The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Why not twin kickers?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillE

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: BillE
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Why not twin kickers? Reply with quote

Crazy idea? Here is where I'm coming from. My only time at the helm of a C-Dory came when Tom (Avidmagnum) let me try C-Otter, where I noticed that at slow speeds there was a bit of "wander" to deal with, lots of constant correction needed to counteract the wind. And I've been reading hardee's posts on the virtues of twin engine maneuverability, which is only needed at slow speeds. And, I'm going to need a kicker anyway, one sufficient to move my coming C-25 (single, older, unknown reliability F150) out of potential harms way. So the idea came to me; why not two smaller kickers mounted outboard for maneuverability when docking? I see cost and weight and a crowded transom as the drawbacks, but would one gain the benefits of twins when docking and working against wind and/or current?
I've never seen or heard of this so it's probably a foolish idea, but I'm willing to expose my foolishness here! Any thoughts?

BillE

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And is there any way to remotely control two small outboards? I may have just answered my own question there.
Fairbro

City/Region: Prescott
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Minnie Swann
Photos: Minnie Swann
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will encounter all kinds of chalenges in docking. There is no magic single solution that will erase occasional embarrassment. I have found that the best cure although the least studied and least expensive is also the least practiced: Study and Practice.

It's something in the water!
DW

City/Region: Mount Vernon
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Wicked Pissah
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairbro wrote:
You will encounter all kinds of chalenges in docking. There is no magic single solution that will erase occasional embarrassment. I have found that the best cure although the least studied and least expensive is also the least practiced: Study and Practice.

Emphasis on the PRACTICE.
BillE

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes of course, but boaters buy thrusters for a reason. Some want any help available.
Fairbro

City/Region: Prescott
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Minnie Swann
Photos: Minnie Swann
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thrusters are wonderful. Practice is a lot less expensive though. You would still have to practice with them in strong current and windy conditions. Not a lot different than flying though I suppose.

Last edited by Fairbro on Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The twin kickers will probably not stop wandering. Twin screw inboard power boats have that problem, as well as single screw outboards.

Agree, the rigging would be way too complicated--and expensive--

A good way to practice is to take your boat hook, tie a fender to each end, and go out on a windless day (no current) practice docking next to the floating fenders. Then try it on a windy day...Practice makes....

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Why not twin kickers? Reply with quote

BillE wrote:
why not two smaller kickers mounted outboard for maneuverability when docking?
I've never seen or heard of this so it's probably a foolish idea,

Bill, your not alone! I've considered this possibility as well. I've even wondered if you could use the main and a high thrust kicker for maneuvering. You would probably have to rev the kicker up higher than the main at idle to produce equivalent thrust.

As for wander, is there a manufacturer that offers a kicker sized motor with counter rotating prop? Suzuki maybe? One rotating right and one left might alleviate the wander problem.

I believe there is a Cbrat with a main and kicker with regular twin controls at the helm. One controlling the main and other the kicker.

Twin controls for twin kickers could also be installed on the rear bulkhead in the cockpit. Good for backing into a slip.

Hey I think you should try this just so you can let me know how it works out! Mr. Green

Regards,

Rob

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without remote controls for the Twins (kickers) it would probably not work (well). You need to be able to feather the speeds of either the forward or reverse engine to make your boat do the twist. But there is always this. At a slip in Friday Harbor I have seen 2 boats with sets of twins. Yes, a set of twin 250 side by side and a set of something like 15s mounted on the outside. The twin kickers had controls in the cockpit.

This was on a 27 - 30 foot boat, like an Ocean Roamer or equivalent and he was using them to back into his slip. As you can imagine, I complimented him on his use of twins Laughing

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of comments.

Avidmagnum's boat is a 22, you're getting a 25. The 25 will handle a bit differently than the 22 due to the increased size and mass, it will get blown around a bit less.

Many have responded as if you were experiencing prop walk but from your post, it would appear that the "wander" you refer to is the tendency of the wind to push the boat around. This is a bit of a problem for these relatively flat bottomed boats when docking as there isn't a lot of boat below the water to prevent the wind from pushing it around. This is especially a problem when the wind is slightly off center of head on as the bow is easily turned. While there are technical solutions to this, they all cost money and are not (IMO) necessary for a boat of this size/complexity. As others have intimated, with practice one can dock these boats under most any condition - it's just not that hard.

That said, a cheaper (and probably more useful) technical solution for docking would be a remote controlled bow mounted electric trolling motor.

Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more comments:

While I had a 22 the boat that Bill ran was my 25. I’ve found that many people that are new to the boat oversteer. This is corrected with more time at the helm. What was that word... practice?

Most 25’s are heavy in the stern, the C-Otter is with one kicker.

My advice....relax and enjoy your new purchase. Take it out on nice days at first. Don’t make a lot of changes till you get to know your boat.

Build your confidence over time docking. Learning is half the fun.

Time to go fishing... Tom

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill: Two kickers sounds like overkill. But check out this product. It's a wireless stern thruster and needs no modification to the hull. Pretty neat unit! Im considering it for my boat. About $2k.

https://youtu.be/gaZnZD2EmL4

https://www.dockstarthrusters.com

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
A couple of comments.

Avidmagnum's boat is a 22, you're getting a 25. The 25 will handle a bit differently than the 22 due to the increased size and mass, it will get blown around a bit less.

Many have responded as if you were experiencing prop walk but from your post, it would appear that the "wander" you refer to is the tendency of the wind to push the boat around. This is a bit of a problem for these relatively flat bottomed boats when docking as there isn't a lot of boat below the water to prevent the wind from pushing it around. This is especially a problem when the wind is slightly off center of head on as the bow is easily turned. While there are technical solutions to this, they all cost money and are not (IMO) necessary for a boat of this size/complexity. As others have intimated, with practice one can dock these boats under most any condition - it's just not that hard.

That said, a cheaper (and probably more useful) technical solution for docking would be a remote controlled bow mounted electric trolling motor.

I certainly agree with the practice. Even thought it may have seen I was referring to "prop walk"--, it was more the form of the hull--the deeper the V the more erratic the steering...but not always true. I have experienced erratic steering in a single I/O with dual counter rotating props at low speeds, more because of the hull shape. Wind and current are also factors.

Definitely "oversteering" is an issue, and as my dad told me many years ago "You have already broken the Dragon's back". This referred to a old Chinese custom of over steering as a voyage began to break the mythical dragon's back, which might bring them ill winds or seas--and assure a tranquil voyage. I learned that a very light touch on the helm is desired. I find that many times neophyte male sailers are more likely to oversteer than female. Also that often female racers have a lighter and finer touch at the helm. Generally the more experienced the boater is, the less motion of the helm is required. Also a reflex is acquired to anticipate, and minor corrective action is taken before the boat actually begins to turn or yaw.

The hardest type of boat to handle in reverse, for me, is the long keel, with rudder behind the keel. sailboat, with a prop shaft offset to one side--often to port. On of the easiest boats to maneuver in both forward and revers, is a fin keel or short keel, sailboat with a large spade rudder, and the prop in front of the rudder, so that the prop wash is directed to one side or the other, as is true in outboard vessels. All in all, single outboard vessels, are relatively easy to handle.

Another factor not mentioned is the fact that there are none of the small outboard kickers which are counter rotating--and the counter rotation, is the beauty of twin screws. Yes, many say that even with counter rotation, the twin screws are more maneuverable, but not in comparison with twin screw, both inboard and outboard, where there are counter rotation props. In that case, prop walk does play a major role.

Tom and Joyces' C Ottor C Dory 25 was one of the inspirations when we choose our recent purchase of a second 25. (Air Head and Deckadence carpet included).
BillE

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Otter also has the coolest cockpit covering around! Hey guys, I know I need to learn to drive the boat, and I'm also aware that it was me as much as the boat who was "wandering". I'm just speculating online while I wait for my boat to arrive, and I always enjoy hardee's advocacy of Twins, so I thought that I would throw the idea out there.
Also a bit appealing is the fact that I can carry a 4 to 6 HP outboard but would prefer not to be manhandling an 8 or 9.9 or bigger, So, the idea of two lighter outboards that would be helpful when docking came to mind. I knew that since I had never seen it done that is was probably a no-go, but we got something else to talk about, anyway.

But back to hardee's method of locked wheel and using opposing throttles, it does seem that one might not need any steering for those hypothetical twins used as thrusters but only the remote throttles, while still having steering on the main engine.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"But back to hardee's method of locked wheel and using opposing throttles, it does seem that one might not need any steering for those hypothetical twins used as thrusters but only the remote throttles, while still having steering on the main engine."

When using the "opposing throttle" steering the wheel is not locked, BUT it does need to be centered. Not having it centered will results in strange and unusual results, not suited for close quarters control.

As to wandering and blowing around, it is rare that there is not plenty of time to put the OB's into Neutral, and walk back to the cockpit, grab both the stern and bow line, (Both easily reachable from just outside the door) and step up and onto the dock. When leaving the dock, I have time to untie, secure the lines, remove the stern fender, ship the mid ship fender, and secure the forward fender, all from the cockpit and then walk to the helm, and spin the boat away from the dock again using the opposing throttle maneuver.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: