View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Time

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: C-Time
Photos: C-Time
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Dock space Reply with quote

Could anyone suggest a marina to launch and get a slip for a few days near the Columbia and I-5 Junction? I will be working in Portland for a couple of days. Plan to take C-Time with me, stay aboard, and then spend time exploring.
TIA
Ernie
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds like a fun time, use caution as Boatersworld, Westmarine and Fishermens Marine Supply are located in that area....it's a regular cash Bermuda triangle.

I don't know much about moorage down there but you might check these joints out. There's folks about that would have a better idea of where to stay & I'm sure they'll chime in
http://www.columbiacrossings.com/
http://www.mccuddys.com/haydenislandmarina.html

C-Time

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Ken,
I will be on the phone first thing in the morning. A little work, A lot of fun.
Ernie
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a county ramp and parking lot a couple miles east of I-5, on Marine Drive, across from the airport where you can launch and leave the truck and/or trailer. I think it is like $4.00 /night to park. Columbia Crossings would be my choice for a place to moor. They have security and are reasonably careful about clientel. The other choice would be to launch on the willamette river about a mile south of downtown, on Macadam Boulevard, then motor downstream to Riverplace. You can stay at the city dock there for free. If you are working downtown that would be ideal. It is also within a long walk of the launch.
C-Time

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you sue'c. My next adventure will start on thursday. Razz
lloyds

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know how your accomodations work out. I haven't stayed at either in a couple years. Good luck.
C-Time

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Columbia Crossings . $16.00 a night. Has a lot of space this time of year.
Thanks
Ernie
lloyds

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good news. Glad it worked out. They have several facilities within the same area. My favorite was Hayden Bay. It is a smaller one tucked into a lagoon and surrounded by high end homes. A very pleasant place in the evening. When I move up to a larger C-Dory I may end up there again so if anything with Columbia Crossings isn't satisfactory let me know, for my future decisions. Thanks.

PS: As a somewhat humorous sidenote, watch out for the alligators. At Hayden Bay a small one slid out from under the dock where I was standing one afternoon and grabbed a duck as it swam by. This is no joke. I am sure it couldn't survive the winter there, but would certainly make for a great urban legend.
B~C

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$16 sounds pretty reasonable, let us know how it goes. lloyds, are you sure it was a gator and not a homeless person?

In a related vein, has anybody overnighted on the Williamette downtown?
lloyds

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken: The eyes are old, but not so old as to misidentify a gator. Someone corrected me and said it was probably a "cayman". Whatever that is. But it was about 4 feet long and was looking right up at me when it grabbed the duck. Yes, I was definitely surprised.

I have overnighted on the willamette waterfront many times. It used to be a lot of fun during Rose Festival, but now they have it all bottled up on the water because of the fleet and the security requirements. Riverplace is a great place to tie up, and there is an informal anchorage just to the north of the city docks, on the west side of the river. There are now new docks on the east side as well, but they sit right under the bridges and have to be incredibly noisy. Riverplace is just a great place to spend a night or two. Lots of restaraunts, galleries, shops, theatres. Just about everything can be had within about a 4 block radius, plus you can jump on the trolley or the lightrail and go all over the metro area for $2.00 or so. Including out north to the Expo, or the marinas which are just East of Expo. Or the lightrail can take you to and from the airport, which is really convenient. Another good draw is the saturday market, about 300 yards north of the city docks.
B~C

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just funnin about the homeless man, everybody knows that most of the homeless folks in Ptown wouldn't put that much effort into getting a meal Smile

That "Riverplace" park, It sounds like it must be a secure enough place that you don't need to worry about leaving your boat. Me thinks we'll give it a try one of these days
lloyds

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken: Riverplace, to me, was always reasonably secure. It is a substantial dock and also acts as a breakwater for a private marina. But security is in the eyes of the beholder. On weekends there are always a few people that come down to mingle and look at the lights, fish, stuff like that. In the summer it can fill up with maybe 30 boats. But I can remember one time when I tied my sailboat up down there that I was sitting in the cabin and felt the boat rock. I got up and looked out the window and an entire oriental family had stepped up onto the cabin top and others were taking their picture. I wouldn't consider it any more risky than say the city dock at Port Orchard, or maybe Kirkland. But it can really be bustling in the summer. They have a lot of major festivals just to the north of the docks, like the blues festival, the brewers festival, rose festival, cinco de mayo, stuff like that. And they all have lots of music, and people.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: