gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Progressive (via 40 years with USAA for all else including Umbrella) Brat. $114,000 Agreed on (incl trailer). USAA gives me thousands back in subscriber account and senior member rebates. Renters insurance includes Flood. USAA bank and credit card top rated, though Barclay's has better rebates on travel, we're always travelling when not planning travel. A part of your FICO credit score includes how many years you've had your card, so I'll never give up that USAA card. USAA has always been good to us. No claims with the 13 boats, and disappearing deductibles after 4 years without a Progressive claim. Only complaint I've heard was from a Ranger 25 couple who cruised to Cuba and "Flo said No"...but so did every other company.
Hope you never have a claim!
John

JimTid

City/Region: Jacksonville
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Lucy
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Insurance policy comparison Reply with quote

Most people shop price and never read the policy. The State Farm physical damage policy (Florida and Georgia) pays up to replacement cost of an outboard motor. Every other policy that I read depreciates the motor. The State Farm policy I purchased was 30% more expensive than Progressive. The liability limit will also determine premium.
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
One important feature to insist on, is "agree value". This should be the real value of the boat--what it will cost to replace, including accessories and electronics.

Agreed, but unfortunately - it's not always available. Progressive, which most folks in this thread are suggesting, won't write agreed value policies for boats that aren't relatively new.

That's a problem for many boats, including older C-Dorys. I encountered it when insuring my Nordic 26. Progressive would not write an agreed value policy, and made clear any claims would use online sources like NADA. For older Nordics, just like older C-Dorys - NADA comes in ridiculously low.

I was directed towards Global Marine over at the TugNuts, and I've had an agreed value policy underwritten by Markel for the last several years. Unlike Progressive and others, who seem to rely heavily on NADA and other sources for value - they'll write agreed value policies based on values shown by a marine survey. Rates are very reasonable as well - as good or better than Progressive, with significantly more coverage in my case.

The above being said, I always cringe a little when insurance threads pop up. The reality is, there are a ton of variables - so online references to a company aren't a great indicator of what others will actually encounter. Especially if you have an older boat that has significant value, you need to do a fair amount of homework and legwork if you want adequate coverage.

cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm paying $600 a year with Travelers for my tomcat on a trailer. Does this strike you all as high?

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
JimTid

City/Region: Jacksonville
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Lucy
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: insurance Reply with quote

Seems that everyone is using the well meaning comments of others and price to select an insurance policy. I suggest that a wise shopper should get a copy of the insurance policy and read it before buying it. The policy consist of definitions, coverages and exclusions. Most policies depreciate outboard motors. The State Farm policy is the only one I found that did not depreciate the motor. Your deductible and liability limits will also affect the price of the policy.
dave

City/Region: Riverview
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Cocoon
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used Progressive for years.
I also use "Agreed Value" coverage.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used USAA insurance for a long time. Then had an issue with a homeowners policy. A long story but the short of it was, they refused to pay out on a claim for a ceiling cave in, then refused to pay an engineer they hired to determine cause, while confusing his job performance with that of their regular 3rd party that just came out, took a few square footage measurements and took pictures of a big tarp covering the damage. Suffice it to say, I will never use USAA again, nor do I recommend them. Furthermore, in price comparisons after that, and consumer reviews, I found another insurer (American Family) that provided better service, and was home based near me! Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: