View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teufelshunde

City/Region: Sebastopol
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Fish Wisher
Photos: Fishwisher
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:10 am    Post subject: Ace pot puller deal ! Reply with quote

Just ordered my pot puller! Best deal I could find $550.00 free shipping and comes with a $70 freebie
https://johnssportinggoods.com/product-category/crabbing-shrimping/crabshrimp-pot-puller/

bmcminn

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1992
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Polū
Photos: bmcminn
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lovely wife got us a shrimp pot for Christmas. I've been told that not having a puller really reduces the shrimp harvested.

Any thoughts on the Ace puller vs Scotty? I have Scotty downrigger mounting plates...
jkswor

City/Region: tok
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Missy marie
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a puller similar to the ace and used Scottie swivel base. Cost about $85
While pulling my 2 pots the Scottie base broke and sent my puller to Davy Jones locker. Cost about $800. Scottie would not refund my $85. Was told their base is made for their pot puller only. I even talked to mr Scott himself. He said they would not give me a refund cause puller was not a Scotty puller
So use Scotty bases at your own risk. I personally am done with Scotty products.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmcminn wrote:
My lovely wife got us a shrimp pot for Christmas. I've been told that not having a puller really reduces the shrimp harvested.

Any thoughts on the Ace puller vs Scotty? I have Scotty downrigger mounting plates...

Shrimping is impossible without a pot puller...unless you are The Hulk. Depths range from 250-400'. We have 400' of leaded line and usually drop between 250-350' of water. Add the weight of the pot, which needs to be relatively heavy due to currents et al, and the currents themselves, and you'll soon realize you have quite a bit of "weight" to pull up. Our pots weigh about 30# each. Doing it with a puller is work. Without one...you'd do it once (hopefully) and never again..and you'd lose shrimp on the pull due to the slow retrieval.

The Brutus works. It's what we use. The newer ones have a "faster" [pull] rate, due to a different motor. IMO it's the minimum of pullers out there. They have a model that mounts on the Scotty base. Just make sure your base is mounted strongly.

I did not use any Scotty swivel base at all. The mount is simply, but securely, thru bolted on the top of the gunwale, with a piece of Starboard beneath it. Under the gunwale, another large piece of Starboard secured with fender washers. It is permanent. I've used it for years with no issues and I've never felt it would fail the way I have it mounted. Pics in my album. I also don't put multiple pots on one line. One pot; one line.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: