The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Real dive ladder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Real dive ladder Reply with quote

While No Pressure is in the shop for maintenance and bottom paint Merry and I went diving on a commercial dive boat. Merry fell in love with the ladder on the Giant Stride.

We've had many issues with the Armstrong ladders we have used for the past eight years. The weight of our dive gear bends the brackets and we even bent one of the ladders. I've contacted a few boat metal fabricators in the area but haven't heard back yet. I'm looking to get a ladder made that I can swing up when not in use and not have to keep it in the head when we're in our slip.

Armstrong bracket

Armstrong ladder

Armstrong Swing ladder. This bracket makes the ladder stick out at such a large angle that it was difficult to jump off the swimstep as well as climb back aboard.

This is what we're looking for. Hopefully I can find someone locally to fabricate this. Jim Simmerman, the owner of the Giant Stride couldn't remember who made his.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks great...but on my 22' boat it would not work...before you install a ladder try climbing over the transom... I dive a lot...and it is almost impossible to get in from the back with any gear on.

What I did was have a bracket made to fit on the side so I could use a 4 step dive ladder...it is shown in my Album.... SEA3PO it is mounted close to the cabin so you can use the hand hold on the cabin for balance...

Joel
SEA3PO 22' C-Dory
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wouldn't work for us. The bracket we use now

bends after only a few dives. We would probably crack the hull if we tried to put our weight on a side ladder.
jmscottjr

City/Region: montgomery
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Punky Brewster
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Dive Ladder up for grabs Reply with quote

I just got a 16 angler and it came with a nice dive ladder which I neither need or will use. If any of you want it you I would be happy to give it to ya for the postage. It appears to be an Armstrong or a close copy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: