hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That just looks so great. I talked to the guys at Rodger's Marine about doing something like that. They discouraged me from doing it with the Raymarine RV-100 Chirp and down vision 3D.

I can see so much use for that, Like Jody said --> Lake Powell, and tons of really great anchorages where there is 5 feet of water at low tide.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

krc

City/Region: SF Bay Area
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Photos: krc
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:25 pm    Post subject: Why? Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
That just looks so great. I talked to the guys at Rodger's Marine about doing something like that. They discouraged me from doing it with the Raymarine RV-100 Chirp and down vision 3D.

And exactly why did they discourage this? I was wondering the same... mounting the rv100 in a similar way and really use at no/low speeds when fishing or anchoring or in unsure waters...
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, #1, It would have taken custom fabrication, which they could do, but it would have taken more time and they had me on a 3 day time slot.
#2. The picture on the screen would not rotate 90 degrees, it would, they said, just present a narrow line, not the wide side scan that I was looking for.
#3. They were concerned that the side presentation of the RV-100 transducer would put too much stress on the the transom attachment and on the transducer itself. Even after assuring them that it would only be deployed transversely at 0-2 or 3 knots. (It is quite long and not so narrow, but the mount is not nearly as robust as the P-66 that was there originally.)

I did send them the link to this thread so they could see the pix, but that came about after I had already set up my schedule and I was already there. Didn't really want to turn around and bring the boat home then back again for it to be later.

For now, the 3D view and the side scan views will work pretty well, but for some spots, I will turn the boat 90 or back into an area if I have to. Many places I anchor I can see the bottom (5-10 foot depths) so the sonar won't be that much of an advantage. Where I can't see, it will be a big plus.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Well, #1, It would have taken custom fabrication, which they could do, but it would have taken more time and they had me on a 3 day time slot.
#2. The picture on the screen would not rotate 90 degrees, it would, they said, just present a narrow line, not the wide side scan that I was looking for.
#3. They were concerned that the side presentation of the RV-100 transducer would put too much stress on the the transom attachment and on the transducer itself. Even after assuring them that it would only be deployed transversely at 0-2 or 3 knots. (It is quite long and not so narrow, but the mount is not nearly as robust as the P-66 that was there originally.)

I did send them the link to this thread so they could see the pix, but that came about after I had already set up my schedule and I was already there. Didn't really want to turn around and bring the boat home then back again for it to be later.

For now, the 3D view and the side scan views will work pretty well, but for some spots, I will turn the boat 90 or back into an area if I have to. Many places I anchor I can see the bottom (5-10 foot depths) so the sonar won't be that much of an advantage. Where I can't see, it will be a big plus.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Harvey

Turn on the side view and put one motor in forward and one in reverse and rotate the boat on itself. That should give you a 360 degree view of everything around you.

hardee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jody, I am with you 100% there. Love my twins.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: