The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

CD25 cabin remodel question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
teedidy

City/Region: Shoreline
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: CD25 cabin remodel question Reply with quote

First off, thank you all for time and consideration with my questions.
I would love to configure the interior of a CD25 in a very similar layout to a Sea sport Aleutian 2600 https://seasportboats.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Sea-Sport-Brochure.pdf on the port side by moving the dinette to the back of the cabin making the possibility for a forward facing copilot and both rear and forward facing dinette seats. I realize that the back seat is next to the head and view and smell come into play, but this way the kids don’t have to touch while day cruising (and less likely to complain). I have found in the archives a few cabin remodels which give my quest some hope please see the wonderful work done to the HAWSEPIPER http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=HAWSEPIPER&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
For older CD25’s this looks possible using similar construction methods that where used on Hawsepiper using plywood as the base material. However, as I look at newer CD25’s they appear to have a fiberglass finish on the interior of the cabin which might make them harder to remodel.

Q1) for the newer CD25 cabin interior, do they still use a plywood base that is finished with fiberglass (or some other plastic)?
Q1a) Does the newer finish make it harder to remodel the port side cabin?
Q1b) Roughly what year did this change from a more simple (easy to remodel) finished Plywood.

Q2) Knowing that the microwave would have to be moved/removed what other systems would need to be reconfigured to make this possible. (either in a new boat or an older CD25 circa 2010)

Lastly thank you again for your time. I know for some it may seem unnecessary to remodel a CD25 and the answer might be to get a Seasport Aleutian, but that is twice the price. Knowing there is no perfect boat, I do believe this would be the next closest thing.

-Troy
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2007 was the last yr for the wooden ply interiors. We have one of the last ones. I suppose one could tear out the complete interior and make a new one, but that's not something I'd relish doing. The newer fiberglass interiors would make the job even more difficult.
teedidy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
I suppose one could tear out the complete interior and make a new one, but that's not something I'd relish doing. The newer fiberglass interiors would make the job even more difficult.

Thank you for the reply localboy. Are the "newer fiberglass interiors" solid fiberglass? vs wooden core covered with fiberglass. I will admit creating a solid fiberglass interior to match the starboard side sounds daunting, I have to believe it is possible. I have seen some really neat and well done builds on this site. 2007 might be my upper threshold for a used CD25 if it is determined it is not possible.

-Troy
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Th newer models with fg interiors are molded units with wooden doors & drawers that are part of the boats; they are glassed in. The older pw ones have the interior panels/cabinet boxes screwed down via L brackets and the joints to the boat are caulked. The wood interior is much easier to "remodel", but I still wouldn't relish it to the extent you are contemplating. That said, it could be done I suppose. There is not as much wiring, hoses etc on the port side. The shore power circuit breaker panel, water heater, battery charger, shower sump...
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our 2007, hull started in January 2007, is an all fiberglass interior. Even though I have built fiberglass boats, I would not try and remodel this fiberglass interior. It turns out I really like the fiberglass interior.

Could you do this? Yes, You would have to move the water heater, and perhaps the refrigerator. The seats may not be as large as before--and you might have to sacrifice the leg room. One possibility is to open up the port bulkhead as in my boat, where there is no structure from the "dash console" to the floor--looks like the Tom Cat--all open, and this gives more leg room...in the seat forward. The seats as they are are too large (fore and aft. You could also make wider.

How are your skills as a woodworker and cabinet maker. Some could do better than factory job. Remember these are made with 3/4" plywood, which have an overlay, like melamine. Also teak trim is very very expensive. Also you have to buy new upholstery for the seat cushions...

The re-sale might be better or worse? An unknown. Where to put a microwave? probably suspended from the roof over the galley---but most microwaves need clearance, and this may not give it to them--also may have to re-route wiring and add other electrical circuits.

The shower sump will now be under the back seat, the 110 v panel and battery charger will have to be removed.

It can be done, and may be an improvement--ask if the factory can do it--the same factory makes the Sea Sport 26. It just takes $$$.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
teedidy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again everyone for your thoughtful replies.

thataway wrote:
ask if the factory can do it--the same factory makes the Sea Sport 26. It just takes $$$.

That is a great option for a new boat and finding an older wood cabinet boat is another for our first Dory, as long as I have options to present to the boss.

We are still about a year out from our boat, we have just submitted the paper work to the city for a permit to pour a concrete boat parking pad next to our house which is within 65 ft of a stream.

Back to the question of talking to the factory, Does one talk directly to them, or do I need to go through a dealer?

-Troy
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy,
I would talk directly to them. If you want to put it in a used boat, ask if they can just make the moldings for that part of the boat. The C Dory 25 does not have a floor except the inner layer of the hull. Thus in these boats, the port and Starboard components of the interior are made separately. It is possible that the Sea Sport is all in one piece. If that were the case, then they may be reluctant to do a one off. Also if they will do a port side for the 2600, then you may be in business to buy a fiberglass interior, and cut it (very carefully) out, and then drop the Sea Sport in place. This might entail taking the roof off, but taking it off and then putting it back on is not as difficult as it might seem, and is very "doable", if you are a good glass worker... I doubt that you would get the port side all molded thru the narrow door.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: