View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Fuel Fill Check valve Reply with quote

I find that unless I pay very close attention when fueling (and even then) I can easily end up fountaining fuel out of the filler when the tank approaches full. I have checked the fuel vents and they are working, I can feel the air coming out when the tank is filling.

I also recently replaced my fuel fill hoses so there are no problems with them being plugged up and I made the run a bit straighter to the tank with the new fillers.

I have seen fuel fill check valves. Both Attwood and Perko make them. The Attwood ones are inline in the fuel filler. The Perko ones are also inline, but they fit inside the fill hose or at the tank inlet, so there is not an addition joint like with the Attwood ones.

http://www.perko.com/catalog/fuel_system_components/1091/special_application_inlet_check_valves_-_fuel_tank_inlet_fitting/

http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/InLine_Check_Valves-Perko_0635DP0_Inlet_Check_Valves.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzsHIzore2wIVSiSBCh054grWEAQYASABEgIspvD_BwE

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/fuel/integrated-fuel/components/inlet-control-valve

I have one of these. It helps, but only if it is firmly pressed down to the filler neck (the chain for the filler cap doesn't let it seat very well).

http://www.boatstoreusa.com/fuel-tanks-filters/outboard-fuel-fittings/scandvik-40000p-clean-way-fuel-fill-kit/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqJrvmove2wIVCoTICh2p5wBOEAQYBSABEgIo-_D_BwE

Has anyone tried any sort of filler check valve? Did it help?

The only thing that prevents the fountaining is filling the tank very slowly once it gets about 1/2 full.

Thanks.
Ordutch1975

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Boatless :-(
Photos: PennyBridge
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this problem too on my brand new boat. My dealer blames the EPA stuff they have to install these days. I find the issue is when I am on water vs when I am on land. Not sure why it would matter but on the trailer filling is no issue. When on water I have to feather the fuel flow. At Anacortes I spoke with the fueling lady and she said this is common on C-Dorys and other smaller craft.

I wish it was different as my hand gets tired and I hate waiting 15 minutes or 20 to fill my tank.

H

"And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch it, we are going back from whence we came. " -JFK
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is possible that on water, there is more of an issue with the heel of the boat and the trim for and aft being a bit more down in the bow, when on water. I have also had issues with fuel fills with many different boats. I suspect there is some surging in the tank, and that the vent is not big enough to allow adequate air equalization. This the reason they put the fuel fill on both sides of the 25--you should open both fill caps to allow proper venting. Sure, it is convenient to fill the tank from either side also--but not the reason there are two fills.

Perhaps a larger vent hose?

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about it. If the fuel is going to come fountaining up the filler, putting a check valve on the filler will just cause the fuel to come out the vent instead. Although the location of the vent will prevent the venting fuel from making as big of a mess.
san juanderer

City/Region: Stanwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the boat in the water, is the tank vent fitting higher than the fill tube fitting. Many a boat manufacturer, has had fuel tanks built with those fittings more convenient to routing, or where they want the fuel spout fitting. I have seen many Bayliners that had the tank fittings at the rear of the tank. So with the boat sitting lower at the stern, when the fill reaches that point, no venting can occur and it burps out the filler spout.
Also the vent line should rise gradually to the overboard fitting, so no fuel can sit in it ( at a belly in the line ) thus blocking the venting thru the hose.
With the boat in the water, lay a small level on the top of the tank ( through the access lid for the fuel sender ), check which end is higher and hopefully your fill and vent tank fittings are at that end.

Commander 30 Sportfish (sold)
Olympic 26 XL (sold)
Glassply 19 (sold)
Olympic 23 (sold)
Bayliner 38 Motoryacht (sold)
Olympic 20 (sold)
Fiberform 16 (sold)
Olympic 18 (sold)
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody blames the EPA. We used to blame Martians, but the EPA is more convenient.

My tank is not standard, but it does have a common problem with built in tanks on small boats. Once the tank is close to full, if the boat is rocking even slightly, you can hear it "full", but then it rocks a little and the gas in the fill hose starts to drain into the tank, then it rocks back, and a little air pressure in the tank "burps" out of the fill hose on to the deck. I seldom have the problem when filling at a gas station, but it's common at the marina.

I put in one of the fancy vent filters and have never since had anything come out of the vent. Great, but that's not the problem now. It comes out the deck fill. I carry "oil drip pads" (not sure what they are called, but available at commercial fuel docks in large quantities, which makes them affordable). I mummify the hose nozzle. In a pinch, 4 or 5 paper towels would work. Then what I need is quiet. I can hear what's happening if it's quiet. But with a gob of paper towels I get a visual.

Most fuel docks used to have a disposal barrel for the towels. I'm finding that's not so common. At Deer Harbor, we had to walk up the dock with our gas soaked towels and toss them in the garbage can at the hamburger joint. I guess that's because nobody wants to admit that there might be some gas soaked rags that need disposal down on the dock.

My best method for avoiding the issue is my fuel monitor. If it says I used 22.3 gallons, I fill to 22 gallons and avoid the "burp." But each time I fill, I lose a little. Sooner or later I'll be back at a gas station ashore and can "fill er up" and set the gauge back to 23 gallons.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another point to consider is that the "on the water pumps" are often set for bigger tanks and run a faster fuel flow rate. Some places have adjustable pump valves (Roche Harbor is one) that you can, or they can, slow the fill rate down. I always ask. The tanks on many of the 22's allow you to visualize the fuel in the tank. I usually stop when there are at least 3 inches of space left at the top. No fuel burping that way.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: