The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Honda BF40 flush

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frodo

City/Region: Normandy Park
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C Sprite
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Honda BF40 flush Reply with quote

Getting the boat ready for Puget Sound, probably be in the water by the first of the year! Just thinking about the flushing of the twins after use, boat will be in the water at our slip. I know it should be flushed every time used but looking at the process for the Hondas, not liking the idea of removing a small plug to install the flush kit over open water. I can forsee dropping the plug plus the time taken to complete. Muffs seems like a better idea but just wondering what others are doing with their twins? Not as easy as the Yamaha on my sailboat.....
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your motor doesn't have the hose fitting on the side? It is a black hose that appears in the Honda website photos to be on the left side of the engine, just below and to the left of the engine mounted tilt switch. Unscrew the fitting and attach a water supply hose to the hose on the side of the engine (it is a standard water hose thread). Turn on the water supply with sufficient pressure to cause water to come out the pee hole. Run the water for about 10 minutes.

Don't know the year of your engine, but the BF40s on the Honda Marine website show this hose fitting. My '08 BF90D has it on the right side of the engine.

PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This feature was added in 2007 I believe, when they revamped the entire Honda 4 stroke lineup. Fuel injection was also gained that year, and was a big improvement to all of us that have fought those microscopic carburetor jets in the previous generation.

We had twin 2003 BF40s and would leave it in the marina for as long as 2 months at a time without rinsing. Muffs aren't really an option with the boat in the water, as the carbed engine wont run at the tilt to get the skeg out of the water(I tried it!). It never became an issue, although I was jealous of my buddy's yamahas that had the hose attachment feature. They are pretty robust engines and will likely be ok. Use salt-away to rinse the engine when you get the boat back on the hard. Thumbs Up

Frodo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to take a closer look but don't remember seeing the black tubing. Their supposed to be 2007 motors.... thanks
Frodo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked through my paperwork that came with the boat, I may have the 2006 Honda BF40 with carburetor model. Seems odd they would have fitted 06 motors on an 07 boat but seems likely. I just want to take good care of them, only have 340 hours on them and never been in the saltwater. Any advice?
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Yamaha OB's, 40's and they have the hook up for a hose connection like mentioned above. I have been using them all along, but just recently learned that when you use that hose it is not a good idea to turn the hose up to full pressure because that "could" blow a connection under the cowling loose and flood the engine inside the cowl. Just sayin'.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: