localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get it, Harvey. That said, the ease/efficiency/comfort etc at which a kayak will traverse this vs the inefficiency etc of a SUP; no comparison.
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree. Windage effect, alone, on a SUP rig, kills their ability to make headway. OTOH, in following sea and wind, the greater leverage of a stroke while standing, and ability to surf swell, maybe an SUP can defeat a conventional kayak using wing paddles, even. But, a surfski and wing paddles will wipe an SUP every time. Freya Hoffmeister makes 30 miles a day, routinely in flat conditions in a surfski in her circumnavigations of continents. Milking whatever following swell she can find, add in another 10 miles, routinely. She is strong, skilled, and has incredible drive and tenacity. An ordinary kayaker could never make those miles.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beginning at noon tomorrow there is going to be some telling. With a pretty stable high pressure system moving slowly over the course, the sailboats will have to be rowing/paddling. The paddle craft and SUP's will be in their prime environment. Should be and interesting first few days.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The racers can’t pull into port for fish and chips Laughing

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One hour in, the leader is "Take Me to the Volcano," a one-person pedal craft.

NORO LIM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duplicate post. (I don't know why this has started happening so frequently. Any advice from Admin? I just had a thought - can the duplicate posts be related to backing out of the posting process and returning to the forum page by using your browser's back arrow? I don't want to derail the subject by eliciting comments here. It's just that I've noticed this happening in others' posts recently, as well.)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a pretty spiffy looking boat! But Take Me to the Volcano's facebook shows:
a slightly different craft is pictured in his face book page--no matter this is an impressive endeavor.
some photos and video here

I think PT Watercraft is the boat to watch, since she is also a fast sailor (and is probably sailing now in some very light air.--he won the first leg, with crew--now he is solo.. However both of these solo boats are going to have to rest at night...

I also like to follow the insights from Sailing anarchy There are some racers, ex racers and some real experts on the design and building of these craft who post on this forum

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
NORO LIM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
That is a pretty spiffy looking boat! But Take Me to the Volcano's facebook shows:
a slightly different craft is pictured in his face book page . . .

The boats shown on the R2AK website and on Facebook are each different from the one he's racing this year. All of them are variations built from plans for a boat called a "Willoughby V16." One of those earlier versions took serious damage in last year's race. This year's boat is a stripped down version that weighs about 150 pounds.

I spoke with Matt (owner/builder/peddler) on Wednesday in Port Townsend. He seems to have absolutely no illusions (or even aspirations) about winning the race. His goal is to finish the race and become the first person do this course solely with peddle power. He is a former professional bicycle racer. He says that in calm conditions he can maintain 5mph easily and can reach 10 mph with max effort. I took several pictures of his boat:
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2840&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation! All of these guys and gals have a lot of fortitude, strength and spirit of adventure. This gentleman is a personification of the person who does the race, with failures in the first two years, and now leading the pack!
NORO LIM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I couldn't agree more about many of the people who attempt these kinds of things. They are so into doing the "thing" itself, that many of the goals and rewards other people worry about simply don't matter to them. One of my absolute favorite observations about disinterested human effort was made about Willard Gibbs who was the preeminent American scientist of the 19th century. He taught physics and math at Yale for years. One of his students described a lecture in which Gibbs had just finished filling a blackboard with complicated equations and then turned around "with tears in his eyes, as though he had just seen angels."

I hope I get more sleep than many of these racers will in the next few days, but I'm already obsessed with checking the tracker!
NORO LIM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duplicate. Again! (And I now believe it IS somehow related to the use of the back arrow - I will have to retrain myself.)
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to see "Take me to the Volcano" drop out with a tendon injury. He is the second boat to drop out. Mean time, the one I am watching are "Sail alike a Girl" with 4 crew on a hot 32' monohull, vs PT Watercraft, a 32' ultra light narrow beam cat with solo adventurer aboard. PT Watercraft was leading yesterday; took a nap last night, and "Sail Like A Girl" passed. Just now, PT passed SLAG again....I doubt that the solo can keep it up--but you never know! They are about 30% of the way to the finish!
swfvi

City/Region: Gulf Islands
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming back across the Strait of Georgia yesterday afternoon from Lasqueti Island to Denman Island I passed PT Watercraft heading upwind in a very light NW breeze. The northwesterly was almost completely gone with just ripples to show wind direction. Most of us would call it a flat calm.
He was moving very fast for such conditions. Impressive boat and impressive sailor!
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I have been able to get some reports of the race, via a friend who checks the tracker frequently but I have been on the road.

Back home now and find the same thing on my lap top as on my tablet. There is a great big, soundly fixed, R2AK logo smack in the middle of my screen. There is no little "x" in the upper right corner, and the bottom goes down behind the "utility tray" and I can't figure out how to get the blamed thing out of the way and off the screen. A right click for a menu brings up a menu but there is no delete, and it won't slide right or left. It is like the Face book thing that says I need to sign up there when I go to a face plant link to see what I am missing. Any ideas on how to get around this thing, or a link to get into the tracker from another source, that might help, but every way I go to the tracker this thing hangs right in the middle and occupies about half of the screen size and takes it's half out of the middle.

Back to important stuff. I spent Sunday in Victoria BC so I could visit with some of the race folks, get some boat pictures and see the start. All very worth while.

Team Torrent, Josh Collins, is one of the most impressive individuals I have ever met. The following is part of his intro on the R2AK site.

Quote:
"Josh was career military, not just the guy who walks with a flag in front of parades or guards an airport parking lot in preparation for the battle of Des Moines—Josh was in the frontline in conflicts worldwide, including at least a couple he was never officially in; he was a part of an elite special forces unit that we are apparently not supposed to mention by name but is badass enough to warrant a Chuck Norris movie or two. Josh Collins is the guy Chuck Norris wants to be.

"When Chuck Norris goes to bed, he wears Josh Collins pajamas. Josh is literally a roundhouse kick and a handsome beard away from his own library of Chuck Norris-like facts:

" > Josh Collins doesn’t cheat death; he wins fair and square.
> Josh Collins can hit you so hard your blood will bleed.
> Josh Collins doesn’t move by paddle board. He stays in one place and his paddle tells the earth which direction to rotate. (Other Chuck Norris facts here)

"Chuck Norris aside, the special ops that exist off screen is hardcore for real, and after 7 brain injuries from explosives, parachute landings, and a career of fighting for truth, justice, and the American way, SFC Collins retired in 2008 but stayed in the game as a contractor until 2013 when he sustained two Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI) in the same week. Balance issues, spine compression, ear damage, nerve damage, double vision, tremors from early onset of Parkinsons, cognitive decline, stuttering, adult onset ADHD; and memory loss. “I was caught in an endless cycle of anger.” He had a choice: give in or get going on recovery.

"These colors don’t run, they paddle....

More here: https://r2ak.com/2018-teams-full-race/team-torrent-2/

Josh was one of the racers I was tasked to check on while he was crossing Juan de Fuca. He was in a tide rip, 4 - 6 foot waves, standing up and paddling. At times his board was only in the water in the middle third, where he was standing and the ends were in the air. Sometimes we could barely see the ends, but the stern flag always popped back up. Talking with him in Victoria, he is humble, dedicated to his therapy and bringing awareness about Vets with Tramatic Brain Injury, PTSD and Veterans Suicide to the world.

From his website: https://www.operationtorrent.com/
Quote:
"Operation Torrent is one Special Operation Veteran’s journey by Stand-Up Paddleboard across open water, the roughest seas, the harshest storms, and the darkest nights, as the living metaphor for what every Veteran may face after combat and then returning to civilian life. Also, to conquer the challenges of living/coping with the effects of multiple Traumatic Brain Injuries, and Post Traumatic Stress."

Go Josh!

Salute.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did get to meet with others there, some of the ones I was tasked to check on, and several others. Every one has an interesting story, and I would say most are not expecting to win $10,000, but all are wanting to make this trip for their own personal reasons, they are goal oriented and driven.

Team Try Harder, was one of special interest. He told me he had technical issues, lost GPS function from a bad water seal, and that his boat was not the boat for the conditions he encountered and that he should have spent more time in the area prior to the race.

Team Dock Rat is sailing his 26 foot live aboard monohull, and for alternative to sailing, he has a flat bowed pram that he either pushes or pulls his Haida26. He was not in the pack so we had to check, and he is probably not usually in the pack, but this race is all about thinking outside the box, in many ways.

Team Mulig, a 15 foot open canoe with a row rig is a young fellow, experienced, well equipped, comfortable on the water, and though he only did the PT to Victoria section, his plan for getting his boat back to PT so he could get on the plan to Alaska and get to fishing, was to row back to Port Angeles or Port Townsend. He was another one that was not in the pack so we checked in on him. Comfortable and adept, he was rowing through 2 to 3 foot chop, and had a workable plan to use the big tidal eddy into Dungeness Bay, to get to the end of the spit, than work his way along the edge in the least current possible toward Port Angels, which he did, then parked his craft on the beach and walked into town to get a hamburger. (Which is not against race rules. That option is open to anyone.)

With the advancing weather the race is going to pickup, but the Seymore gate is still a factor that separates the race into groups every 6 hours.

Enjoy following.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: