View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:56 pm    Post subject: Rhea 800 Reply with quote

Alternative to RS-246, but also maybe a CD25.

https://cardinalyachtsales.com/new-boats/rhea-marine/rhea-800-timonier/
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, nice boat, and new is going to be close to $400,000. (Sales tax, electronic, canvas outfitting,trailer etc could make it in the $450,000 range.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice boat albeit larger than either the CD25 or the RF246. With its beam of over 10' you would have to give towing some consideration.

Rob

gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To us, the fatal, soul-killing, foul tasting, totally unacceptable, disgusting flaw is not the price.

It’s an oversize at over 10 foot beam.

Which means you need to obtain a separate temporary permit from EACH AND EVERY STATE DOT YOU EVER TRAVEL THROUGH, EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU TRAILER IT ANYWHERE AT ALL.

We travel through NINE states in three easy peasy 500 mile days from PNS to the Erie canal. In Florida, you won’t receive your permit until three days after you pay for it…it’s only valid for 72 hours…you can not vary from the prescribed routing no matter what, flat tire etc you pay again to FL and each of the other nine states if delayed. If you think (like many FL voters do) that your own state DOT is not always instantly and aggressively responsive to your urgent needs, just imagine what it would be like if you weren’t even a voter there.

NY to FL (only six states) was over $900 in state DOT fees for a 10’ beam Ranger Tug 29 in 2022.

If Colby towed a 10’ beam boat, he would have had to pay an estimated $4,970,873 in state DOT fees by now (LOL). That might be more than he makes in an entire year! Or perhaps not, and perhaps you wouldn’t care either, regardless of where you haul your C-Dory.

The design brief for non-oversize trailerable cruising boats means staying under the Federal 8.5’ beam (very difficult), the 13.5 height (less difficult unless you carry as much Stuff up there as Colby does), and the 65’ total length (easy).

If we wanted an outboard oversize but trailerable cruising boat that sleeps five for a half million dollars less, we’d rate the Aspen C108 as far more desirable.

https://www.boatingmag.com/story/boats/2021-aspen-c108/

Stefan, you should check it out. Made in the USA, so it won't smell like garlic cigarettes.

Cheers!
John

Schuster

City/Region: Port Orchard
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Sea Witch
Photos: Sea Witch
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure this boat is at all in the same class as a CDory. A beautiful boat for sure. As far as trailerability, I'm going to give it a failing mark. After having owned an Atlas Acadia 25 with a full keel, I assure you that this boat will have to be on a pretty tall bunked trailer to provide clearance for the skeg protected prop. That having been said it would require you to either get a long extension for the trailer hitch or extra long trailer tongue or you'll be backing your diesel truck down into the water up to the axel. No thanks. With the seat arrangements there doesn't appear to be a lot of storage. I do like the 10ft beam but again not conducive to towing. At 8400lbs dry, you'll definitely be needing at least a 2500 diesel truck to haul it. But if someone were to give me one I would be jumping for joy.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If Colby towed a 10’ beam boat, he would have had to pay an estimated $4,970,873 in state DOT fees by now (LOL). That might be more than he makes in an entire year! Or perhaps not, and perhaps you wouldn’t care either, regardless of where you haul your C-Dory.

The design brief for non-oversize trailerable cruising boats means staying under the Federal 8.5’ beam (very difficult), the 13.5 height (less difficult unless you carry as much Stuff up there as Colby does), and the 65’ total length (easy).

No thank you. I'll stick to nothing bigger than my 25'. The truck gas alone to tow it is about all I can afford! And all that stuff on the roof (what stuff?) doesn't go up there until I'm at the boat ramp prepping to launch, anyway... Mr. Green Colby
qboat

City/Region: Delmarva
State or Province: DE
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: Runt
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are willing to go over 8.5 beam, there are lots of nice "trailerable" cruisers our there. I had a Cheoy Lee Monterey Clipper, "Tortuga," strip-planked mahogany, on a custom trailer. Beautiful, comfortable, capable 31 footer, what George Buehler calls a "troller" yacht. But I sold her because I didn't have time to run a displacement boat unless I could trailer her where I wanted to go, and I couldn't trailer her with 9.5' beam without onerous permits (or unacceptable liability risk). Lovely boat--google Tortuga Monterey Clipper if you are interested--or if you are in the Florida panhandle she is just visible from Highway 98, moldering away under the trees, east of East Point. That is what makes the C-dory unique, the combination of a capable cruising boat and a vessel that can be readily towed long distance. Boats with those qualities are thin on the ground. Sam
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qboat wrote:
I had a Cheoy Lee Monterey Clipper, "Tortuga," strip-planked mahogany, on a custom trailer. Beautiful, comfortable, capable 31 footer, what George Buehler calls a "troller" yacht. Sam

Sam, found her. "Tortuga" - 1963 Monterey Clipper. Looks very seaworthy with nice lines.

www.cheoyleeassociation.com/monterey.htm

Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qboat wrote:
Beautiful, comfortable, capable Sam

Not just words in a sales brochure - simply put - what it is. A beautiful example of a seaworthy double ender. Hopefully somebody will appreciate and use it.

Rob
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DayBreak wrote:
qboat wrote:
I had a Cheoy Lee Monterey Clipper, "Tortuga," strip-planked mahogany, on a custom trailer. Beautiful, comfortable, capable 31 footer, what George Buehler calls a "troller" yacht. Sam

Sam, found her. "Tortuga" - 1963 Monterey Clipper. Looks very seaworthy with nice lines.

www.cheoyleeassociation.com/monterey.htm

As perfect of a couple's boat as I think I've ever seen. Of course, I'm often accused of being a minimalist. But Tortuga looks like safe and decadent minimalist boating.

I had a strip-planked mahogany hull (bronze boat nail edge-fastened and Resorcinal glued) and the hull was perfect at age 40. Probably still perfect at 60. When climbing around in hard to reach areas in the bilge, I came across dry sawdust and plane shavings from when she was built. Miss that boat, but I sold out and now have pressure hot water on my big boat. But when I'm feeling spoiled I can always spend a week on my CD 16.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
qboat

City/Region: Delmarva
State or Province: DE
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: Runt
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that, guys. I have been lucky enough to have some pretty and capable boats, but none more so than Tortuga. I was shocked and saddened to see her falling into disrepair, while driving down the highway in a place I had never been before last year, in the Florida Panhandle. I too hope somebody loves her enough to set her right. You could never replace her today. Sam
markm

City/Region: Clinton
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that Rhea is staying right here in the NW. Michelle and I have been working with Cardinal Yacht Sales for the last 6mos after selling our 22cruiser. And we sent the $$ yesterday. We loved our C-dory but really needed something bigger that still maintained some character and classic lines. We are thrilled with the Rhea 800 and will be keeping it in the water. If you see us out and about please do not hesitate to say hi and check her out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: