at 4000 rpm were at 10 mph. and 5000 gave us 15 mph. That is were we usually run, but I know it will get to 5700 rpm, so I am comfortable we are not in an engine overload situation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Propellers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: