The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Why not twin kickers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to become good at something, anything really, you have to practice.
Practice, practice, practice. Natural ability comes in here a bit so those with it
may have to practice some less. Of course, 'the champs' at anything have natural
ability and also practice a lot (pro sports, olympics, construction trades, etc). In
fact, to get really really good (i.e., "Master") something may take repetitions in the
order of 10,000 times. Go figure the time involved...

With boat docking, the same applies except for luck (don't count on it).

In my experience, it is best and far better to practice docking a boat in various
weather conditions using someone else's boat.

Aye.

gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: wander Reply with quote

BillE,

The wander tendency in idle is inherent in the design and there is no reasonable cost efficient way to overcome it.
The F150 exhausts out the prop hub, and even in neutral it’s a surprising amount of forward thrust. Around the docks, I’m in neutral more (time wise) than in forward or reverse gear.
To make a really tight turn from idle, (650 rpm) FIRST turn the wheel 2.5 turns (about 3 is max) in Neutral BEFORE pushing into Forward. A bit more than 650 rpm (say 7-800) will really swing it around, but seldom needed. In a narrow marina fairway, this combined with going back to neutral, turning the other way and then some Reverse at idle you almost can do a 360. Agree, practice all this in calm wind and water away from the marina with a float for reference.
Soon the mate will be adjusting fenders by throwing ‘bo-lins’ and clove hitches around the rails, in the dark with one hand, but until then “Fender-grip” cheaters make it very easy to make instant adjustments to fender hgt for different docks and can be tied to the roof rails to free up cleats for dock lines. Fenders come on sale for 40% off all the time. Like a case for your cell phone but even more waterproof.
Use pilings against the rub rail when needed to assist in tight turns or wind. The rub rail is made for this and won’t be hurt.
Choose marinas with “floating docks” when possible so you won’t have the bow get stuck under the dock at 2am with a very low tide (that has not happened to us since Friday, however).

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=fendergrip&tag=geminipcstand-20&index=aps&hvadid=33778667696&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_6th9i3k5f_e

You will get some scrapes and dings, many can be wet-sanded out with 400/800/1000 grit. Every 3-5 years pay a pro to fix them all to look good as new it they bother you.
Never, EVER yell at each other on the boat or off. Laugh a lot. We saw a boat named “Dammit, Jill!” Don’t be that boat.
The F150 has a lot of ‘prop rattle’ at idle. This was first described in ancient caveman pictographs and nothing much has changed since. You can get a Yamaha special SDS prop for a bit over a Boat Unit ($1,000) or just add 50-100 rpm and it will stop. It’s harmless.
Replace the trailer with an aluminum/SS with EOH SS or ceramic brakes, Goodyear Endurance (USA made) tires and you’ll be ready to trailer to the West Coast, even though you don’t plan on it now. We wasted $3,500 trying to upgrade the old trailer, but the new (2015) Wefings/Bob Austin Float-On is the best $9500 (yours would be cheaper) we’ve ever spent on boating. And only 1/3rd the cost of your idea!
Cheers!
John
Probably somewhere between the Tred Avon River and Kent Island Narrows on the Chesapeake, look for Cat O’ Mine AIS signal on Marinetraffic.com

Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillE wrote:
while still having steering on the main engine.

I have a 4.5 kicker on my fishing boat(16'Thundercraft). It is mounted well over to port. Trolling out on the lake I set the throttle with tiller straight then steer using the main as a rudder. Works good except that the boat steers sharply to starboard and in a much wider arc to port. This being because of the thrust on the port corner of transom.

Twins would no doubt correct that! Cool I also like your theory about using twins for the weight and ease of man handling the engines. Not to mention how cool they would look!

Harvey, I understand steering and spinning the boat in its own length etc. but am curious how do you "crab the boat sideways" with twins? I have never had twins on a boat.

Regards,

Rob

Fairbro

City/Region: Prescott
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Minnie Swann
Photos: Minnie Swann
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of things I overlooked while learning to dock 35 years ago was that neutral can be very useful in making a boat go where you want it to. Don’t forget you have neutral. I made the early mistake of thinking I needed power in forward or reverse constantly while maneuvering for docking. Bumping the throttle just far enough to engage forward for a second or so at idle (or of course reverse) is like hitting a slow motion button. Steer too of course, it’s like the jet nozzles on those space capsules. It helps you know how much wind and current are actually effecting your boats direction and keeps you from compounding mistakes in judgement. Another thing it took a while to learn is that with twins you can slow docking down by shutting down one motor at idle speed then you have even less thrust and it’s drag swings the bow to port or starboard depending on which one is dead.

It's something in the water!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert H. Wilkinson wrote:

Harvey, I understand steering and spinning the boat in its own length etc. but am curious how do you "crab the boat sideways" with twins? I have never had twins on a boat.

Regards,

Rob

Actually you can walk the boat sideways with a single, using prop walk in reverse--I do this most of the time as I dock--and agree neutral is very important. You put the wheel hard to starboard, and then kick the bow toward the dock, with a little nudge in forward, then back, let the boat slide bow to starboard, and then reverse, which in a right hand prop, will pull the stern to starboard. The same idea in twin screw boats--it is easiest with counter rotating inboards--because of large props, and often no keel. The Tom Cat is a bit of a more challenge, but can be done--the narrow hulls act as a keel.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, I have tried that and it seemed like I was just going back and forth in the same arc. I will experiment with it some more.

Speaking of neutral - a slip we had last summer was a starboard tie but our approach meant we had to go past the slip. I found the best way into the slip was to start an arc in the fairway then engage neutral and sit crossways in the fairway until the turbulence from prop wash and wake abated. Then enter slip in calm water. In the confines of a slip a lot of prop wash can thwart your best efforts.

Regards,

Rob
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert H. Wilkinson wrote:
Thanks Bob, I have tried that and it seemed like I was just going back and forth in the same arc. I will experiment with it some more.
Then enter slip in calm water. In the confines of a slip a lot of prop wash can thwart your best efforts.

Regards,

Rob

It is the amount and duration of thrust, which is important. It is not immediate, and you want to get the bow headed toward, the dock--wait, and then short reverse, so that you don[t really gather sternway, The denser water deeper, helps with the right side walk of the prop in reverse. With the inboards, you just use the shifters, leaving the rudder hard to the direction you are going--and using the inboard in reverse, which has the proper walk toward the dock.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: