The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

The 4 letter word...WOOD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: The 4 letter word...WOOD Reply with quote

Guys, this is so amazing. I'm sure the C Dory gods won't mind too much....

I came across this ad for a Diesel Duck on YachtWorld. 2013, 40 footer, 13 beam etc and I noticed the price was about 50% less than it should be (approximately).

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2013/Diesel-Duck-40-3017643/Chicago/IL/United-States?refSource=standard%20listing#.WxS0jDQvyj4

Anyway, long story short it's a woody. WOODEN hull. Okay, so that accounts for the cheap price BUT check out the build blog/pics. OMG, it's amazing......The builder/build seems like top class. Would I ever buy a wooden yacht?? Short answer, no. But would I feel a heck of a lot more comfortable buying one from 2013 with a build quality like this one!? YES. I have a feeling this boat could probably be had for like $185-190K......

http://www.wood-boats.com/new_construction_old_photos.html#old

PS: Look at every pic and use Google to check the terms you're not familiar with. It will take a while to go through all the pics!

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The C-Dory is my first plastic boat. The learning curve on gel coat blisters, condensation, stress fractures, delamination, noise abatement, etc., is probably less than learning about wood boats, but there is nothing to fear about a wooden boat in good condition.

I was just reading about Cook's "Voyage of Discovery" where he severely damaged the hull and went up the Endeavor River to haul out and repair (over several months) at what is now called Cooktown. The writer claimed that this, not Cook's exploration and map making, was his greatest achievement. So, historically, wood works and definitely has its advantages.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the idea of wooden boats. I've been subscribing to Wooden Boat magazine for years and read them cover to cover. One of the better boating publications out there in my opinion. Yet I still have never owned a wooden boat. One day I'd like to own one, but the reality is I wish I had more time to use my c-dory more than I do now. If I had to do the caulking, and annual maintenance of a wooden boat, Id never have time to actually go on the water. At least not until retirement one day. It is a beautiful vessel. I'm not sure if its a good deal or anything about its value. The affordable ones I've looked at would probably bankrupt me by the time I fixed everything. So thankful there are still people out there building and working on these though, it's a real art and a tradition that might die out otherwise.
Fairbro

City/Region: Prescott
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Minnie Swann
Photos: Minnie Swann
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After looking at every picture this morning I think I would feel very guilty offering them less than asking. I have always liked George Buehler designs so thanks for the post. If anyone wants to follow another “Troller Yacht” being built check out and subscribe to “Salt and Tar” on YouTube. A couple of cute kids with skills and determination plus sensible goals and ambitions. Also If you google “George Buehler Boats” be sure to click on his “Design Philosophy” link. Fun read!
PS: Can you imagine the mods if a C-brat bought it?

It's something in the water!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the 4 letter word...I grew up on wooden boats, and owned a couple--until I could afford a fiberglass boat. (Polyeste rmites, osmosis and all).

We used to figure 10 hours of work on the boat for each hour of sailing.

One thing which struck me, about this build, is that they used wood with knots.

If I was going to build a wooden boat, it would be cold molded/triple planked. I have several friends who have spent t. heir lifetimes dedicated to one wooden boat. One's boat was built in the early 1930's. His reconstruction was such that he has guaranteed that the boat will see its 100th birthday, even though he will probably not be there.

A well built wooden boat, properly maintained will last a very long time. A Marine Surveyor friend, was telling me about a remarkable boat he had just surveyed about 8 years ago. Yes, it was the boat my dad owned for about 30 years. I was amazed that it was still around. The sisters ship to my grandfather's boat is in the San Diego Maritime museum. She is being restored (again).

We met a group of mariners on the East Coast in 1983, who had dug up a semi intact 50 footer in a fresh water river in Africa. The frames and planks were in good enough shape, that they were able to cross the Atlantic. Their research showed that the vessel was over 150 years old at that time...

I'm too lazy to own a wooden boat, but I sure appreciate the people who take care of them!.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Chuckpacific

City/Region: SW PDX
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Big Sky
Photos: Big Sky
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive 'build' pic sequence but I'm a little leery of an 80 hp power plant for a 40' boat.
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuckpacific wrote:
Impressive 'build' pic sequence but I'm a little leery of an 80 hp power plant for a 40' boat.

Don't be. Keep in mind its a full displacement hull. Many Nordhavn 40's have a single 105 hp Lugger engine. And they weigh a LOT more than the wooden Diesel Duck.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, go take your meds that footitis disease is creeping in again Mr. Green

The Diesel Duck is a very simple, capable passage maker. I have read about them and admired them many times. The design has been built in many different countries and with many different materials. Next to the Cdory they might be the most customized/individualized boat out there!

A friend of mine makes his living(a very good one) restoring old wood boats. He is very passionate about them and has little liking for fiberglass. One Coast Guard boat that he bought had been fiberglassed over - he stripped it and restored it to its former wooden self. I have been in a few of his boats and they do have a different feel and sound to them as they pass through he water.

I posted some pics of one we were in last summer a beautiful Muskoka classic. http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2832&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Regards, Rob

South of Heaven

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert H. Wilkinson wrote:
Jason, go take your meds that footitis disease is creeping in again Mr. Green

That's funny! You're not entirely wrong either....But my normal spate of time between purchases will be longer! I do see myself in a 40' ish trawler but not for a few years. My current boat is awesome.

My 40th birthday is creeping up in a few years though......Good excuse for a new boat!
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Robert H. Wilkinson
Quote:
A friend of mine makes his living(a very good one) restoring old wood boats. He is very passionate about them and has little liking for fiberglass. One Coast Guard boat that he bought had been fiberglassed over - he stripped it and restored it to its former wooden self. I have been in a few of his boats and they do have a different feel and sound to them as they pass through he water.

I posted some pics of one we were in last summer a beautiful Muskoka classic.

That's not a wooden boat, its a work of art!
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong forum.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been there for a few years but there used to be a classic wooden boat regatta on Priest Lake in ID every summer. They are beautiful craft, their owners are passionate about them, and the shine like next to the sun, BUT they are show boats, not practical user boats like a C-Dory.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

South of Heaven

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy from NY state is building a wooden Buehler 41 Diesel Duck.

http://www.seadreamerproject.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: