City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:

I have one of these on board. https://amazon.com/gp/product/B001FVQHAU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The large size seems a little big for the CD 16, but I haven't tried it yet. ......

The problem with deploying a sea anchor, especially on the 16, is that by the time I need it I shouldn't be climbing out on the bow. The model that I bought doesn't come with a line or the dump/retrieve line. But for $35 it is very well made.

Mark

Mark, I would argue that the 12" is not large enough to be a truly effective sea anchor. The Para Anchor is 72" diameter for up to 20 feet and 4,000lbs (and $309), The one for the boat up to 25 feet, and 8,000 lbs is 128" in diameter. My concern is that with the windage of the pilot house boat, she would lie beam to the seas, more dangerous than bow to the seas. I think the 12" would be effective for drift fishing, to slow the boat's rate of drift.

You are absolutely correct that by the time you need it you should not be on the bow--but that is an argument for having lines lead aft from a strong point--perhaps the bow eye--and launching from the cockpit, and then take the load on the bow attachment point--same for retrieval.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bob, and Mike, Getting out onto the foredeck is not "iffy". In conditions where such a device is needed, getting out there is suicidal. Bobs point about having a preset attachment is good.

I am just back from a trip up to the north end of Vancouver Island, and you would be amazed at how many people I have seen who do not takecare of their boat motors, and will launch, start the OB and be away from the dock in less than a minute or two. (Point is, if you take care of your equipment it will take care of you.) Then you have to take care of yourself - like good planning and exicution.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often we don't get follow up on these losses at sea--but Kelaerin was found a month later about 440 miles SSE of where she was abandoned. She was towed initially by the Coast Guard Cutter Barracuda and towed near to Fort Bragg (CA) where a 47' coastal patrol boat took her into the dock. The owner was called and claimed his vessel.

In today's world this is unusual for a CG vessel to tow a sailboat several hundred miles--but it used to be the norm. Glad to hear the the cruisers got their boat back!

She appears to be in remarkable shape, considering what was described. If the owner had not been injured, could have the vessel been sailed "home"? Hard to speculate, but she is on her lines, the main is trashed, but the genoa is furled and appear to be fine--I believe that there was a storm jib and storm tri-sail aboard. The solar panel and the wind generator were both intact--but could have been damaged.

Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Bob. An incredible story from start to finish. For the owner there are always things that cannot be replaced by insurance.

Regards,

Rob

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting and good to hear the USCG were able to get the vessel returned to the original owner. Boat looks to be in remarkable shape considering the conditions when the crew were taken off, and it didn't wind up on a rocky lee shore.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another boat a number of years ago, was abandoned about in the same area, after the skipper suffered a broken arm, under similar circumstances. The boat was found intact, overt a year later near the South China Sea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: