View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snider

City/Region: Charleston
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kestrel Dawn
Photos: Kestrel Dawn
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Single Handed Docking Reply with quote

I love the midships cleat right outside the helmsman's window. It really makes docking a breeze. I use about a 10ft piece of dock line that I spliced a large loop into. When docking I hang my arm out the window and lasso the cleat on the dock with the spliced loop, the other end is made off to the midships cleat. When the line grabs it pulls the boat into the dock. I turn the wheel to port and depending on wind and current apply just enough throttle to hold the boat onto the dock. Then I'm able to leave the helm and secure a stern line, easy. (I never leave the boat, if the cleat is out of reach I toss a line over it). I've also just used a dock line with a smaller spliced loop that just fits over a cleat. You can make a larger loop by running the standing end though the small splice to make a larger loop. It's nice because it'll cinch down on the cleat after you lasso it, the problem is that if you miss, the loop may tighten up and need to be readjusted before throwing it again, plus if you have to really heave it the loop may also cinch down before landing. Hopefully this may help someone in the future.
Chester

City/Region: home
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
pat.jack

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-renity
Photos: C-renity
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brandon,

Congrats on the new boat, and thanks for documenting your experience on single handed docking. We keep our boat on the Erie Canal, so we are frequently docking, and docking against those 'unforgiving' cement walls! I rarely single hand the boat, when we dock I'm usually at the helm, with my wife in the cockpit. As you mention, reaching out the helm window, and using the handy cleat really simplifies things. I can usually simply reach out the window and drop a line over the dock cleat, not much current where we boat! But, I'll have to try your suggestion, if nothing else, for practice. in case I'm out on my own.

Best of luck with your new boat, and welcome aboard.
Jack
Snider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Picking up and dropping off Reply with quote

Thank you, I’ve never visited up that way, would love to some day.

It also works great for those times when you’re just dropping someone off or picking someone up. We ended up docking six times on our day out recently, twice picking up and dropping off people, once at a restaurant, and twice at the landing.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this same procedure as a spring line. I put the factory sliced loop on the mid cleat and made a larger loop(non cinching) on the free end exactly the length to reach my stern cleat. Easy to drop over a dock cleat where you want your stern to end up. Any thrust with helm off dock will bring you parallel and keep you tight to the dock. Your stern cleat is then exactly opposite the cleat on the dock, easy to reach. I just leave the spring line in place and tighten up a stern line then walk off boat with a bow line in hand.

Regards,

Rob

smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

I like your process. I assume you do this step "Easy to drop over a dock cleat..." from the helm station window?
Snider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Yea Reply with quote

smckean (Tosca) wrote:
Rob,

I like your process. I assume you do this step "Easy to drop over a dock cleat..." from the helm station window?

Yes that’s correct, ideally I drop it, if I’m coming in from down wind or down current it may take a little toss. I use to use the same technique for our sailboat when coming into the slip. Of course it’s ten times easier with the maneuverability of the C-Dory. My spliced loop is about 4ft around.

It’s also easy for a bystander who may not know how to tie up to a cleat to just drop it over the dock clear.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can do essentially the same thing with the stern cleat, done from the cockpit, and then adding forward idle power the boat will stay snug to the dock. AND you have more room to move, reach and maneuver with less chance of bumping something inside the boat when reaching through the window, ro bringing in a wet line to drip on electronics.

I single hand 98% of the time. (Oh, and twin OB's make docking even easier.)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: