The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Marinaut Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification . I was mistaken .
Marc

AK Angler

City/Region: South Central
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Rod Holder
Photos: Rod Holder
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldgrowth wrote:

Boris - there were plans for a 26 foot Marinaut. Les & I had been working on it for sometime before he went to the Phillipines. I still have the drawings and info on it & will try & post it here in a day or so.

________
Dave

It's nice to hear that the Marinaut 255 may get another shot at production. It looked like a fantastic boat, and I really like the layout shown in those original line drawings. Before the plans to build it were scuttled, it was on top of my very short list of dream boats, and I was pretty sure I'd buy one eventually. As it turns out, the 255 never materialized and I ended up buying a gently used Cape Cruiser Marinaut 26 instead. The CC26 is pretty great for how and where we cruise, but I occasionally wonder if the M255 could have been even better.

89CD16A- The Navicula has been sold...
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just clicked on an ad for the Cape Cruiser 25' boat. Is this what Cape Cruiser is planning to build for the 25' market? It's not the same genre as the 22 Marinaut. It's certainly not a PNW boat or an Alaskan cruiser.

Boris
madisonbay

City/Region: Sarasots
State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
We (Marie and I) had the pleasure of a visit by Ricardo Ruelos at "Camp Thataway" today. I believe that Richard is sincere in bringing the Marinaut Cape Dory and the 25, 20 and 33/34 (Marie fell in love with the 34 extended cabin--no we didn't order one).

Ricardo brings a lifetime of small and large power boating expertise to the table for the Marnaut 220 production. He is passionate about the boats. As noted he had a lot of input into the Reynold's production, and it appears that that he is responsible for the resurgence of the 25.

We talked about a number of factors which would make the boats better cruisers and lower maintenance. we discussed air conditioning, window styles and installation, solid fiberglass, or other solid materials under deck cleats, or any thru hulls. That any opening in a cored hull, even foam, needs to be sealed. Hulls were be foam core. Vinyl Ester Resin would be used in the hull, at least the outer layers. It appears as if Richard has excellent builders lined up to start the production runs. They would like to have a boat at Hontoon, St. John's River gathering next March. The Mississippi gathering would be too much of a push!

Richard affirmed what i had been told about the costs to have professional molds built for a 25--it would be in the $385,000 price range, after a CAD drawing of the lines by a naval architect were submitter (another $250,000 or more). That would not be practical. But I am assured that all of the molds were in great shape, and a Marinaut type of interior would be installed in the 25 Cape Dory hull. All boats will be outboard powered (instead of diesel inboard as in the Cape Dory power boats.) There is a strong Cape Dory owners group--although most of the Cape Dorys are sailboats, power boat Cape Dory owners are welcome.

The boats will be custom built as per order. Quality materials are to be used. Marie and I agreed to be available to bounce ideas off of as the boat progresses.

Thank you Bob for the opportunity to spend a wonderful day with you, Marie and Angel. I am looking forward to spending more time with all of you just to share some boating experiences and memories and also to certainly continue to hear both of your valued input. With all of the adventures and experience you have had the input you have and can provide will be appreciated and utilized in every aspect possible. Since Marie loved the Cape Dory 33 ft. Cruiser so much we have affectionately dubbed the yacht the "Marie 33". As we move forward to bring this boat into production and make development and design updates you can be sure we will be visiting with you, Marie and Angel on this topic.

As we discussed we are focused first on the Cape Dory Marinaut 220 to bring into production and will phase the 25 ft. following the production of the first 2 or 3 Marinaut 22 units. We have all of the molds for the Open Express and center console and can develop and design a Pilot House model very easily as we are getting requests for this size boat already.

We have the molds and ingredients to produce the full line of boats but are being very careful to be sure to move methodically and cautiously to be sure our quality and service remains impeccable. The marine industry is already reporting that quality of boats throughout the industry is poor and declining. This is the result of factory production being pressured and new, untrained employees being hired to rapidly.

While this is the current case the fact is that the pendulum is now swinging in another direction thanks to Mr. Trump's Trade War. Chris Craft, Bertram, 4 Winns and other major manufacturers have already started lay off's and publicly announcing that they will have greater lay offs if the tariffs do not end within 90 days. I do not want to get into politics however the fact is that while this is unfortunate it will actually be of help to Cape Dory as we are in the midst of several large boat manufacturers and are already finding skilled labor that is available or positioning for a downturn at the major manufacturers that depend on some foreign shipments for their ongoing sales.

To continue to strengthen and maintain the integrity and pedigree of the Cape Dory Brand I have also joined the Cape Dory Sailboat Owner Association and communicating with this fine group of boating/sailing enthusiasts. As you indicated, while a sailboat owners group many have Cape Dory Power Boats and welcome power boaters to join. I am planning to attend their annual meeting at the Fairhope Yacht Club in Mobile, AL 11/9-11-11. Between their events and the C-Brat events the future looks to presented with a lot of fun and adventures.

As a side note to all of the C-Brats I would like to advise that I am in continued contact with Les in the Philippines and keeping updated on his life there. At the same time of course I am trying to find a way to lure him back to America or in some way remain involved in the Cape Dory/Marinaut project. I have always had the greatest respect for Les and his extreme knowledge and passion for boating. In fact, we both share similar backgrounds as our fathers were both Navy veterans. In my case my father was a Filipino that served at Pearl Harbor so now Les and I are almost related since he now has a Filipino wife and surrounding family.

Hopefully he will find some time for occasional post. I can assure you that he is on an adventure with an interesting life course. thanks again Bob, Marie and Angel for your hospitality and follow up.
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am close by the factory.

Do they allow visitors or Parker owners.? Lol

I can stop by and take some pics

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just clicked on the banner add in the top right corner of the C-BRATS Home Page and found this. It had a picture that really resembled the Marinaut. Sure looks like the M-boat is going somewhere. This appears to be advertising for a new line, 22 and 25, Cats and sailboats. In the upper size versions too.

https://capedorycruisers.com/

WELCOME TO CAPE DORY CRUISERS
a division of Madison Bay Holdings

madisonbayholdings.com

(206) 290-0028

ABOUT US
The New Cape Dory™

Ecologically sustainable construction, propulsion,materials, and maintenance

Boats that add utility and fun while going the distance

Cape Dory Cruisers is a division of Madison Bay Holdings, LLC, a business development company specializing in the marine and recreational industry for over 35 years

(Visit: madisonbayholdings.com )

CAPE DORY™ TRAILERABLE TRAWLERS

The Cape Dory™ 220 Marinaut Pilot House Cruiser
Is a 22 ft. "Pocket Yacht" in the guise of a trailerable cruiser. Powered by a fuel efficient Four Stroke Outboard, the Cape Dory Marinaut 220 has an aft deck that is a great place to relax end enjoy the scenery. Contact us today and your new Cape Dory Cruiser will have you cruising new waters in no time.

The Cape Dory Marinaut 220 is offered in a variety of optional interiors and exterior models. All Cape Dory Marinaut 220 models include a V-berth and sleeping quarters for two with Interior options that may include a galley with one burner stove. Alternate interiors allow for added seating for four or just a helm and passenger seat to allow for more fishing or storage room in the aft section. The rear bulkhead may also be purchased as an option to allow for an Open Back Full Walk Through Cruiser and allow the ability to "fish the entire boat". This also provides a shaded area in hot climates such as Florida and the SE along with protection from the elements when storms suddenly occur or in the colder Northern climates. To extend the cruising season and protect you from the sun and foul weather the Cape Dory Marianaut 220 and all Trailerable Cruisers can be fitted with an optional aft deck canvas

bimini or Full Camper Canvas (See: Options

The Cape Dory 25 ft. Cruiser Series

Provide a choice of several models of 25 ft. Cruisers as either a Center Console, Open Express or Dual Console model. All Cape Dory 25 ft. Cruisers offer the same quality construction and materials used in the Marinaut 220 and all Cape Dory Cruisers (See: Construction).

START THE CRUISING LIFE NOW
Ecocruisers Cape Dory™ Yachts

The ECOCRUISER 33 ft. and 36 ft. Yachts by Cape Dory™ are an exceptional innovation in propulsion, fuel efficiency and comfort. Like all Cape Dory Cruisers the yachts are seaworth vessels capable of taking you and your family to the far reaches of the globe. The proven "Down East" designs and engineering are built "to get you out there and back quickly and safely". Cape Dory Cruising Yachts are in the process of many new developments and custom features that will included outboard, twin or single engine diesels. The range of Cape Dory Cruisers will be exceptional and will include optional electric drive motors, allowing the engine to idle-load as electric generators, adding range and reducing your carbon footprint. We are adding energy saving glass and carbon fiber construction. This is a Cape Dory after all and you can expect a yacht in every sense of the word with interiors and exteriors designed by award winning yacht and boat designers.

Cape Dory Catamarans
are a new and exciting extension of the Cape Dory brand and product offering. In conjunction with Power Play Catamarans Cape Dory is developing and offering a complete range of power catamarans ranging in size from 42 ft. to 75 ft. Sailing Catamarans can also be provided on a custom design basis. The Power Play Catamarans are a proven series of world recognized yachts over the past 30 years.

Sailboats "Cruising The Wind and the World"
CAPE DORY™ SAILBOATS

Cape Dory has made some pretty fine sailboats since it began in 1962. Over 2,500 in fact. Some were large, some were small, but all were romantic ladies of the sea.-"To The Core". Many sailors today are looking for that romance of the sea that we once shared. That romance that carbon spars, powered winches and beeping electronics just cannot convey. Just like a Cape Dory Sailboat, simple, safe, comfortable and fast. Enough to get there and slow enough to enjoy the ride. While not currently in production you can expect to see the all new Cape Dory Sailboat series in the future completing the heritage, pedigree and authenticity of the iconic Cape Dory Brand.

Cape Dory Cruisers & Catamaran Availability

Cape Dory Cruisers & Catamarans will be marketed through a select dealer and broker network throughout North America and Internationally as well. All boats and yachts will be allocated on a limited market basis and available through dealers as they are established and inventory becomes available. Please contact the Cape Dory factory with regard to any interest in purchasing a Cape Dory Cruiser or Catamaran or becoming established as a Cape Dory Cruiser or Catamaran Dealer or broker.

Interesting progression, Worth following, and these are nice looking boats -- so far.

Does any one remember Roger Palmer, President of Madison Bay Holdings, in the C-Dory Marine Inc chapter?

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

hardee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Madison Bay Holdings website:

Quote:
2007- The Marinaut 220 is developed and introduced as the Marinaut 215 providing a new, unique and fresh design to launch the Cape Dory Cruiser product line. The idea for the Marinaut started in the early part of 2007. Ben Toland was helping Dave Thompson add two feet to his 16 foot C-Dory Cruiser. They were just finishing up when Ben suggested that they build a boat. One thing lead to another and eventually they decided to build a boat similar to those Ben had designed and built in the past. Ben is a member of the Toland Family which is the original founder's of C-Dory Boats. With Ben's experience building C-Dory over 1,000 C-Dory boats throughout a 20 year period and Dave's experience using them, plus the information Dave had gleaned from his time on the C-Brat forum, they decided to build a 20 foot 3 inch boat (later changed to 21' 6").

2017- The Cape Dory Cruisers brand, designs and molds were recently acquired by Madison Bay Holdings, LLC a Seattle based company with a legacy of over 35 years experience within the boat and recreational industry. Madison Bay Holdings was founded and is owned by marine industry veteran Ricardo Ruelos. Mr. Ruelos is also former Executive Vice President of C-Dory Marine.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Leo Smith

City/Region: West Seattle
Photos: Leo
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harvey,
The photo you have in the bottom of your post is a Toland 18-8.
BillE

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: BillE
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wonder if they have completed any boats?
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo Smith wrote:
Hi Harvey,
The photo you have in the bottom of your post is a Toland 18-8.

Leo, You are right. And the one above that is the original Marinaut 215.
I put the Toland 18.8 in because of it relationship to the original designer to the Marinaut, Ben Toland, who worked with "Oldgrowth Dave" Johnson in the design and production of the original M-215.

The Original Marinaut 215 came to Sequim Bay for it CBGT debut. Dave took many of us out in it, and ran it around for quite a while for some photo time.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Leo Smith

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Marinaut Update Reply with quote

Has there been any news since Ricardo has taken over the marketing of the Marinuat? It's too nice of a boat for the molds to be languishing in a warehouse.
Leo Smith

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody home? (crickets chirping)
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo, I too had great hopes for a resurgence in the Marinaut brand.

From what I see with the Cdory this type of boat sells far better on the west coast. Maybe bringing it east doomed it before it got off the ground.

Here's hoping and wishing them luck.

Rob

BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still planning to travel to Sarasota and see the factory if invited
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've swapped several emails with Ricardo in the last couple months. I'm considering either a Marinaut or Venture 23 purchase next year.

I'll leave it to him to provide updates, and will drop him a note asking him to chime in here - but he's clearly focused on delivering the Marinaut.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: