View previous topic :: View next topic  
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Forum Moderators Reply with quote

With the goal of improving the administration of this site, and enhancing the value of the many discussion forums, we have added a little color to the online names of a few very trusted individuals. Three gentlemen have agreed to serve as Forum Moderators to help with the organization of the information shared here, and to help us get back to where we want to be in terms of overall site personality and charm (yes, we are a charming bunch).

Two things that have always been very important to me personally are welcoming new members and assuring that no new post goes unanswered.

Just a few nights ago, the tradition of a Welcome thread was resurrected. We really don't need Moderators for this because we have so friendly a group and so many frequently participating members. But the Mods are going to keep a watchful eye to ensure that we don't miss anyone. Every person who takes the time to sign up to our site deserves to be welcomed and made to feel a part of the Pub. All of us need to do a better job of making sure all people who sign on have been welcomed. The new members do not need to reply if they don't wish to, but they do need to be assured that they found the right place.

Secondly, It really troubles me to scroll down through the topic lists and see threads that have been initiated but have zero replies. If someone posts a message, be it a request for help, a simple hello, or just because he or she was moved by the friendliness of the place and wanted to say something, that person deserves an acknowledgement of how much we appreciate it. Even if we don't have an answer or cannot link them to another thread of discussion on the same subject, we should at least let them know that they are not unnoticed. Doing so also keeps the topic closer to the top of the list and increases the likelihood that someone will see it and be able to help.

These two simple yet significant things are fundamental to the long success of this forum. Bill and I by ourselves have not been able to keep up with these for quite a while, and as the membership grows we scarcely have time to wish we could. In those areas, we ask for everyone's help.

Another benefit of the Moderators will be their ability to edit individual posts to help the author correct problems with links, images, and other BBCode usage. About the only editing we ever do on here without the prior permission of the author is to correct obviously misplaced or missing format tags and to fix nonworking links. We never announce when a correction is made, nor do we offer more help than someone really wants. There is no reason for that to change. The Mods will also have the ability to delete offensive posts, but when they get to the first one, it will be the first one ever. So there is no need to think of the Mods as grammar school teachers with wrist-slapping rulers. A good part of the charm of the Pub is that it is just that: laid back, friendly and easy to be in.

Probably the biggest help the Mods will provide is in organization. We never demand that someone puts a topic in right place at the right time, and we don't really worry too much about "off topic" posts. (I still have nightmares about being "off topic" and getting caught!) But if a thread has information on a particular subject that would likely be useful to others in the future, it is best for everyone to keep that information where it can be expected to be found. The Moderators will be able to move an entire thread, or select and split off groups of messages, in order to put it in the best spot for future reference. We have done that all along, and we like to leave things alone until the activity slows down. Then we will move it to the best section of the Library. Sometimes we will leave what is known as a Shadow Topic in the original location, which is just a link to take the user to the new location. The only impact the Mods will have in that area is to make us better at it.

The Moderators, who were selected for their patience and gracious communication skills, will also be watching for discussions that are about to become heated or take on a tone that distracts from the friendliness here. In those situations, we can expect to see some gentle guidance back to a more peaceful state.

As an illustration of just how unobtrusive these guys are going to be, one of the three Moderators has been serving in that role since the first days of the new C-Brat forum, and the last year of the old CBTech site on MSN. Michael (MichaelOnTheClaraMae) has considerable organization skills, and a whole bunch of patience. The two newest Moderators are Dusty (Sawdust) on the west coast, and Tom (Otter-BellHavenMarina) on the east coast. My thanks go out to these three gentleman for being so able and willing to keep our little Pub a place to call home.

Bill and I will still do the administrative chores, like creating and linking photo albums, updating profiles for members, making Event signup lists, and helping however we can behind the scenes. Bill will maintain exclusive responsibility for the forum software, server issues, and other technical aspects of making this all work. I will continue doing whatever it is that I do.

The only distinctive difference for the Moderators is the color of their names in the list when they are online. Remember: The green guys are good guys!

Mike

Last edited by TyBoo on Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:18 am; edited 1 time in total
digger

City/Region: Spokane
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Sik
Photos: Snoopy-C
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Welcome Mods Reply with quote

I haven't met the folks, but I c-brated a bit with Duster. I know he's a good guy cause he's had more boats than I have had, and many are ones I wish I've had. Sincerely, experience counts -- another 20 years or so and I'll be one of the knowledge base. Wink
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike and Bill for your constant efforts to keep this site first class. As is grows, so does the work involved.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing sure, the new moderators will have a relatively peaceful job here thanks to the mellow "Brats" and the common love for C-Dorys.

Anyone who reads and participates in other Internet forums knows it's not so on forums dedicated to politics and/or gun control, where Ad Hominem attacks are a way of life.

C-Brat forum owners (and I suspect the new moderators) make this place a pleasant and informative marina where anybody can tie up and exchange info. So far, we've only had one "GoFast" make waves, but the rest here truly make this a "no wake" zone....

Thanks, C-Brats. Oh, TyBoo and Nerd as well.

Don
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike and Bill-

Great idea! Will be a nice improvement filling a definite need! Thanks to those who have volunteered to serve as moderators! See Ya' at the SBS/CBC! Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Creekside

City/Region: Montross/ Potomac R.-Chespk.
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Passages
Photos: Passages
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Thanks from a Newbie Reply with quote

Mike, Bill and Tom (Otter)
We've been lurking here for sometime since contemplating (then actually buying) a CD 25. This has been and is a great site, and we look forward to participating more actively after our new little "ship" literally comes in . We're expecting delivery of our new CD 25 "Creekside" at Cutter Marine in Baltimore in a couple of weeks. If all's well, we'll "steam" down the Chesapeake, hang a right, and bring her home here at our place on the Lower Machodoc Ck just off of the Potomac R. on the Virginia side. It's been great corresponding with "Captains Choice" through this whole process, and getting many helpful tips. Thanks again.
Wayne and Judie, "Creekside"
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike --

Good idea, and our thanks to you, Dusty, Michael, and Otter Tom for your patience and hard work.

Otter-BelleHavenMarina

City/Region: Alexandria
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Wayne and Judie! Very exciting time -- time seems to go a bit more slowly when there is a boat on order. Look forward to meeting you one of these days.

Best wishes,

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea to have the moderators. It would appear from his recent activity that having Dusty as a moderator has an additional benefit of keeping him around here more often. So we get a double bonus from this - clever move Mike and Bill!
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink great job as usual...but I already miss Dusty's pic. Great job guys.
Byrdman
KenMcC

State or Province: NM
C-Dory Year: 1999
Photos: Vivien C
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Mike,

So glad you are willing to bury the hatchet.

"Probably the biggest help the Mods will provide is in organization. We never demand that someone puts a topic in right place at the right time, and we don't really worry too much about "off topic" posts. (I still have nightmares about being "off topic" and getting caught!)"

Drop me an e-mail sometime.

Warmly,

Ken
C-Pup16 in Los Angeles

City/Region: Los Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Pup
Photos: C-Pup
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: C-Dog to C-Brat ...almost a new member! Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. You guys are great folks to run this site and with such charm! (... and it has spell-check too!) I'll keep rubbing beer on my C-Dog tatoo until it rubs off and then I'll replace it with a C-Brat Tatoo.
Keith, C-Pup16 in Los Angeles
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith...there you go bragging again about being able to spell close enough to correct that the spell checker can figure out what you are attempting to spell... sometimes, when time permits, I cut-n-paste over to microsoft word, then flop'er back .... and even then some occasional re-wording is needed.... or.... I just poke it and send it.... most of the time they know what I am getting at. Good Luck with the tatoo... a reason to drink beer that I had never heard of... Beer Beer
Flip

City/Region: Potter Valley
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Pooch
Photos: Pooch
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as all above, thanks for all your hard work. This is a great site, we used much of the info we found here to outfit Pooch and tips on how to do many things. Everyone very frendly.
Redƒox

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about getting it so I can use my opera browser here! I can't get signed-in at all with it. Crook Disgust Cry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Site News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: