The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Praise for C-Dory boats
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Foggy, getting pooped is a consideration on a 22 CD, but it’s just one of many factors to consider if wanting to cruise. I’m one of several who have really tested the seaworthiness of a CD22 over thousands of miles & multiple encounters with varying degrees of rough water without ever even coming close to getting a wave up & over the transom & into the cockpit, in-fact not even into the well let alone into the cockpit. I’m not saying it can’t happen, but think there are many other possibilities that could occur with higher likely hood of sinking a 22 foot boat. I’d like to view a short list from you of 22 foot boats that have scuppers & still match or exceed the other capabilities of a CD 22 in a somewhat equal price range. In 12,000 miles cruising SE Alaska & visiting most all of the marinas there, I’ve yet to come across its same size equal for doing the type cruising we do.

Large mountain lakes like Yellowstone Lake & the large lakes in the Yukon can create the close spaced very steep waves as does the PNW Inland Chanel area where tide rips & other wind/tide conditions can also produce some extreme close spaced wave conditions. I’ve seen & been in many of these in a CD22 without fearing for us or the boat, but getting knocked about plenty.

Jay

DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scuppers are a good thing but a well maintained bilge pump is also a good thing. There is no right or wrong between choosing a bilge pump or a scupper. Each is a personal choice depending on the use of your boat.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, double post.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, the New Dungeness buoy report is showing:
Wind: 22mph Gusts to 25
Wave height: 3.28 ft
Wave period: 3.8 seconds
Wind direction: W - 260*

It is dark out there right now, and I'm not at the buoy, but those are pretty steep, square waves and they aren't even very big, yet.

Can't say I have boated on the Great Lakes, although a year in school in Chicago gave me plenty of opportunity to observe the lake in multiple conditions including iced.

I don't by that there is a significant difference between salt and fresh water in wave basics, propagation or travel. (Consider the Beaufort Scale, it is one scale, and for wind speed, but the wind speed is provided based on the observations of waves on the water.) There is not a separate scale for fresh water and one for salt water. Wave generation is based on physics, wind and water movement.

I may be wrong here but the laws of physics are pretty much always in effect.

Yup, getting pooped is possible, but as Jay said, not likely. I have had water go over the bow all the way to the cockpit on a couple of occasions, and I have had the bow stuffed into the forward wave more times than I can count, water up to the forward hatch many times, and the bow always comes up, the pumps keep the cockpit clear, and as I said, it always comes up and stays right side up. I should say I don't go looking for those situations, and in reality, they are rare. I do know, the C-Dory when rightly driven, will do big seas and not pound, and the cockpit will stay pretty dry unless there is a strong side wind, taking the spray over the gunnels.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I've gotten water in the aft well is when stopping quickly. The wake catches up to the boat about the same time the stern settles.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay - sorry I'm not privy to any data comparing seaworthiness of CDs to other
boats. I have not knocked this feature in CDs only to mention I wished they (all?)
had self draining cockpits.

Harvey - I agree the laws of physics always apply, at least to any situation I can
imagine. I do not agree with your supposition that 2 liquids (H2O: salt, fresh)
with different densities show the same physical properties; wind induced
wave characteristics, behavior of surface vessels and buoyancy, etc.

For your enjoyment Smile, and for those who recognize large (say 30' - 60') waves
and how a few different vessels respond in those conditions, kindly regard the
below link. Without too much stretch in the imagination, I can see a C-Dory
behaving a little less favorably at more modest speeds than the little yellow one.
NB: this computer depiction shows ocean waves and swells unlike the Great Lakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trus6OWFCpQ

Aye.

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't by that there is a significant difference between salt and fresh water in wave basics, propagation or travel.

You need to spend some time on the Great Lakes Harvey. I think you're opinion will be changed. Actually, I found the Columbia Gorge similar to our Great Lakes, when we had 5 foot waves there. After spending some more time out around Vancover Island, I think the difference is, while the waves can be very short spaced and steep in the Ocean, you have a lot more gentle swells also. In the Great Lakes, mostly all we have are the short spaced chop. We also get a lot of "confused" wave action. That is, no set direction, the water is just choppy from all directions! I suspect a lot of this deals with depth and overall size of the water body. Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggy, no Argument from me that there are some differences in the water makeup. I know fresh water weighs less than salt water, and up in the inlets I have found that even in 1,000 feet deep inlets, (based on the chart) the sounder might be showing 3, 6 or 18 feet. It is reading the layer boarder (bottom of the fresh and top of the salt). The waves there are nasty, yes, (Speaking specifically of Knight Inlet now), but I have seen the same nasty waves in Juan de Fuca.

Colby, I have spent many hours on the Columbia and have seen that go from flat to furious (20 - 30 knots wind and 6 foot waves) in as little as 15 minutes. In the Columbia you get reflected waves and winds causing the confused surface situation. Nowhere on the Columbia have I seen anything that compares to the confused, washing machine surfaces that we see here in the tidal exchanges (rips) at Deception Pass, Point Wilson, Point No Point, or Cattle Pass. Yes, the bottom contours have much to do with what is going on at the surface, but these rips happen every day, every tidal change to some degree or another. The washing machine affect is observable on a flat surface as the tide changes and is fun to watch where it begins and grows. Kind of like the water is being tickled and then builds from a giggle to a full blown belly laugh saying, "Ahha, I still have the power."

I would love to boat on the Great Lakes, and expect to some time. I'd be more than happy to accept your offer as a guide there Wink

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

See the tide beginning in the horazontal V coming in from the left. Slightly grayer water.

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on up! Very Happy Actually, thinking about my time on the Columbia in the Gorge, the chop was mostly in one direction. Fortunately following! I don't know what causes the confused state in the Great Lakes. I just know it exists! And not comfortable. Other times, its from the same direction, but short spaced. It's rare when you have waves far apart. But when calm, some great boating! Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: