HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

seat storage / bed uneven

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ordutch1975

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Boatless :-(
Photos: PennyBridge
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: seat storage / bed uneven Reply with quote

I am pondering cutting out a hole in the side of the storage bin under the passenger seat and installing a teak door - has anyone done this? any down side? The issue being that its annoying to always have to move cushions around to get stuff out of there.

Also I am curious if anyone else with a 23 venture has the following problem - when I put the table down and turn the table and seats into a bed the cushion above cabinet/fridge is half an inch taller than the rest of the bed. I am pondering putting a half inch raise on the driver seat to compensate (allowing for better visibility too). I think the raise comes from the "cover" or lid they installed above the fridge. Either-way at present it is uncomfortable for people to sleep there. (usually me when I snore haha as I get kicked out of the birth)

"And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch it, we are going back from whence we came. " -JFK
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would shy away from cutting a hole in the side of the floor storage compartment. Ask Ron or Greg at Northwest Marine Industries about this first. I wonder if there might be a compromise on the structural integrity of the support for the seat or the floor later on in the future with possible stress cracks as a result. Be careful.
I just checked our Venture and we have the same slope on the dinette/bed configuration. The slope is very gradual from the fridge to the table top and then onward to the forward cushion. Just part of the design. At-least your head will always be slightly elevated. You might try a backpacking type therm-a-rest pad to throw on the top to help even things out or else just stop snoring so you don't get kicked out of the forward berth. Very Happy
Ordutch1975

City/Region: Portland
Vessel Name: Boatless :-(
Photos: PennyBridge
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the floor storage I’m talking about under the seat (you can lift up the cushion on the passenger seat which reveals a cavernous space). I m talking about the side of that facing the walk way on the sliding compartment under the seat cushion. Avoids having to ask passengers to move and futzing with the cushions etc to get something out.
Snider

City/Region: Charleston
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kestrel Dawn
Photos: Kestrel Dawn
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Keep me updated Reply with quote

I've been thinking about doing this too. A teak door actually came with my boat, the PO was planning the same thing. I haven't followed through yet as I have other more important projects ahead of it, and we're storing life jackets in there for now which don't require much access.
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harrald, lots of folks have done this in CDs. I did it to both seats, in plastic hatch, not teak.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album530&id=DSC_0050&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I see...the sliding seat storage box. Still, I wonder about support or flex or a warp issue with cutting a large piece out of one side. Get some advise on this from the factory to make sure you don't cut too big of hole to compromise the strength of the box. Good idea though. You have made so many great additions to your boat. Good Job! Let us see pictures when you have completed this.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should not be a problem to cut out the door. Fiber glass is very stable and strong. As others noted, it has been done before--and is standard on the 25's and Tom Cats. If you are worried about strength--you can always build up some more strength by using epoxy and glass tape on the inside of the box. As long as you leave a few inches around the edges--no issue.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 22 is a door in side of each seat. The front seat is the reversible seat from the factory.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: