The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Any experience towing a TomKat with an F-150 or similar?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JMacLeod

City/Region: Stuart
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C-Shalom
Photos: JMacLeod
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Any experience towing a TomKat with an F-150 or similar? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Tossing around different options between a house with dock, rack storage, and trailering.
I like the idea of the C-Dorys for trailering, and was wondering about anyone's experience towing with something similar to an F-150.

If I'm not forced to trade-up my truck (2014 F-150 XLT), it'll be easier to justify the $20-40k premium of the TomKat over an equivalent 26-28' cruiser to "the Admiral".

Thanks!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The C Dory 25 will be int the 7500 to 8000# range on the trailer. The Tom Cat will close to 10,000, and I have heard of some being closer to 11,000#. There are some of the newest 150's which are rated to two close to that, but usually a 5th wheel, or pole hitch type. Many require an equalizing hitch after a certain weight. This may require (suggested for the Tom Cat--and others) electric over hydraulic brakes..

We faced the same issue--trading in a relative new 1/2 ton SUV (which has the feature of being towable 4 down behind our RV--Something which I don't think is available on the 3/4 ton models.) With the 1/2 ton, you want to carefully watch the transmission temp, maybe put in air ride, beef up the transmission etc. We did this when we towed a 25 all over the west with a 30 foot RV and with a Ford V10. (Put in increased cooler, lock up torque converter, beefed up the towing components, etc)

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
JMacLeod

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it looks like the Dory we find is gonna determine what I drive next year.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Journey On is a 25' C-Dory which we measured at a towing weight of 8000#, with another ~300# in the back of the truck (plus us.) We've towed it with both a '63 Chevvie 1/2 ton and now with a Ford F-250. So you can certainly can tow the 25 with a 1/2 ton Ford, especially a 2014 V-8. Remember to pull the transmission to a lower gear when going up and down a hill.

That said you'll need electric over hydraulic brakes and a weight transfer hitch. The brakes lets the trailer stop on it's own, not adding to the trucks load. The hitch levels out the hitch load by transferring some weight to the front axle, getting rid of the sag and letting the steering work.

I've never towed a Tomcat, but those boats are a lot heavier.

Most people would want a 3/4 ton diesel, but that costs money. I don't think you need a diesel or a V-10. Or a 3/4 ton.

Boris
JMacLeod

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current TomKat is listed at 5400# on C-Dory's site, and an article from 2006 listed that year's model at 6000#.
Add in another 1000# for twin motors.
So far, I'm guessing a stripped-bare one is pushing 7k plus the mfg fudge factor to look good in the spec brochure.

How heavy is the typical cat trailer?
And besides gas and gear, what are the other heaviest weight factors to consider when guestimating total tow weight?
(at least until you can park it on a scale)
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In real life, a Tom Cat in Heavy Cruise mode with half gas (that is 450 pounds alone, kids, 900 lbs for full 150 gal gas) , no water, and provisions for cruising 3-4 weeks is 11,000-12,000# on the scale (as opposed to idle speculation without actually putting it on a scale). Confirmed by my weight tickets and Gene's and BTDT (who didn't include 10% tongue wgt).
No one else posting has ever put a Tom Cat 255 on a scale and weighed it and posted about it other than us three. Simple fact.
Sure, you can can get it below that. Simply leave the bottompaint, bimini, gas, water, provisions, anchors, supplies, spare tire/hub, spare engine parts, wife, coolers and gear at home.

On the other hand, the really good news is that a well cared for 2005 2400HD truck like ours (before Blue Def additive required and performance-robbing EPA requirements) can be had for under $14,000 means this looker could afford a Tom Cat and a good used truck together. (That makes more sense for many trademen who could use this truck for work than it does for us, but we deal with it).

Get a Float-On (Dr Bob) custom trailer with EOH brakes and a Directlink controller and you'll have a rig you can tow anywhere in the continent (including the Rockies) without a permit. Label wght is 2,000# for trailer, 12,000 cap, 14,000# total. We are right at that.
Float-On specifically advises against wgt-ditributing hitches on thier torsion-bar trailers...get a truck that meets the specs of the trailer. (I dicker with Bob on about 0.1% of things like this, while agreeing that honorable folks can dicker about them...and I admit he has forgotten more about boating than I'll ever know).

Happy Shopping!
John

Last edited by gulfcoast john on Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
JMacLeod

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for putting the question to bed, and then some.
Appreciate it, John.
BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Any experience towing a TomKat with an F-150 or similar? Reply with quote

JMacLeod wrote:

If I'm not forced to trade-up my truck (2014 F-150 XLT), it'll be easier to justify the $20-40k premium of the TomKat over an equivalent 26-28' cruiser to "the Admiral".

Thanks!

It really depends on the specs of your particular F-150. Some are built to tow while some are built for show. The old '1/2 ton' versus '3/4 ton' days are long gone since the Toyota Tundra came on the market without a generic rating number (150/1500,2500 etc).

I towed my Tomcat with an F-150 for two years with no problems, but I also tend to travel lighter than Dr's T&G, and fuel my boat when I near my launch site. I also started off with a weight distributing hitch and EOH trailer brakes, but found the truck towed better without the weight distributing hitch, not to mention Float-On doesn't like them.

Another factor is how much and where you plan to tow. If you plan on doing a lot of cross country I would go with a diesel, but if you are more into local boating and fishing than towing with a gasser will be fine

As to having to modify the truck, my F-150 had the same transmission as the F-250 along with a factory oil cooler, transmission heat gauge, 7 pin tow plug and computer controlled towing mode with modified shift points.

Randall

City/Region: Salish Sea
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Moonshine
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new around here, but I can add some personal observations on this.

In March, I bought a 255 Tomcat and trailered it from Half Moon Bay, CA to Port Angeles, WA. I had previously towed a 7000# trailer from California to WA with a 2014 F150 XLT 4x4 5.0l gas engine and tow package. The engine had power to pull over the Oregon passes--if I slowed down and down-shifted. The problem was the trailer really pushed the truck around, especially in high winds.

Knowing the Tomcat and EZload trailer would really push the F150 limits, I upgraded to a 2018 F250 6.3l turbo diesel 4x4. I had the trailer brakes upgraded from non-working surge units to EoH. That combination worked flawlessly. I couldn't hook up the weight distribution hitch parts because the box arrived with missing parts. I towed it anyway. I didn't have any need to slow over the passes at all. and the 11,000 tow load was very well behaved except in huge sidewinds. In probably 30 knot winds, and tow speed above 60, the trailer just hinted at wanting to sway. I'd slow to 60 and everything was good again.

So, from my experience with these loads and specific trucks, I would go for the F250 (or bigger) to tow a TC255 every time.

Randall
JMacLeod

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, for the wealth of information.
My take-away is I'd probably be ok if I had to tow it 3hrs home, bare from the dealer, but after that I'd really be needing an F250 or better.
Either that, or get a CD25.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looks like the Tomcat is gaining most of the replies in this post. And now is the time to put in a good word for the C-Dory 25.

First the Tomcat and the 25 share the same basic cabin. The main difference is that the Tomcat is a catamaran with 2 motors and the 25 is a monohull with one motor. So you're trading off top speed and the catamaran v-berth for a simpler lighter boat. And the catamaran is more stable. It also needs a bigger truck to tow.

There is one person on this site, Dr. Bob, who has experience with both the Tomcat and the 25. When he choose to upgrade from the 22 he went with the 25. I can't tell you why he did, but I can provide a couple of reasons why I would pick the 25. First is the expense: buying the boat in the first place and then keeping 2 motors running, which is not trivial. Second is at the advanced age Bob and I are, launching and retrieving the 25 is a lot easier. Third is the trailering. Apparently, it takes a bigger sturdier truck to haul the Tomcat around. All I need for the for the 25 is an American V-8 and an auto. I'd add disk brakes, but that only applies to trucks of my era. To top it off, I try and do my own maintenance and I'll repeat, the 25 is simpler. Both have the same marine head.

Boris
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100% with Boris. Both are great boats. As just one example of ‘additional complexity and expense’, my TC255 has 8 different water pumps not including the twin engines (some of the stripped-down Tom Cats have only 7), each of which has a 12 month warranty and a life expectancy of 13 months plus or minus 2 weeks, and each is $185 on sale, but they won’t be on sale when the sewage pump explodes and you need one real bad.

If this goes well, here is picture of Moby Dick beside a tractor trailer rig during the 2,000 mile Chesapeake trailering adventure. Perhaps a bit much for a first time trailer boater, though many have adapted just fine.

Gulfcoastjohn

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: CAT 'O MINE
Photos: CAT 'O MINE
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Friends!
After we trailered back from the edge of the Everglades 4 weeks ago, we did some mods and improvements. And most importantly, traded in our beloved 2005 GMC 2500HD truck for a 2019 Ford F250 Lariat 6.7L Turbodiesl 4WD Crew Cab. Eileen, like almost all beautiful women, thinks a big honkin diesel 4WD pickup truck is very sexy. Esp if it has heated and cooled leather seats. And humongous mirrors.
Pros: Best in class tow truck (SAE rated 15,000# conventional, 1,500 tongue wt on included factory 2.5” hitch). No more having to tow with half gas in Heavy Cruise mode to avoid exceeding GMC (not SAE) 12,000#/1,200 tongue wt that we routinely nudged up against by objective CAT truck scale weights. ( I like objective scale weights as opposed to idle speculation).
7-camera amazing Ultimate Tow pkg.
Trailer sway control and Electronic Stability Control/Anti-rollover technology only required after 2012 on all trucks.
Integrated truck EOH brake controller not requiring DirectLink system plugging into OBD port ($550, mine is for sale for $150 now, PM me if interested).
Cons:
Unfortunately, it cost more than any of our first three houses. I hope that as the years roll by, this truck will appreciate in value as much as those little houses did. (One can always hope).
Too big to fit in the garage in our downsized rental house (as was the GMC).
If you love the loud typical clatter of a big diesel engine, get the Ram or GMC 2500HD to satisfy these desires.
We launched again today.
Pics hopefully attached if I followed Dr Bobs always-helpful advice correctly!
Cheers!
John

westward

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Unfortunately, it cost more than any of our first three houses. I hope that as the years roll by, this truck will appreciate in value as much as those little houses did.

I hope you didn't use this logic to convince yourself to buy the truck! All joking aside, you have a seriously badass boat and truck combo!
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gulfcoastjohn wrote:
Hi Friends!

Integrated truck EOH brake controller not requiring DirectLink system plugging into OBD port ($550, mine is for sale for $150 now, PM me if interested).
John

John, did yours come with all the safety features like automatic braking? I've been drooling over the new F350 but unlike you I'm hoping that those who use their trucks for work will have them lower in value so I can afford them!

Is the Directlink required for every EOH trailer out there?

I looked at an older tomcat and didn't feel safe towing it home, ended up buying a 25 Cruiser and despite the rocking and rolling, I'm happy with the purchase. Thankfully my wife and son have strong stomachs. A bigger trailer with Electric over hydraulic brakes is our next purchase, for now I'll tow the boat with my father-in-laws truck.

Good luck on the decision.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: