The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Brake caliper rust protection overkill??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VicC

City/Region: El Sobrante
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Denali
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:36 pm    Post subject: Brake caliper rust protection overkill?? Reply with quote

I am planning on replacing the Kodiak 225 calipers on my single axle EZ-Loader. The piston is not retracting well enough which is causing some pad drag and unnecessary heat to the hubs. The calipers look pretty rusted.
I have a new set of Kodiak 225 silver Dacroment coated calipers ready for a weekend project installation. Originally I was planning on using a Rust-Oleum rust preventive caliper spray paint on the new calipers before installation.

Is the Rust-Oleum even necessary? Will it aid or counter the corrosion fighting capability of the Dacroment coating? And of course the new calipers will get more fresh water rinsing attention after being dipped into the salt.

Thanks,
Vic
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem with the brakes is that the moving parts get jammed up (pins and pistons). These are machined and precision parts. Usually these cannot be painted. Painting the calipers may look nice, but it won't make any difference re the caliper operation. Better to keep the seals and boots in good shape and lube the appropriate parts.

Surface rust on the caliper body is not a big deal. Get SS calipers and you don't have to worry about the rust.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: