City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tom, it depends on what you want. In my experience (Garmin and RayMarine) although the I pad mirrors and controls what is on the MFD, it cannot bring up separate displays. For example, I like to have close view charts, far view charts, the depth sounder graph, and radar--although that would fit on a single 10" screen, it is way too small to be of much use.

so buy a 12 inch pad. my new simrad, which I put on the back deck, will mirror every thing to a pad including 2 ,3 or 4 screens. i will be using a cheap 12 inch screen on amount as my forward unit. Not getting rid of the c-80 just yet because of radar unit.

JMacLeod

City/Region: Stuart
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C-Shalom
Photos: JMacLeod
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
I have a new Honda EU 2200i and it runs 1500 watts (resistive load) very easily on EcoThrottle. and not a full throttle.

And what are your thoughts on using the Honda EU 2200i with a 13.5k Mach 3 Power Saver?
The running watts are less than the 9.2k Mach 8 Cub.
1075w standard, 1320w desert.
Would an easy/smart/hard assist be warranted?

ssobol wrote:
Seems like a lot of money for starting a $100 air conditioner (at least in my case).

If I was still in my bachelor days I'd think nothing of mounting a walmart unit in the window or bow hatch, but I'm fairly certain that type of getterdone spirit isn't the style of design the Admiral has in mind.

starcrafttom wrote:
Just two quick things. Get radar and auto pilot right off.

Check.
The autopilot is being installed by the dealer before delivery.
I'll install the radar, VHF antenna, solar panels and rod holders as soon as I get an arch fabricated to hold them.

starcrafttom wrote:
Second. With all the chart plotters having wifi and supporting a second station on a Pad , including full control of your system, do you really need a second MFD?

That's a good question.
I'm sure it would work for some, and I'm definitely interested in learning how to mirror so the navigator can see everything on her tablet, but I'm also interested in redundancy as well as true multi-function.

gulfcoast john wrote:
After reading more on the Costco Yamaha generator, I realized that it was not a real Yamaha generator, but a knockoff using only a Yamaha engine. A real Yamaha generator with Yamaha electrical guts would be a steal at that price. It does include a paralell cord, though.

Thanks. You're right, "Powered by Yahama" is not the same animal as "Yamaha".
Still a very attractive price for a bargain hunter.
Unfortunately I've spent way too much on Harbor Freight "buy cheap, buy twice" bargains in the past, so the Honda moves back to the top of the list.

gulfcoast john wrote:
We found the RV 'heat strips' undesirable because the fan blows so hard even on 'low' that the air doesn't feel warm. A West portable or ceramic heater works better for us.

The Tomcat comes with a Wallas diesel stove/heater.
We figured to add a removable induction stovetop that sits on top and keep the Wallas installed for the heat and extra burners if there's ever a need.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And what are your thoughts on using the Honda EU 2200i with a 13.5k Mach 3 Power Saver?
The running watts are less than the 9.2k Mach 8 Cub.
1075w standard, 1320w desert.
Would an easy/smart/hard assist be warranted?

John,
Here is the problem--the Start up load is at least 3x the running load. The 13.5k Mach 3 Power Saver has a LRA (Locked Rotor Amperage) of 50.5 amps. Thus you may have to have the EasyStart (cheaper, and from what I hear, as good as the "Smart Start".) Now the other question is will it run the 13.5K on eco throttle? I am not sure it will start the unit up on eco throttle (which takes the engine down to a fast idle)--see below. The newer EU2200 does have a longer and higher surge current capacity, even with 10% increase in power, it is going to be at the very margin.
The "desert" mode is 95*--and often it is this in FL. Each 5* over this, increases the compressor draw by 1 amp on the Mark 3 PS.

Here is a quote from a knowledgable RV poster, a little dated, as of 2014. He speaks about the EU 2000i and the Coleman Mark PS 13,500, but the principle is the same: (and the air conditioner specs seem about the same.)

Quote:
Not all 13,500 BTU Dometic and Coleman a/c units are created equal.

As has been said many times, it's the a/c's startup/inrush/LRA that determines whether your generator will start the compressor. One EU2000i can produce approx. 54-55 amps of inrush current with the ECO mode off. Approx. 49-51 amps of inrush current with the ECO mode on. Most OEM 13,500 BTU's (with no hard-start kit) have an LRA rating of 60-65 amps. Some EU2000i's will start these OEM units with the ECO mode off, but not reliably.

For those interested in powering an RV a/c with just one EU2000i with the ECO mode on may want to look at the very latest generation Coleman Mach PS (Power Saver) units. The 11,000 BTU Coleman Mach PS (model number 482X7-9XX) has a very low LRA of 41.5 amps (9.5 amps full load). This unit can cool most smaller RV's. An EU2000i should easily start this a/c with the ECO mode on. The 13,500 BTU Coleman Mach PS (482X8-9XX) has an very low LRA of 50.5 amps (10.0 amps full load). Although I haven't personally tried it, I'm confident an EU2000i has a very good chance of reliably starting this a/c with the ECO mode on. Please don't confuse the 482X8-9XX 13,500 BTU Coleman Mach PS with the older model 482X8-8XX 13,500 BTU Coleman Mach PS which has a much higher LRA of 58.4 amps.

For those that don't have the need or desire to run everything in their RV at the same time, I think it's much more cost effective to replace an RV a/c with one of these new "9-series" Coleman Mach PS units (approx. $700-$800) and purchase just one EU2000i. Why spend $2000 for two EU2000i's just for a few seconds of extra inrush current to start a less efficient RV a/c?

The advantage higher end RV's have, is that usually the roof is 6" thick all foam. The side walls are 2"+ thick, laminated glass or aluminum on the outside full of foam, and the windows are double pane. Even with all of this, we still use the Reflextic and / or 3/4" foam board insulation, with foil surfaces, inside the windows of the RV

I was working on my 25 late this afternoon. No air conditioning running, and the temp in the cabin, with fans blowing was 90*. I wanted to open the windows to spray "liquid rollers" on the track, and removed the Reflextic material from the window--the temperature shot up about 5* degrees from the heat of the window exposed to the afternoon sun. Bottom line--C Dorys have virtually no insulation.

I would buy the Air Conditioner I wanted, and a single Honda EU2200i. See if it will run the air conditioner without EasyStart on both eco throttle on and off. You can always add the Easy Start later, and if you want a second generator, then you can add it also--so you can run the microwave or hair dryer, and the air conditioner....? With 30 amps you should be able to run two 1200 to 1500 appliances.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
JMacLeod

City/Region: Stuart
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C-Shalom
Photos: JMacLeod
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
I would buy the Air Conditioner I wanted, and a single Honda EU2200i. See if it will run the air conditioner without EasyStart on both eco throttle on and off. You can always add the Easy Start later, and if you want a second generator, then you can add it also--so you can run the microwave or hair dryer, and the air conditioner....? With 30 amps you should be able to run two 1200 to 1500 appliances.

Sounds like a plan.
Luckily(?) we've been through enough "generator summers" to learn how to balance our comforts on limited amps and gas, and my need for a hair dryer grows less and less each year. Razz
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can run my Window AC from my Honda 1000. I can't run the AC and the battery charger together if the batteries are down.

While some people may not like the window style AC (we put it in the front window), one advantage is that you only need to carry it when the weather requires it. At other times it can be left home or in the tow vehicle.

In some places an AC unit will be used much more often and a window AC might not be the best solution.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: