The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Getting Boat From Ground To Trailer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
temerson

City/Region: Juneau
State or Province: AK
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Getting Boat From Ground To Trailer Reply with quote

Hi all! I'm excited to join your great community here. Just picked up a 1991 22' cruiser. Got a sweet deal because the trailer was hit by a car and the boat is now sitting on the ground. I've acquired a trailer that should work but wondering if anyone has any bright ideas about how to pull the boat up onto the trailer.

My idea so far was to use an electric winch from the back of the truck. Get the bow on and put the Truck in neutral, start pulling and theoretically the trailer should slide towards boat and boat towards trailer.

Anyone out there that has had to perform this feat?
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no experience with this, so I hired some help. I called the local tow company, and they used their boom truck to lift the bow of the boat up. I backed the trailer underneath the bow of the boat. They lowered the bow onto the trailer and moved to lift the transom, while I used the trailer winch to pull it forward. It cost me $180 but it was completed in a half hour or so, and I didn't have to buy any specialized equipment.

You could probably do the same thing with a tree strap and snatch block pulley, if there's any big trees above the boat where its parked.

I don't think you'll be able to get the boat up in the trailer and not damage it without some way to lift the boat up onto the rollers or bunks.

DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
C-Dory Year: 2006
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done this, but with a much lighter boat. I first jacked up the bow of the trailer with a V block and a floor jack. Then I backed the trailer up, disconnected the tongue and raised the tongue to let the bunks line up. Then in this case I used the trailer winch to pull the trailer and boat together, removing the jack as soon as the bunks took the weight of the bow.

It could be done with a heavier winch pulling from the truck, by running the cable to the bow then to the tongue upright to let the winch pull the two together.

The tow truck sounds easier and safer though.

David
BBlalock

City/Region: Ocean/ICW
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Finale
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about truck inner tubes and inflate them? That should softly lift the bow and then the stern.
Just my .02

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter what you do get it on video. it could be worth a a lot on youtube.
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A boom tow truck, a good operator and several strong lifting straps. After the Hurricane Charley, Charlotte County government used them and flat bed trucks on derelict boats they could access on land.. On water, they used barges. What a mess! It took several years to remove boats on very limited funds. The tow truck company that removed our boat, received $50 ! but the driver got the fuel tank and motor for free.
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had my boat hauled out. Hire a professional boat moving company. They use hydraulic jacks to transfer the boat between blocks and a trailer.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you near a marine repair facility that hauls out boats? How about using a TravelLift/Boatlift? (Might be expensive or overkill, but what the hey?!?

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hire it done by a pro; marina, marine transporter, etc.

Aye.
Grandpa used to say, "Don't be penny wise and dollar foolish."

temerson

City/Region: Juneau
State or Province: AK
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses everyone!

Ended up finding a used trailer on craigslist in good time.

Called a boom truck who said they could come with some straps etc and lift it up. Drove the trailer to the boat and used a large floor jack and some wood blocks and lifted up on the bow line eye so that we could throw a strap under the boat.

Boom truck guy ended up not showing. I called a very helpful tow truck operator who had a limited boom but was able to extend it far enough to get square over the bow. We tied some straps into the bow line eye and lifted straight up on the front of the boat. We were then able to crank on the come-along on the trailer while putting the truck in neutral and the front of boat slowly was pulled onto the back of the trailer. Once the weight of the front was on the rear rollers of the trailer, we moved the tow truck to the rear of the boat. Tied straps to both of the rear cleats so that the weight was split between both in the center of the boat. Lifted up on the rear of the boat and was able to slowly back the truck up as we cranked on the come along, pulling the trailer under the rest of the boat.

Success!

A few pictures if anyone is interested can be found here.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/aixrt76h3ufrc05/AAD141rAEmuq0DL9p-i1djU6a?dl=0
DavidHarding

City/Region: Orlando
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Timerson, I would rather suggest you to hire someone who has experience in such type of works, instead of trying it on your own, just because of the safety purpose. In order to get in contact with some experienced faculty either you can browse the internet or can pop over here too. It might be possible that while getting up the boat, you can meet up with the damage. So to avoid this condition, better hire someone with the deep knowledge in such work.
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Lifting Boat Reply with quote

Not saying that you have to buy one of these G&G Boatlifts, but the principle is the same. Secure the front eye, jack up the rear using two jacks simultaneously, then lift the front of the boat pivoting on the jacks (get jack stands under the bottom) then push the trailer under the boat when the boat is high enough.

Hard to see from your pictures if the stern is sitting directly on the ground or if is on on blocks. But you got it done so good job.

John
Swee Pea
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad it all worked for you but I wouldn't trust lifting the weight of the boat by the rear cleats. I can see the fiberglass ripping apart when I close my eyes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: