View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Worry Box Question Reply with quote

Does anyone have a good work aroundif you lose a fuel pickup while on a cruise? My only thoughts would involve using a hose (portable tank?) to pull the fuel out of the crippled tank.

Any other simple ideas?

tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Worry Box Question Reply with quote

Wandering Sagebrush wrote:
Does anyone have a good work aroundif you lose a fuel pickup while on a cruise? My only thoughts would involve using a hose (portable tank?) to pull the fuel out of the crippled tank.

Any other simple ideas?

Remove fitting in top of tank, take piece of fuel hose of appropriate size, slide into tank & hook the other end to your fuel/water separator. If fuel hose is too curly to stay near bottom of tank insert a piece of steel tubing of appropriate size
in end of hose to weight it down. All this should be kept next to the Iodine tablets for when the big one hits Wink
Wandering Sagebrush

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I uses a filter instead of iodine Very Happy

I haven’t looked at access to the top, but last time I was in there it seemed tight on top. Guess I better get off my duff and check.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it plugs you can disconnect the hose from the filter and blow thru it into the tank. That should dislodge the crud around the fuel strainer enough to get you home.

My tank has two outlets and I am only using one so I use that to keep the lid on my worry box, which is usually open for nine other worries anyway.

tsturm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo wrote:
If it plugs you can disconnect the hose from the filter and blow thru it into the tank. That should dislodge the crud around the fuel strainer enough to get you home.

Do Not Suck!! you will never get that taste out.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 25's have access to the top of the fuel tank--I don't think there is any easy way to get to the top (and pick up tube) of the 22. I would just use the other tank.

One could pull the tank out, but that gets pretty complicated when underway.

I have had an air leak on a diesel boat in the pick up tube (actually at the elbow), and carried a spare pickup tube for the diesel tanks on our long distance cruising sailboats.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
nordicstallion

City/Region: Crescent City
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Rylee Rose
Photos: Rylee Rose
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iodine...iodine? What’s this iodine business? Never heard anything about iodine. Never been the brightest bulb in the package, but, iodine??? Clue me in please! What’s that do?
Wandering Sagebrush

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nordicstallion wrote:
Iodine...iodine? What’s this iodine business? Never heard anything about iodine. Never been the brightest bulb in the package, but, iodine??? Clue me in please! What’s that do?

Vern, that’s to purify the water when the Cascadia subduction zone let’s go! I think he was putting one more worry in my worry box... Smile

Bob, worry part 2: that might be the really low tank, and the other tank is bad. I’m thinking my original idea of pumping via a squeeze bulb might be a last option.
tsturm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Worry Box Question Reply with quote

tsturm wrote:
Wandering Sagebrush wrote:

Any other simple ideas?

Remove fitting in top of tank, take piece of fuel hose of appropriate size, slide into tank & hook the other end to your fuel/water separator. If fuel hose is too curly to stay near bottom of tank insert a piece of steel tubing of appropriate size
in end of hose to weight it down. All this should be kept next to the Iodine tablets for when the big one hits Wink

How Iodine Protects Against Radiation

A nuclear or radiological event such as the Fukushima disaster released large amounts of Iodine-131 into the air. In a radioactive event like this, the thyroid will quickly absorb the Iodine-131. This internal contamination damages the thyroid, leading to hypothyroidism (when the thyroid fails to produce adequate hormones) or worse.[2]

That’s because the thyroid cannot distinguish between normal iodine and radioactive iodine.[3] In a situation like this, nascent iodine may save your life.

Wink Wink Wink
Wandering Sagebrush

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Iodine is a halide, it also helps kill parasites and other critters in water. Ive taken many a backpacking trip drinking water with halazone tablets and Fizzies to mask the flavor.

http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/manual/water.shtml
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: fuel pickup Reply with quote

We had problems last Spring had to be towed in 2 times My new merc 2016 would not run more then a few minutes unless one was squeezing the fuel bulb . The only way to get it going was to release air out of the Shrader valve the fuel rail was full of air not gas ? So we changed out fuel pickups and put in 2 new water sep filters one at engine and the big 10 micron filter in boat and gave it new plugs and new fuel and that seems to fix the problem . my boat was built in 05 .So far we have replaced all the fuel lines ,new alum gas tanks new pickup and sending units and new filters every 6 months .
I'm not sure how the fuel pickups are mated to the plastic gas tanks but for alum tanks they are screwed in with 5 screws

If your boat is 10 years or older maybe a good time to look over your fuel system so there are no worries jim

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: