The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Avoid Honda

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
New Hampshire Guy
Dealer

City/Region: Meredith
State or Province: NH
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Photos: New Hampshire Guy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Avoid Honda Reply with quote

Just thought I'd add another ridiculous title.

Even though our Dealership sells Suzuki and Honda, it seems totally unfair to blast one Brand because of, in this case, bad service.
The fact that just responding to the topic or asking an innocent question blasts the libelous title again and again is -unfortunately- just a fact of life on the internet, but one that does not seem to be understood by many members. There is the ability to PM or E-mail each other with questions. Instead people- without realising it - just continue to raise a "topic" that is really something else, even as they try to add value and info to the correspondence. But we all agree that censorship is not the answer.
This is painfully obvious with the Cape Cruiser (Clone) story. The "topic" is responded to and many people lurking get to "read-all-about-it" and get a wrong impression. Exactly as with the "Avoid Suzuki" story. Reading the "Avoid..." drama tells about a local service issue, but the title evokes a dire warning about the product that is in no way substantiated by fact.

If the membership will allow me a small experiment for a short period of time...

I'll try to keep these SUZUKI and HONDA "topics" paired, in fairness.

Just for the record, I'm not picking on anybody and certainly have nothing bad to say about Honda. We sell Hondas with our C-Dory's. Many people posting in the "Avoid..." had only great things to say about Suzuki.

As a year long BRAT and loyal supporter, I just think THIS might get people's attention, and the right to remain silent might be better appreciated (but in all honesty "to post or not to post" said it better). I've bitten my lip for almost 6 months over this Suzuki thing, and after much tossing-and-turning, regrettably this is the best response I could come up with.

SO, if you think I'm out of line, or agree with me, by all means reply!!!!

Maybe we can get 3 weeks and 10 pages on this un-substantiated title too...

but I really, really, really hope not.

Fair Winds...
John
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree John.
Quote:
it seems totally unfair to blast one Brand because of, in this case, bad service.

As an owner of a Suzuki motor, it puts a really bad spin on Suzuki when the title reads "Avoid Suzuki", especially to people who don't bother to read the whole thread or in this case, when the resolution to the problem was never posted. As you suggested, I actually PM'd Scotty about the exact problem to avoid bringing the topic to the top again. Without divulging the private contents of his reply, it's safe to say that he seems to have been boating successfully since his initial problems (see the C-Dog site).

Peter
A happy Suzuki owner
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Hmmm... Reply with quote

Hmmm... I guess folks get agitated and let their fingers-fly in moments of anger. Been-there-done-that; trying to out-grow it.

On the other hand, I own a '99 Honda 90 on a B/W Montauk (...for sale, by the way), and a '03 Suzuki 90 on "Naknek." I love them both, but honestly, Suzuki's doing some things Honda hasn't gotten around to (yet) so in 2003 I went with Suzi.

Both are excellent engines. Period.

Anytime you purchase something that is mechanical, there will be occasional problems. That said, when those problems occur on a new/expensive purchase, we get pissed and angry.

Before we broadcast our "anger" across the bandwidth, we need to chill-out and regroup.

Can't we all just get along? (...god, I dislike quoting bozo's)

Casey
C-Dory Naknek
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
Are you calling my cousin, Rodney, a Bozo? Wink

Roger King

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Lil Rascal

City/Region: Thousand Oaks
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Lil' rascal
Photos: Lil' rascal
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Not only was my issue a local service problem, but I had contacted C-Dory and American Suzuki. American Suzuki was pretty much worthless, until about the tenth phone call. As far as I am concerned they could give a crap about the customer once their engines are sold. If I had to go through this all over again I would AVOID Suzuki. Their customer service was worthless in my opinion.

Scott
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Suzuki story:
I had a new, less than 50 hours on a 2002 70HP Suziki, on my 82 Angler. I had 13 gal. portable Tempo tanks that got a fair amount of water in them from a big rain that I did not realize. When I started up the engines they sucked in almost pure water into the injectors and shut the engine down. I called the dealer I bought it from and he made himself available on Christmas eve day to take care of my problem. We had a 4 day cruise scheduled.
After that I put 200+ hours on the engine with zero problems and the engine ran strong. I would say it all has to do with your dealer. I would have no problem owning another Suzuki and I would definitely buy it from the same dealer.
IMHO I think the AVOID tag should be on the dealer name not the engine name.
I own a Honda now, which I love and I'm very willing to help with the experiment.
Lil Rascal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said I dealt with American Suzuki as well as local dealers. AMERICAN SUZUKI was basically worthless!!!!!!!!!

Scott
Luna C

City/Region: Lake Goodwin/Center Island
C-Dory Year: 2019
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Panthera
Photos: Luna C
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have put 214 hours on my 04 90 hp Suzuki w/o a problem. I would NOT AVOID Suzuki! When I first read the avoid Suzuki post I blew right by it not offended one bit. As has been said, every once and a while a bad one may get through. And who knows if the owner helped the problem along a bit. So far, only one poster upset with Suzuki that I have seen. I don't mind reading about troubles with products or companies, but I'll make my own decision on what I'll avoid. The information on this site HAS helped me proceed with caution!

Thanks to all who have made so many informative posts! And the occasional rant or dog picture.

Sealife

City/Region: Woodland Hills
Vessel Name: SeaLife
Photos: SeaLife
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reference Scott's post about Suzuki's customer service being worthless...

Scott lives in So. Cal, bought his boat from the factory. Therefore he did not have a dealer to go to locally for his problem. It was not until a couple of tries that he found a Suzuki repair facility locally, and then got his repair done in a reasonable time. It's a fact of life that you get better, quicker, service when returning to the dealer from which you bought your boat. That's the price fo dealing with the factory, when they don't have a convienent local dealer. Unfortunatly, I steered Scott to a dealer I had been using (I had bought a pair of Suzukis from them for my old boat), and he did not get the same level of service I had gotten. Then Scott kept trying to go to Suzuki direct, and they prefer to have their dealers deal with problems first.

I'm on my second set of twin Suzukis, and have not had a lick of trouble with any of them.

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If New Guy is a dealer, he's missed the point of all the "avoid" messages. All the outboard mfgs: OMC, Merc, Suzui, Yamaha, Honda build a decent product. What you're praying for is that they built yours correctly and if they didn't, just fix it.

Once you're up against a large corporation trying to get help and all you get is a single digit response, you do get upset. Those engines aren't cheap, and not using the boat is frustrating. An angry reaction is normal.

A better response from a dealer is to let us know how to get Honda/Suzuki/etc's attention, 'cause a lot of us have been in that situation.

I've had experience with Suzuki (not the motor;) help, not romance is what I needed. They just didn't have the parts, and wouldn't admit it.

Boris, Journey On
Lil Rascal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris,

I could not agree with you more.

Scott
Luna C

City/Region: Lake Goodwin/Center Island
C-Dory Year: 2019
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Panthera
Photos: Luna C
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may twist this a bit - IF you do live near the factory, they do GREAT service! If you have a dealer that is near and good (like EQ) you are set. I have had all of my service and installations done at the factory.

As far as EQ - I know Les is so busy that maybe more should be done at the factory and save Les for those special projects. Maybe I'm unintentionally stepping on Les' toes here, but if he is buried in work, maybe the factory could hang a few Suzukis (my wife says that is plelled rite) (yeah, yeah, or Hondas, Yamis, E-Tecs, &...) I worry about ol’ (not old) Boat Les getting so buried that he'll tire of it all!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: