The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Minimum HP for a 22 Cruiser?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hommeland

City/Region: Walworth
State or Province: WI
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Minimum HP for a 22 Cruiser? Reply with quote

Hello!

Any thoughts on minimum HP for a 22 Cruiser? Need just enough to plane in case of an emergency. Will do mostly idle speed slow cruising & weekend live aboard. No high speed open water in my future. Looking for best possible low speed gas mileage.

Thanks, rh

spuncopper

City/Region: Camden/ Lake Wateree
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sock Monkey
Photos: Sock Monkey
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: min hp for 22 cruiser Reply with quote

Hey hommeland,

I have heard of a CD 22 Cruiser with a 45 hp Honda about ten years ago in the Cheaspeake, Va area, but I would recommend you stay with the manufacture's recommendations. These boats are reasonably economic to operate and the resale value would be better.

Take care and be safe.
Spuncopper
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many people of what size; how much gear; how much food, water, and fuel do you plan on having aboard when you might have an emergency and want to plane?

If it were I, 60 or 70 hp would be a minimum. Others may have first-hand experience that will be helpful, but remember that weight will really make a difference when you are trying to get on plane with a marginal hp engine.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen one with a 50 Honda--it will get up to 10 to 12 mph if kept light--some have claimed more. But, the resale suffers, and the fuel mileage and engine wear will be about the same with a 70 to 75 (I think the 115 is the best power if you are a serious cruiser).
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
I have seen one with a 50 Honda--it will get up to 10 to 12 mph if kept light--some have claimed more. But, the resale suffers, and the fuel mileage and engine wear will be about the same with a 70 to 75 (I think the 115 is the best power if you are a serious cruiser).

We just repowered with Suzuki 115 and are impressed with it. Getting on plane is extremely quick and easy, and I expect to have a much easier time when cruising at elevation.

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes what you need isn't what you think you want. Since you haven't owned one of these boats before, you may not know how capable, efficient, and comfortable they are. You may find you want to spend more and more time on the boat AND get further from home. And then, when the urge to take the boat someplace new and exciting comes up, if you power it with the recommended horsepower, you won't have to "move up."

Good luck with the decisions. 90 to 115 would be my recommendation.
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just want to cruise around on a small lake at idle speed, then a little 4 or 5 hp kicker motor will do that. Try operating like that for a few weeks and see if that's how you really want to do all of your boating (you're going to want a kicker anyway). I think James TXSD is spot on with his advice.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want idle speed (less than hull speed of, lets say, 6 mph,) you would be best off running on an 8 hp "sail drive" kicker (like a Tohatsu log shaft, I saw at a dealer's today for less than $2,000. The slower you go, the better "mileage" you get until you hit a 5 knot current...! The cost of the fuel is a very minor part of boat ownership expense.
hommeland

City/Region: Walworth
State or Province: WI
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Minimum HP for a 22 Cruiser Reply with quote

Thanks for all of your feedback! Not too worried about resale value, really focused on best mileage. I appreciate all of your responses, good input to help me make my final choices. Thanks again, rh
jack keifer

City/Region: Boise
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Squirt
Photos: C-Squirt
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Minimum hp for 22 Reply with quote

With having had both a 22 with a Honda 75 and now a 16 with a Honda 50, I could never think about putting less than a 75 on a 22. This is not a Honda thing but a horsepower thing. The way 22s are built and with 40+ gallons of fuel and 20 gallons of water along with cooking and dining equipment you will accumulate a lot of weight. Then you add in the amount of crosswind a 22 can catch and you will have significant loads to manage. With regard to fuel efficiency, if you keep your speeds down and run a bigger engine in its “sweet spot” you will still get good fuel economy. Two other points, if you have the horsepower and need to get to shelter to beat the weather, you can do it. That can be very important even on lakes. Point 2, and this may not be true of other brands, but the dB level on the 75 (4 cylinder) vs 50 (3 cylinder) seems to be a lot lower, especially if you are above 5000 rpm where you could spend a lot of time on a 22 with a 50.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another option. And it works. Much of my cruising is at "hull Speed" or slightly less, so it is quiet, scenic, peaceful and economic. So, a single 40 works well much of the time. So, you put 2 of those on the transom, and run them one at a time. AND when you need to get off the lake because a T-Storm just blew in, or a squall line is screaming across the lake at you. OR, you are trying to get somewhere against the tidal current that is running at 4.5 knots coming right at you. No problem because you can make 5 knots. Just realize that it is going to take you one hour for each half mile you want to go until the tide turns and you can ride with it.

Twins is the best option you are going to come across, in looking to do what you want. Plus, they will give you way exceptional slow speed maneuverability over a single and especially a low powered single.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Desertbob

City/Region: Lynnwood
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at a power curve chart. It will show the house to rpm. Then you just need to o ow what rpm most people get up on plane with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: