HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Previous Member New C-Dory 22
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptMac

City/Region: Amelia Island / Jacksonville
State or Province: FL
Photos: Blue Manatee
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Previous Member New C-Dory 22 Reply with quote

Hi, All,

I've mainly lurked around the board in the past, but have recently bought a C-Dory 22 Cruiser. Your group does a fine job of discussing all the components of these great boat, which, I must admit, helped me along to buy Blue Manatee. She has lots of nice options and I plan to use her for some offshore chartering. Based on the prices of gas, it may well be an economical decision.

I'm over here on the East coast, about 30 miles to the North of Jacksonville, Florida. Do you folks ever have any C-Dory gatherings this way?

http://www.floundergigging.com
Flounder Gigging Charters
"The Adventure of a Night-time"
904-556-0230 Cell/Text
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help you with the gathering issue but if you click on the link at the top of the c-brats site labeled "The Brat Map" you can see if any brats are near you as long as they registered.
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the pub Capt Mac. Look under Forums, you'll find a forum titled C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings. They had a huge turnout last June at the Eastern Shore of Maryland and another smaller gathering in Nashville last April. I know they're planning on having another Maryland Eastern Shore Gathering this June as well.

Happy boating and hope you can hook up with some folks on that side.
Peter
Otter-BelleHavenMarina

City/Region: Alexandria
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Captain Mac, and congratulations on your C-Dory!
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and good luck with the boat!
CaptMac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the well-wishes, guys, I'm looking forward to many hours, cruises and gatherings with the Cruiser.

A question for Peter (C-Dancer), please. How do you like your Suzuki 90 4-stroke? How many hours do you have on it? I have a Honda 90 on another boat, it is bullet-proof motor, but I have little experience with a Suzuki.
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt Mac,

We purchased C-Dancer during the Seattle Boat Show and took delivery in March, totally newbies. We actually chose and had installed the Suzuki 70 due in most part to the fact that Suzuki offered fuel injection for the 70's and 90's as opposed to Hondas. Unfortunately, due mostly to our inexperience, we spent most of the boating season using the wrong prop. It wasn't until September that we got the right (lower pitch) prop. But what a difference it made. We were finally able to achieve the correct RPM range at WOT, prior to that, with an average to heavy load with two people, it felt like we were stuck in 2nd gear.

Overall, we're very happy with the Suzuki 70. It's very dependable, very quiet, very smooth at low speeds and we really like the fuel injection and once we were able to achieve faster speeds, the boat felt great! However, after much research, after getting good advice from our fellow C-Brats, we decided to bite the bullet and repower to the Suzuki 90, main reason being the 90 is a detuned 115 with the same displacement so we are expecting to have lots more power (in case we really need it) plus we won't have to change the cables or gauges.

So to answer your question, we liked the Suzuki 70 but I think we'll be really happy with the 90. The only complaint I've read about Suzuki concerns the dealer network or lack thereof in certain areas and frustrations some owners have had when there is something wrong. Fortunately, we have several Suzuki dealers with full service in the greater Puget Sound area.

Peter
Mr. Fisherman

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I repowered Sea Lion (22' Angler) with a Suzuki 4 stroke 90, absolutely love it. I shopped long and hard and even gave up a bit more money over the Honda 90 to get it. The reasons were as stated above, a very sound block. in addition it has fuel injection, A self tensioning oil bath timing chain, a higher output alternator and the most important feature.... It was the only motor in it's class that would spin the 20 pitch prop. Add to all of this that I got a 6 year warranty and the Civic on a stick (Honda) is out of the running, well for me anyway.
With my boat fully loaded for Tuna with #500 of ice, and a crew of 4 the motor has absolutely no problem kicking up on plane (and that was before I installed trim tabs) and for the first time I could pilot from the rear helm without having to go to the cabin to get on plane with that load. I love it. It is very quiet and economical.
I was a bit stressed out on about my third trip. I motored up to the fuel dock and the attendant asked me "Hey, you know there is a recall on those motors don't you"? I said, "No, I wasn't aware... what have you heard"? He said, "Yep, they don't burn enough gas!" Funny guy but he is right. My cost per trip went down, I have plenty of power and I can hold a conversation in the cabin with the door open at cruise. Love it.

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
sally's sister

City/Region: chesapeake bay
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: sallys sister
Photos: Sally's Sister
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: c'mon up to Maryland Reply with quote

Welcome to the crowd.

We will be hosting our second Eastern Shore of Maryland gathering in early June..come up! We'd love to have you...We had over 30 boats last year and it was a warm, friendly and happy time.

tom mchugh (terraplane)
Sally's Sister
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: c'mon up to Maryland Reply with quote

I will second that...Patty and I will always remember this short time on the Chesapeake fondly...everyone who can go ought to be there...

sally's sister wrote:
Welcome to the crowd.

We will be hosting our second Eastern Shore of Maryland gathering in early June..come up! We'd love to have you...We had over 30 boats last year and it was a warm, friendly and happy time.

tom mchugh (terraplane)
Sally's Sister

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just might do this gathering again. My sis wants to repeat the adventure, so why not? It was a wonderful time. Very Happy Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
The Fran Sea

City/Region: St Petersburg FL
Vessel Name: The Fran Sea
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt Mac........ Fran & I hauled our 22C up to the Chesapeake last year and plan on doing it again this year.... had a great time and it's a great place to cruise. Like the other's, on land the 22C is our "trailer" and we KOA it and when near water, we "boat" it. Look forward to seeing you. Laughing
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray,

Good to find another skipper with enough time on each to objectively compare the Suzy and Honda. I really like them both – and after several thousand hours running Honda I have total respect for the “Civic on a Stick.” Suzuki is a fine engine -- absolutely no doubt.

My Yamaha F-100 on the 22 Angler is also a great engine, but the E-Tec 90 has so much mid-range torque that IMO it will be the one to watch. My prediction is that the E-Tec with be a best seller very soon and perhaps on the top of the heap.

Dusty
DodgeRam

City/Region: Vancouver Isl. CANADA
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: SeaRam
Photos: SeaRam
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed 100% with you Dusty those E-Tech , will be hard to beat. Got my friend conviced to buy two 50HP E-Tech on is new boat, can hardly wait to take a ride with him. I am very please with my twins Yamaha , but went a order SEARAM my first choice was Suzuki but where I live there is only a few dealers , my dealers sells Yamaha , but I should had stock with my second choice , E-Tech . I would had have to wait to long for those E-Tech they where just beginning to delivered the new engines on the market at the time ! When my warranty will be over I hope to be able to trade them for a couple of E-Tech? Also just curious about why there is not more Yamaha sold in the USA? is it for the lack of dealers? Gary
CaptMac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to those extending the invitation for the Maryland gathering in June. Using the C-Dory in a KOA sounds interesting, since these boats have all the toys, including the kitchen sink (& stove).

To C-Dancer and C-Lion, I like the knowing that the Suzukis have the fuel injection, self-tensioning oil bath timing chain, a higher output alternator and the capability of turning a large prop for heavy loads. I, too, plan to load the boat down heavily for all-day trips out on the deep blue, so it is nice to know that I have a motor that can live up to the task.

I will always believe in the dependability of a Honda, since I have a 90 Honday now, and previously had a 75 Honda on another 22 C-Dory (pic soon to be in my photo album). Annual tune-ups and oil changes are the only maintenance they ever seem to need. To Sawdust and DodgeRam, I've heard only good things about the E-techs and Yamahas as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: