The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Garelick kicker bracket corrosion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alainP

City/Region: TUCSON
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: deja la
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Garelick kicker bracket corrosion Reply with quote

Has anyone with a Garelick bracket experienced corrosion on the lower part of the mounting frame below waterline? I can't say I am surprised knowing that aluminum and salt water seldom get along but it only has been 3 months since I installed the bracket and at the present rate of corrosion don't see much of a future for the bracket. Is there a protective coating that can be used?Or, should I look into adding a zinc anode just like on the the main motor bracket? ( by the way that one zinc took a heavy toll as well during the same period of time) Thanks for any idea and input.
Alain
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using the boat in salt water? The type of water determines what type of anode. Zinc for the salt water, Magnesium or one of the aluminum allows for fresh water.

Most likely the bracket is not a corrosion resistant aluminum series. You could coat it, but the problem is that parts articulate, and thus there is wear where it articulates. There may also be an issue, with SS fasteners and the aluminum.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
alainP

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is salt water and very salty at that (sea of Cortez) the corrosion is on the lower parts of the 2 alu. angles used to fasten the articulated bracket to the transom. There is no articulation there, just immersion. On the main motor I did use the proper zinc for saltwater, I remember that as when I ordered them as they offered information and choices on both kind. Could it be some type of stray current? I did leave the boat at a marina for a few weeks this winter but made sure shore power was disconnected and my cord rolled up and stowed before leaving.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stray current is always possible--but I doubt that the bracket is bonded to any other items in the boat. Sometimes copper bottom pain can be conductive. To check for stray current a silver chloride electrode and voltmeter are used. I would try a small round zinc on the aluminum to start with.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Journey On is a 2005 C-25. I've never noticed the (little) outboard bracket in salt water. In fact, we had the same Garelick bracket for 10 years; replaced it when it wore out, not corroded out. Replaced it with the same model.

We've had 2 outboards on that bracket: a Honda 9.9, long shaft, and a Tohatsu. With the heavy Honda, if we went to use it, the bracket stayed in the up position. With the short shaft Tohatsu, one has to lower the bracket to use it and it works.

The moral of this story is to check where the bracket is located. Maybe you can move it up out of the water.

We spent a winter in the Gulf of California, never saw a C-Dory. When we got one, I now think it's a perfect boat for the Gulf. Where are you located?

Boris
san juanderer

City/Region: Stanwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is unusual.
There are some series of aluminum that are not salt water compatible, but you say this is a garelick bracket.
Something is causing the corrossion you are experiencing.
Please post some pics showing the mounting of bracket and the mounting of the kicker to it. And any other attachments to the bracket and the kicker.

Commander 30 Sportfish (sold)
Olympic 26 XL (sold)
Glassply 19 (sold)
Olympic 23 (sold)
Bayliner 38 Motoryacht (sold)
Olympic 20 (sold)
Fiberform 16 (sold)
Olympic 18 (sold)
alainP

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll try to figure out how to post pictures. It is a Garelick bracket, the heavy one.
alainP

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris, we are in Tucson,Az. And yes, it is a perfect boat for the Gulf, we just spent 3 months in the Sea of Cortez exploring the islands and fishing some.
I followed installation instructions to the letter for the Garelick (15"drop model). I have a short shaft Tohatsu 9.8. After launching when i first tested the installation, I was surprised to find out that dropping the outboard to the last of the 4 notches was too low and notch # 3 was just right, so yes, i could have mounter the bracket a bit higher and I might do so yet because of the corrosion problem even though i hate the idea of patching holes and drilling new ones.
I'll be posting a picture soon I hope.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alainP,

I noticed that the left hand data said you were from Tuscon. I was wondering where in the Gulph you went. When we had small (trailerable) sailboats we went to the upper part of the Gulph, such as Puetrocitas, Puerto Penasco, Los Angeles Bay and finally, San Carlos/Guymas. With the larger sailboat, Cabo San Lucas, La Paz and Mazitlan and further south to Puerto Vallarta. It was all beautiful.

You and I now have the same motor, a Tohatsu 9.8. Judy and I are getting old and it's the lightest 10 hp outboard.

Boris
alainP

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris, I sent you a PM, don't want to drift off subject too much..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: