The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Tomcat CO detector under the steering wheel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjcarman

City/Region: Alaska
State or Province: AK
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Tomcat CO detector under the steering wheel Reply with quote

We have a 2009 Tomcat and the CO Detector under the steering wheel has been going of but the second detector from Home Depot is silent. Any ideas?
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going off with an intermittent beep or going off with continuous beeping?

Mine is usually on the bulkhead behind the steering station. It would go off continually if something got up against it. Even something like a windbreaker. I don't know what it was "detecting," but good to make sure that it has proper exposure.

I recently took it off during some modifications and placed it on the floor in front of the steering station. Later that evening, it did the occasional beep (like a low battery) that drive one crazy trying to figure out what's beeping. The boat was outside the garage, no motor running, fresh wind blowing. I took it off of the floor and put it back on the bulkhead. Problem solved. Checked battery with meter and it's fine.

I don't have an answer for you, but I know that these things are sensitive to conditions other than high CO.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

99% chance its the End of Life (EOL) timer. For all CO dectectors mfg since I started to get grey hair, a timer is built in from the day of mfg for 5 to at MOST 7 years for the limited-life sensitive electro-chemical sensors in the device.

Pry open the cover and with a mag glass look for a date of mfg and maybe a EOL or 'replace by' date. Use your bifocals as well as the mag glass.

New ones with a 7 year internal battery and good mfg dates will be at fisheriessupply.com near you.

This advice, if correct, will cost you a glass of wine when we meet.

Cheers!
John

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with John--it is probably a malfunction, if it is newer than 2009 or end of life if is 2009. There is a chemical reaction and the reagents deteriorate with time.

I use the fairly cheap Kiddie which have digital read out, and use AA Batteries. Get new ones every 4 years.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, John got it, I would bet on that. My End of Life signal came at a dock on the first afternoon of a 7 day cruise. The guy behind me had his generator on the dock, running, and the breeze was blowing from me towards him. Could not stop the beep. Tried 2 sets of new batteries. Even after the gen was off for half an hour, all my windows were open, the back door and a fan running. Finally another boater came over and offered the EOL concept. Took the batteries out and did the trip with no CO detector. (Sorry John, no AmazingOne Prime delivery in the Gulf Islands Disgust then.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

cjcarman

City/Region: Alaska
State or Province: AK
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Tomcat CO detector problem Reply with quote

Thank you for the information. I have already ordered a battery operated one based on the suggestions from the forum. Thank you again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: