gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat O' Nine Tails for fun on those boring passages, and a sextent with built-in flashlight for nighttime use.
Lollygaggin

City/Region: Kelowna
State or Province: BC
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunkydory wrote:
Two items perhaps not essential, but to me worth there space on a very crowded CD22 are a small generator like the Honda 1000 or 2000 & a ceramic heater.
Jay

Jay, don't you guys find the ceramic heaters cause a lot of condensation?
We used to use an alcohol one and a propane one but got fed up with wiping moisture off everything. The diesel gives us a warm dry heat, and the slight odour reminds us of our younger days when wood and fuel oil were our only sources of heat.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he means an electric ceramic heater, not a propane powered one. Thus the generator requirement. My electric heater does not produce any condensation itself. However, there can be condensation produced by the occupants after a while because the boat is usually closed up when heat is needed.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing in short supply up there, especially in summer months, is water. We took a long a 6 gallon water can. I tied it to the port bow rail and filled it & the water tank whenever I could. One of the marinas told us we could fill but not to drink the water they had, as the fresh water table was so low they warned it could be contaminated with salt water. We did not fill from their site.

I have also begun carrying a very good med kit along with a quality tourniquet. I even had an AED (defibrillator) that is normally in my patrol car. I took it with us. I realize not everyone has that advantage, but the med kit/tourniquet is something everyone can have on board.

Your boat is more than capable of the trip. We were the smallest boat in Prideaux Haven. But we were there and having just as good a time as the 50+ footers...

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I should have said electric ceramic heater.

Tosca, the many post in this thread should help in your decision making, but what may even be more valuable to you is a book by Fellow C-Brat Richard Cook. He has spent more time cruising the BC & SE Alaska waters in a small boat, then any other person I’ve known about. I didn’t get the book until I had pretty much figured it out on my own, but for a beginner, I know of nothing better. It well covers the information you have requested. Name “Cruising in a Big Way” by Richard Cook. The problem is I don’t know if it’s still available to purchase. If not, I would consider loaning you my copy.

The other recommendation is what I’ve first told those, that email me for information on cruising SE Alaska & that’s to sift through the Grand Adventure Forum here & read about the accounts of others who have shared their cruises. I started out cruising in SE Alaska in a big way as a complete novice in 2003 & have written up all of our progressive 8 cruises there. For one starting out there is much to be gleaned & still more from others who shared. From reading these even better more direct questions can be asked for answers that will help you or others considering this type of cruise.

Jay

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard Cook's book is available from Lulu and there are 3 copies on Amazon for $17.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A window squeegee! No kidding...We have been cruising in PNW and Alaska for 2 months. We got ours in Elfin Cove and use it all the time.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! Very helpful. Keep it coming if any of you have additional ideas.

I will compile an overall list and post it to the forum (once I get my crabbing out of the way.....crabbing opens today in the San Juans Very Happy).
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see this one on the list so here goes. I guess it depends on how mechanical you are and how much you are able to do yourself.

A Boat US membership. It has towing available but the thing I use most (in the USA) is the tide table.

Have a Waterproof flashlight, and a good Spot light. The light I use most is a Luci Light, an inflatable, solar rechargeable LED light.

Heat (the dry type is best) because you are going to want to dry things out at some point. The electric ceramic heater does wonders but you have to have 110 VAC power for that.

A small tarp, 5 x 7 at least, to cover the forward hatch both for light and rain, and it will also cover the forward center window to allow both to be open when it rains.

Water purification is a very good idea, as many of the places up north have boil water notifications up.

If you are anchoring, chain is your friend, and a boat length is absolute minimum. Double would be good and more is better.

If you have hydraulic steering, I would recommend carrying some fluid for that.

Be sure you have capability of charging any electronic devices aboard with what ever connectors needed: USB, MicroUSB, Cig Plug, or 110 household plugs, grounded 3 prong on 2 prong only.

If you are going near the Canadian border, have PassPorts available, just in case.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

JOHN C

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
Vessel Name: Mighty Wench
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: radar Reply with quote

The first year we went to the pnw, we probably could have just sat when visibility got low. Last summer in AK, we would have been sitting for some extended times (might even still be there) and would have, for sure, overstayed our limit in Glacier Bay. Maybe it was an unlucky year, but we did a lot of cruising in near 0-0 conditions (instrument boating). AIS receiver was a big help too, but there are lots of boats (like ours) that do not have an AIS transmitter including some (piloted, I think, by the deranged or suicidal) out in inflatables that have, at least on our radar, a weak intermittent return. It was also nice when the radar return agreed with the chart plotter.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Water purification is a very good idea, as many of the places up north have boil water notifications up.

I carry a LifeStraw (and probably should have it in my ditch bag), but there are other options for a tank. I personally feel best about the "chemical" purification, since the biggest problem with water on the Inside Passage is the possibility of gut bugs. I don't worry about leaves and mosquito larvae as long as they are sanitary. Aquamira can be used with marina or creek water to purify only my relatively small flexibag of direct drinking water (the rest gets boiled during cooking). You will have to wait 4 hours for it to kill Cryptosporidium but, believe me, it's worth the wait.

I also carry an Idophor type of sanitizer. I use that when doing dishes and on the fish cleaning station. Sushi and ceviche are always on the menu and the fish cleaning station is always suspect. That includes the fish cleaning station at a marina, so it's nice to have this stuff aboard.

The only thing worse than using a PortaPotti is having to use it frequently.

https://switchbacktravel.com/best-backpacking-water-filters-purifiers
https://amazon.com/gp/product/B00FA89XM8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: