The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Marinaut Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saxe Point

City/Region: Sooke
State or Province: BC
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Cape Dory 36 Hull #1 Reply with quote

bobjarrard wrote:
I owned a Cape Dory 36 - it was Hull #1 and had a hand built interior that set the pattern of the final tooling. Andy V. was in charge in those days and she was built in Taunton, Mass. - we named her "Hotel California". Nice boat and I got to spec her out for use in SoCal - lots of water on board for the girls, CNG bottles for cooking (lighter than air), and the rest pretty much standard Alberg. My best wishes for this venture. Only thing I did not like about the Mariinaut was not having a place for a kicker or twins (I know they had good reasons) and the original round window just looked strange to me,
Bob

I don’t know the reasons, but I definitely agree that room for a kicker is really important. I hope that they can include that, at least as an option.
BillE

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: BillE
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always admired the Marinaut design and I do hope that it gets back into production.
I find using the Cape Dory name a bit disturbing, but I've never liked a new company using an old famous name when they have no relation to that prior history, but I understand that it's common practice these days and that name recognition is crucial. In this case it seems deliberately confusing, but I'm looking at it from a C-Dory perspective, and if the ambitious plans on their website come to pass then the Marinaut will only be a small part of the company's identity.
It will be most interesting to watch what develops.

BillE

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious as to what is eliminated with that porta-potty head compartment? The dinette?
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: The Ideal Boat Reply with quote

She doe not exist but I like the Marinaut's light weight cabin top. Montgomery's Sage has a very light top that takes away the need for a compression strut under the mast. For me today if I had the $$:
1 - Lots of stringers and a truss/matrix in the hull with the most water resistant core available all in many small compartments.
2 - Carbon fiber vac bag assemblies above the CG - for sure the cabin top
3 - Solid glass where there are holes in the boat
4 - Full height gunnels with single large motor, kicker, ladder and Honda gen set on a stern bracket. Gunnels and cabin top beefed up to take a pot puller/dinghy lift
5 - Four fuel tanks located not in the very stern. Battery bank forward and water tank also. I use a C-Head from Cap, no holding tank again as long as I live.
6 - Outside cooking station, two berth/cockpit seats, Bimini/camper back with factory attachment points (I like the baseball cap design but am open)
7 - Bow boarding ladder built in and stern ladder actually safe and easy to use. I would really like a stern door.
8 - Insulated paint on the entire inside of the boat and ducts for heat already in place. Additional insulation in the forecabin.
9 - Full length dinette for sleeping for normal adults.
10 - Two hi-capacity sump pumps in sumps, not bolted to the floor
11 - Ultra light C-Dory dingy (under 85 points is no issue -8' Naple Sabots all weigh in under 75 pounds) with storage ready rack on cabin top or camper top. Bracket on stern if kicker will not work on the dink.
12 - Raised platform for anchor winch so horizontal drop gets lots of chain and rope below decks. I prefer a sealed fore deck hatch that is in two parts like on the Swans, spare anchors and rode in one and rode only in the other. Bow roller to handle Mantus and similar anchors and self launch.
13 Massive tow eyes for bow bridle and same in the stern for dragging your friends home.
14 Stand up helm position with overhead hatch like on the Albins. I would raise the seat and deck under foot so that you can stand at the inside helm and see over the cabin top - poor man's fly bridge. More room for an roll out ARB or Engle cooler.
15 C-Head goes in the cockpit. I would consider having one cockpit seat drop down for fishing and the other fixed with storage. Overhead hospital curtain track for pull back privacy screen for C-Head when puled out. I favor sliding door then to starboard.
16 - Cockpit steering and shift throttle for both motors but that is a lot to work out on that side.
17 - Cabin top two way hatch sized for AC unit. Another power vent over the cooktop. Same large hatch at the v-birth with drop down ladder.
12- Sliding bug screens where possible, roll-up screens elsewhere. Black out insulated reflective outside, bright colored inside privacy curtains with pull back as well as the roll-up. Factory digital patterns for when they die.
13 - Electrical - you know, the works including two solar panels and LED everywhere. Plus ins all over the boat including tons of 12 volt and chagrer ports.
14 - Four fans in the main cabin, two in the forecabin, two on the front windows that do not open, and defrosters off the heater. Heater?? Dedicated heater and heat strip in the AC for at dock use. I would skip the Wallas for cooking. Lots of personal choices on that one.
15 - Shore power at 20/30/50 amps with the trick plugs - full GFI and surge and/or low voltage protection
16 - I got a long list on the trailer but it would have electric over hydraulic, a double spare on swing downs, tongue extension, built in rinse system, lots of locking options on all parts, power and manual winch, bunks but a roller or two to start, boarding ladder built in, and lights above the water line at launch depth with all wiring in duct.
17 - Power, lets not go there.
Bob
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

l will try & answer some of the questions & comments. Twins are not an option. The motor well was deliberately kept small as a safety item. If you get swamped in a following sea you have a better chance of surviving, half the water in the motor well & half the weight dragging you down. Most of the original Marinauts had knickers on them. They were mounted on brackets. If you don't like the round windows square ones are an option. I never saw the Marinaut with he head but I believe you would lose either the dinette or the galley.

To see many photos & comments from Les (which will answer many of your questions) go to facebook, then do a search for Marinaut Boat Company. Click Marinaut Boat Company, then scroll down to the first group of photos. At the bottom of that group click on SEE ALL. Then scroll to the bottom of that group & click on SEE ALL again. Now you can click on any photo for a fuller picture & Les's comments. It will give for an idea of the quality of components that went into the boat & the workmanship. This will continue with the Marinaut while it is being built in Florida.

________
Dave
oldgrowth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To view the photos I referred to on Facebook in the above post, I copied the addresses.

They are
https://m.facebook.com/search/str/marinaut+boat+company+%28www.marinautboats.com%29/photos-keyword
This is the web address best viewed on mobile devices

https://www.facebook.com/search/str/marinaut+boat+company+%28www.marinautboats.com%29/photos-keyword
This one is the web address best viewed on a large monitor

________
Dave
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both links result in "Page not Found" messages (at least for me).
Leo Smith

City/Region: West Seattle
Photos: Leo
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Dave,
Glad to hear the Marinaut is going back in production. This boat is one of the best designs out there for a trailerable pocket cruiser. I know that you and Ben Toland have put a lot of effort into a great design. Wishing you the best of success with the new builder.
oldgrowth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:

ssobol - if you get page not found, use this method, goto www.facebook.com then do a search for Marinaut Boat Company. Click Marinaut Boat Company, then scroll down to the first group of photos. At the bottom of that group click on SEE ALL. Then scroll to the bottom of that group & click on SEE ALL again. Now you can click on any photo for a fuller picture & Les's comments.
Anybody else having trouble with the links?

Thank you Leo for your comments

________
Dave
BillE

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave I remember Les talking about a Marinaut 245 design, and I see some drawings of that floorplan on the facebook page. Was a hull or mold ever built for this bigger Marinaut?
ssobol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldgrowth wrote:
ssobol wrote:

ssobol - if you get page not found, use this method, goto www.facebook.com then do a search for Marinaut Boat Company. Click Marinaut Boat Company, then scroll down to the first group of photos. At the bottom of that group click on SEE ALL. Then scroll to the bottom of that group & click on SEE ALL again. Now you can click on any photo for a fuller picture & Les's comments.
Anybody else having trouble with the links?

Thank you Leo for your comments

________
Dave

Can't do that without a Facebook account.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillE wrote:
Curious as to what is eliminated with that porta-potty head compartment? The dinette?

Bill, the dinette was lost with just the navigators seat facing forward. Here is a link to the facebook page showing this boat.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=589083647846136&id=139546952799810

Regards,

Rob

Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldgrowth wrote:
The motor well was deliberately kept small

Dave, from your perspective as builder what would it take to make it even smaller as in not there. Replaced by a full transom with the motor/motors mounted on a hull extension or Armstrong bracket? That is one of the many things I like about the Rosborough.

Regards,

Rob
ssobol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ I like the square window vs. the round one.

- I don't care for the cutout for the berth. Compared to a C-Dory, you lose the "counter" space above the berth and the berth is less cozy and private.
C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Dave,

My wife and I are so happy for you that you secured a way to get the Marinaut back into production and with such a good boat builder. We are now enjoying our eight season with our boat, and what would we change about her? -- let us think on this for a few seconds: NOTHING! We love the round window, we love all the nooks and crannies for storage to include the huge storage spaces in the transom area and above the gas tanks. We love the impressive fuel efficiency (approx. 5 mpg) and range (approx. 300 miles), the dinette -- there is not one thing we would change. And the lack of a head is not an issue. We curtain off our cockpit, and that becomes our quite ample head area. Incidentally, she looks nearly brand new because we keep her year round in inside boat rack valet storage. Another nice thing about the Marinaut is that there is no bilge and pump required for the space between the floor pan and hull, because that space is completely sealed. This means no smell in the interior cabin. We take an hour at the end of each season to clean her up, and then she sits for 7 months before we use her in the spring. How simple is that? We don't want the boat to own us -- boating is supposed to be for leisure activities.

Best of luck on your new venture,

Betty and Rich

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: