View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: My new tire pressure monitoring system Reply with quote

I got a chance to try my tire pressure monitoring system on my trailer. I went with a cheapo 4 wheel version. They make two sensor systems (for motorcycles), but they were more expensive. Two sensors go on my trailer tires (27 feet away) and I put the other two on the front tires of the tow vehicle, even though it already monitors pressure. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074M3CDM8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
When researching the various TPMS, the reception strength (distance between sender and receiver) was a big concern for people who wanted to use them with trailers (and another reason to not try the motorcycle versions). Quite a few users said that the brand they bought would not work with larger trailers. They make $pecial ver$ion$ for trailer applications, as well as $pecial relay$ to increase the distance. My cheapo could read from 50 feet away if there was nothing between the sender and receiver. But putting the receiver inside the front of my vehicle cut way down on the reception distance. It's possible that my system would not work with a full size SUV with three rows of seats and any trailer (if the receiver is on the dash).

My rig and trailer are short compared to most, so I can put my receiver on the dash or steering column and still get reception from the trailer tires, but if I couldn't, I could put the receiver in the back window of my tow vehicle. It sounds odd because the receiver shows real time temperature and pressure. But it also sounds an alarm if either goes outside of your preset amounts. The beep is quite loud. If the alarm goes off, I don't really need to determine which tire is too warm or how much over/under pressure while I'm driving at 65 mph. I need slow down and pull over. I can look at my little receiver when I'm stopped. It might even be better to have the receiver in the back and not be tempted to look at it if the alarm goes off.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my system...

https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/4135196c-81fd-49bd-b0cf-693e5eff81c5/svn/husky-tire-pressure-gauges-hda50800av-64_1000.jpg

Wink

gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought my second TST.COM pro-grade semi-truck system (up to 38 tires, includes 6 marine sensors and a repeater) after 10 years. 3 year iron-clad warranty, and they replace sensors that die after the 3 year warranty after the 5 year non-replaceable battery dies for half price. Sensor batteries shut off when sensor is removed from tire for the off-season, so they last longer. Instant, best in class tech support in GA. Overkill for boats under 8,000#, but above that, any blowout means replacing both $200 tires on that side so the $279 all-in price with 6 sensors and repeater has been a great deal for us...saved us replacing 2 tires when we picked up a nail parked while on a cruise. If the new system lasts another 10 years, it's under $28/year pro-rated...a good deal for what you get. Buy Quality the first time (only for 25's and over).
Happy Boating!
John

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use the "Tire Safeguard" system. It has owner replaceable batteries. Ours shuts down to about once every 10 minute transmission when the wheel is not turning. It started for the RV (6 tires, plus 4 in the truck--even though it has its own sensor, that does not relay to the RV.

We have been using in on trailers for over 5 years. The range is over 200 feet. They also have flow thru sensors. I agree that it is a safety feature. But when A blow out happens...it happens. Not sure why John says that the monitor is for C Dory over 25'. ???

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Marco Flamingo

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably would not have bothered if I had a double axle trailer and steel wheels. A blowout on a single axle means that I would be riding on the rim for a bit. With my aluminum wheels, that means that it is likely that the rim would be ruined. And if the aluminum spokes break apart, (which I have seen happen) that means I'd be riding on my SS brake disc, which would be ruined. Given the miles and roads that I travel, the TPMS comes in second behind my suspension seats for best purchase. Way more important for me than RADAR, refrigeration, and other common gadgets.

Mine is also motion sensitive. When I get in the car, the dash gauge apparently senses the slight movement and activates. I get the last reading of temp and pressure until I start off and the wheels rotate for a minute. Once stopped, everything turns off after a bit.

The little caps are fascinating. Not much bigger than a standard cap, they contain a battery, motion sensor, temp and pressure reader, and radio broadcaster. Amazing. They "lock on" with a jam nut, but could be stolen (as a souvenir?) if somebody really wanted them.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, Does your monitoring system need to have the valve stems (insides) replaced or does it just have a cap that screws onto the existing stem with no other modification on the tire itself.

I am investigating this for motorcycle use, and was told at a tire company that the monitor had to be mounted on the inside of the rim. (Doesn't work well on tubed tires.)

Also, have you had them on when backing into the water with your trailer? And how are they working after a few dunks?

Thanks for the reply.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Marco Flamingo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey,

It just replaces the original little plastic valve cap. It comes with a tool for replacing the battery when needed. So far, no problems with dunking the trailer (only 4 times).

The gauge on the dash is solar or can use a USB. I actually put it on the steering column with a little piece of Velcro. Turns out that it doesn't get enough sunlight there, so I put it up on my dash temporarily and then back on the column, where it is really out of the way.

Mark

A note on the tire pressure gauge that localboy referenced. If your tire pressure is too low, just wipe the plastic plunger off and test again. Your pressure will increase by several pounds. Don't get it too clean or your pressure will be too high and you'll have to let some air out. It's like magic, which is why I don't use them.
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading the advise about having a tire monitor system I bit the bullet a couple of months ago. I had all new Goodyear Endurance Tires so what could happen. I found out yesterday when I was about to load up the C-Otter after a couple of days on the St. Johns. The monitor was blinking and buzzing a short time after I turned it on. Well how could I have a very low tire? It was fine when I left the trailer two days earlier and it looked good visually even with the boat on. I checked it with a standard tire gage which confirmed the low pressure. So changed tire before it went down the road.

The only damage was the screw in the tire which is easily repairable. I figure the monitor saved a $160 tire from being unusable. I would have had the extra weight on the other tire also.

Lessons learned....even a new tire can find a nail and even on short trips {50 miles} they can pay off.

Thanks guys for bringing up this topic.

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tom. Which system did you get? Colby
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby
I went with the TST 507 Color monitor with the standard senders. They do make flow through senders but they are not recommended for boat trailers. I should have done this years ago. Probably could have saved at least one other tire. If it’s good enough for Golfcoast John it’s good enough for me!👍

See you at Hontoon! Tom
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using the Tiresafeguard monitoring system for over 10 years on RV, trucks and boat trailers. I had to change sensor batteries after about 8 years. There are flow thru and non flow thru sensors. The sensors "lock" on the stem with small Allen screws, which makes them less likely to be stolen.

The sensor also monitor's tire temperature.

I also carry a Viair 40047 400P-RV Automatic Portable Compressor 12 volt. This fills tires up to 150 PSI ( I've never used it over 120 PSI), has the best "inflator gun" (which screws on the valve stem with pressure gauge), I have used. It is used by many off roaders, who deflate the "monster" tires for sand and then have to inflate them for hard surface travel.
C-Green

City/Region: Houghton
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Green
Photos: C-Green
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

Why a color monitor for tire pressure and temperature? Seems like black and white would be adequate.

Jay
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jay
The new version came in color and it’s a bit larger. It’s easy to see and I like the mounting system. But do you need color......no. There are other good systems. The TST also comes standard with a repeater although I did not need it. As Dr. Bob pointed out there are other good alternatives. But it’s important that it has temperature and pressure.

See you on Isle Royal in July I trust. 🐟🐟🐟🐟 Tom
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been thinking again about a tire monitor. Although I'm still questioning it's worth, after my uneventful trip out to Prince Rupert and back. I did pick up a piece of glass in one of my tires as I exited in Bloomer, just north of home, to stop by my father in laws for the night, and unfortunately, the tire quickly lost air as I pulled in just off the exit at a gas station. If that had happened going down the road, not sure if a blow out would have occurred of if I would have caught it as it went flat. The thing is, I have routinely trailered Midnight Flyer around 15,000 miles a year the last few years, without incident. But I do a walkaround checking my tires every stop, which is usually 2 hours or less, and before taking off in the morning. I really hate to add another electronic screen inside my pickup. Also, for those that have been using the monitors, how have they held up if frequently dunked, and how often and easy is it to change the sensor batteries?
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, I changed by batteries in my TPMS about a year ago. I didn't have new "O" rings (really tiny)--and one of the four did leak. I have replaced it. I may just pull them off when launching--and put the caps on.

I had tire problems on my "new" RV on the trip back from Calif. One was a fairly fast leak--and I got over to the side of the freeway on an off ramp shoulder. If I had not caught the gradual loss of pressure, I might have blown a front steer tire in the middle of El Paso traffic.... The second time, did blow, and it was a rear dual--I was able to run until I got to a truck stop. The tires were just over 5 1/2 years old at the time. Needless to say, I now have all new tires on the RV, including the spare. I just put new Good Year Endurance, date code several weeks ago on the boat trailer this morning. They were pushing 5 years. I would rather not take a chance.

So, I have had repeated dunking of the sensors, replaced the batteries--(Now I carry a spare set of "O" rings and extra batteries. The change out is easy.

My monitor and original sensors are now over 9 years old--I am dedicating this older monitor to the truck and putting a complete new system on the RV.

As far as dash space--for the RV, I built a board which was 1/2" thick about 6" wide and about 3' long. It is painted to match the dash (Mat grey paint) of the Mercedes sprinter. On the extreme right I have an RV Garmin GPS. Next two Scan Guages programed for the Sprinter 3.0 L engine, then a Rand McNally RV and services--has some features the Garmin doesn't have. I keep this on long range, the Garmin on short range--just as I do on the boat's MDF. Last is the TPMS gauge. The wires (power from the right, from the OBD port on the left) are bundled and have velcro ties to the dash vents. One switch on a 4 way cigarette lighter plug gang, turns the whole bunch on. This is just below my field of vision. It is much easier to see than the speedometer, tach, gauges on the dash.

For the GMC truck. I am going to make a second board. Left will be the Garmin map, with the boat perimeters (Lengeth, width and height, in it for routing.). Then a Scan Gauge II for the GMC--especially watch transmission temp, HP, instant MPG Voltage etc, and coolant temp--digital are far better than the analogue gauges.

Next will be a rear view monitor--I have a camera below the Radar arch on the boat, and on the roof of the Yukon XL to monitor traffic from behind--and when backing. These cameras are hard wired, and tied to the railings with small electrical zip ties. Can be easily cut and re-applied when at your destination.

Finally will be the TPMS monitor. The same idea as the RV--all of the information you need is just below your forward vision, and can be seen with only a glance down--instead of searching the dash, and a built in camera.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: