The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

best C-Dory to get a family of 4 to the San Juans (WA)?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NW_boater

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: best C-Dory to get a family of 4 to the San Juans (WA)? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum, so my apologies if this post is in the wrong place. I am looking to buy a boat for motoring to/from/within the San Juan islands, primarily Lopez island, coming most likely from Anacortes or thereabouts. We have been enjoying the islands for several years by foot/bike/sea kayak and think that we're ready to take the plunge into boat ownership. Everything I read/hear about C-Dorys sounds perfect, especially that they are safe and fuel efficient, and good for cruising and exploring island nooks and bays, but I am hoping you can share with me some advice on the right model for our needs. We would be using this mainly for the trip out and back and some cruising in the islands (we don't fish at the moment). With college looming for the kids cost is definitely a consideration.

Would the 19' be big enough for making the trip across Rosario Strait in reasonable weather? I'm assuming that the 16' probably wouldn't be big enough for the four of us. We have minimal towing capacity so the boat will most likely have to be stored at a marina.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Take care,
Phil
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're just thinking about day trips then a 19 or 22 footer would work. If you're contemplating overnight trips on the boat then I don't think either of those two options would be very workable for four adult sized individuals.

We are a family of four and my kids are in grade school. When we are on a multi-day cruise we typically camp on shore. We do sometimes all sleep on the boat if we are tied to a dock where we can get out and move around, but I don't think we have ever, all four of us together, slept on the boat at anchor or tied to a buoy.

With our 22 footer, I regularly take four adults (including me) for a full day of crabbing, with eight crab traps.
C-Val

City/Region: White Rock
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Seaduced
Photos: C-Val
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with the 22’. That is what I have and I would not want anything less either on the water or for room inside

I bought an angler as they are cheaper

Good luck!

1988 22' Angler
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 22 Cruiser would be more sensible in affordability, size, adaptability, and resale value in the long run.

To sleep four, you'd need a full canvas enclosure over and around the cockpit, plus a folding cot or two. Two in the v-berth, one one the convertible table/berth in the cabin, and 1-2 in the enclosed cockpit.

Still, there'd be no enclosed head, but I'm guessing that depending on your family structure and ages, the porta-potti can be moved out into the cockpit at night, and the crew re-shuffled when necessary to accommodate the various crew needs for a few minutes.

Be sure to check this arrangement out with everyone concerned.

A CD-25 (with an enclosed head) would be a better solution, however, if it were affordable.

Hope this would work for you.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will get some comments from a 19 owner I suspect. Agree with Joe (Sea Wolf).
You have to learn to drive the boats in rough weather, to avoid pounding. 4 is a load for a long trip, but I know of at least one group of 5, including large teens, which have been successful in a 22. The cockpit is smaller than in the 25. I prefer air mattresses over cots anyway (and spent my youth sleeping on an air mattress in the cockpit of a 26 foot sailboat, often in the open, under an open ended boom tent or with a piece of water proof canvas over my sleeping bag.

The table would be a squeeze for 3, Also seating for3 in the cabin, although a bean bag or folding chair can work in the cabin. The 25 has a wider navigator seat, and can sit two.

On occasion you can find a 25 at 40K or perhaps a little under, but most are going in the 50K to 70K range depending on condition and equipment.

The boats are ideal for trailering--and you may consider some serious on the water as well as trailer (boater home) land cruising to distant destinations. The boats are capable of Alaska, Baja, and Bahamas if you are so inclined.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will get some comments from a 19 owner I suspect. Agree with Joe (Sea Wolf).
You have to learn to drive the boats in rough weather, to avoid pounding. 4 is a load for a long trip, but I know of at least one group of 5, including large teens, which have been successful in a 22. The cockpit is smaller than in the 25. I prefer air mattresses over cots anyway (and spent my youth sleeping on an air mattress in the cockpit of a 26 foot sailboat, often in the open, under an open ended boom tent or with a piece of water proof canvas over my sleeping bag.

The table would be a squeeze for 3, Also seating for3 in the cabin, although a bean bag or folding chair can work in the cabin. The 25 has a wider navigator seat, and can sit two.

On occasion you can find a 25 at 40K or perhaps a little under, but most are going in the 50K to 70K range depending on condition and equipment.

The boats are ideal for trailering--and you may consider some serious on the water as well as trailer (boater home) land cruising to distant destinations. The boats are capable of Alaska, Baja, and Bahamas if you are so inclined.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the biggest one you can afford. If affordability is an issue, go with at least the 22. It can become "cozy" for a family for more than just a day trip, but is a good compromise. I'd have a 255 tomcat if I could afford it. But.....its not the initial purchase cost that has kept us in a 22. They require a bigger tow vehicle, and much heavier duty trailer and braking systems to maintain. Also have more equipment to repair on board and have significantly more expensive engines to replace should that be needed down the road.
NW_boater

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: thanks for the advice Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Thanks so much for all the helpful advice. Based on your suggestions I think we will focus on the 22' models. We may have to wait a little bit and/or look at older boats to find one in our price range, but it sounds like having the extra length will pay off in the long run. If anyone hears of 22 footers available in the Puget Sound area and wants to pass those along to me, please feel free. Also if anyone has advice about how best to get a look at/test out these boats, I'd be happy to hear it. Boat shows? Visit the factory? Bribe local owners with beer/free food?

Thanks again.

Take care,
Phil
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, if you look on the home page, lower right corner, you'll see C-Dory boats for sale. Lots of them in the PNW area.

Good luck on your search.

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you find one that fits your needs, you need to be prepared to move fast on the purchase. These boats can sell quite quickly.
Ordutch1975

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Boatless :-(
Photos: PennyBridge
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am curious - has anyone tried to hang a hammock from the cleats on the back deck? I've pondered this before just never tried it?
"And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch it, we are going back from whence we came. " -JFK
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the group Phil. In addition to the for sale section here, I would also make a habit of checking Craigslist and Boat Trader (and to a lesser extent Yacht World).

You'd be surprised at how many C Dory's arrive on Craigslist and NOT HERE.

Good luck! The 22 footer is the bread and butter of the lineup. Great boat.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: thanks for the advice Reply with quote

NW_boater wrote:
Hi folks,

Thanks so much for all the helpful advice. Based on your suggestions I think we will focus on the 22' models. We may have to wait a little bit and/or look at older boats to find one in our price range, but it sounds like having the extra length will pay off in the long run. If anyone hears of 22 footers available in the Puget Sound area and wants to pass those along to me, please feel free. Also if anyone has advice about how best to get a look at/test out these boats, I'd be happy to hear it. Boat shows? Visit the factory? Bribe local owners with beer/free food?

Thanks again.

Take care,
Phil

Hi Phil. Welcome and lot's of great info here. BTW, I'm available for small Bribes. No beer, but Pizza works Laughing Not that far away either, unless you get an offer for closer. PM works for making connections.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

NW_boater

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: thanks for the advice, quick follow-up Reply with quote

Hi again,

Thanks for the pointers to the 'for sale' sites. I will keep an eye on those. Just in case anybody has a second, I found the following link:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/boa/d/dory-classic-dual-axel-trailer/6622534546.html

and am wondering if anybody has any thoughts, for example whether 60HP is under-powered for a 22'? Are there any typical 'red flags' to watch out for? And is it important to have the hull/engine inspected prior to purchase (I was assuming so).

Hope to join the ranks of C-Dory owners in the near future.

Take care,
Phil
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has bottom paint, that could still be good depending on type and age (but it looks good in the pix).

You are talking about for 4 adult sized folk right? SO, there is not going to be comfortable room in the cabin for 4, unless 2 are in the Vee birth. But you asked about the engine, ("is a 60 going to be enough power?"). I would say not, UNLESS you are doing slow cruise, (read hull speed = 5-6 knots) only. It might get up and plane with 2 adults on board, but I would doubt it will with 4 unless they are judicially placed and would have to be able to move and maintain for ballasting purposes.

The good part is that that OB engine has very low hours so it could be worth something on a trade. For 4 adults you are probably looking at a 90. That is the classic style, so the transom will not accept twins or you might get away with adding a second 60 but that is a lot of power for that boat. I have seen a few with 70's on them but those engines are working hard to plane with more than one adult and and gear on board.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: