City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan,
The most common heater in the C Dory is a Wallas Stove, which has a lid with a blower, and is diesel. There is a 1 gallon +/- tank under the galley (under the stove). Diesel is a safe fuel (in comparison to gas and propane).

Yes, If I had a propane tank (which I assume is up on deck , and vented overboard, so that no propane fumes could get into the bilge) I would still have a propane sniffer and a CO detector aboard. In any boat you want at least one--preferably two CO detectors. One by the head of a person in the bunk. The other by the helmsman's head.

Many propane istallations have a selenoid valve switch by the stove, and it can be hit to open the valve on the external tank. The propane heaters like the Dickenson are good heaters, but they do not have a way to circulate heat to the bunk area --short of a fan by the top of the stack, which blows forward circulate heat in the boat--the hardest part to heat is the bunk. The propane Dickenson requires a smaller stack than the Diesel Dickenson (which I have owned on a large boat) . This is why I suggested a forced air diesel heater. There are RV propane forced air heaters, but these are not designed for marine use. Propane requires a lot of propane in comparision to diesel. Diesel is easy to obtain--propane more difficult. A gallon of Diesel has about 35% more energy that a gallon of propane.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Bob says,look into the Wallas stove. Most 22 and longer C-Dorys came from the factory with a Wallas installed next to the sink. They run on diesel and a small plastic tank is installed in the cabinet beneath the counter. An advantage is that they have helpful customer service located right in Seattle (Scan Marine). Some people love them and some, well, don't.. I'm not recommending them one way or the other, but they seem to be pretty common among C-Dorys that have a stove. Do a search on this site to see what I mean. That's a beautiful boat. Enjoy and welcome.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
alippman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Spirit
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the ideas.

That Wallas stove / heater looks really really slick!

And keeping a 1 gallon diesel tank under it sounds like it should be pretty easy.

I'll have to dig into the prices!

Best
Alan
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wallas is pretty pricey and you'll soon find out that C-Brats generally either love or hate their Wallace (I love mine). Some who have had bad experiences with the Wallace have replaced them with other units such as an Espar heater. Regardless though, diesel has a big advantage in terms of the amount of heat you can get from a relatively small volume. We get about 36 hours of heat from a gallon of diesel and we generally only run the heater for an hour or two at a time.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Welcome to the C-Brats! Reply with quote

Just thought I would mention for anyone that is not familiar with the Wallas stove/heater, a lot of them run on kerosene as well as diesel. I run mine on kerosene. I have had diesel heaters on other boats and I find kerosene less smelly.

Martin.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan, Welcome aboard. I'm one of those with both a love-hate relationship with the Wallas. Hated it when during the first couple weeks of our last years three month summer cruise in Southeast Alaska the Wallas quit & loved all 784 hours we ran the new one during the last two months of the cruise.

Martin, I too used to use & prefer kerosene to diesel & especially so Klean Heat a synthetic kerosene. Since diesel was regulated to an ultra low sulfur content, I find the difference in smell untellable, so have switched to diesel, which also has the advantage of having more btu per gallon & much easier & cheaper to purchase during a long cruise.

Jay

PeterQ

City/Region: Annapolis & Mt Victoria
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2013
Vessel Name: Sea Wings
Photos: Sea Wings
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a new CD25 this year and was told that the factory would charge $2700 for that option! Shocked

So ... No Wallas for me....

Hurricane SD191
Hobie Wave

Each day is a gift - especially if it's spent on the water!
bridma

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Welcome to the C-Brats! Reply with quote

Hunkydory wrote:

Martin, I too used to use & prefer kerosene to diesel & especially so Klean Heat a synthetic kerosene. Since diesel was regulated to an ultra low sulfur content, I find the difference in smell untellable, so have switched to diesel, which also has the advantage of having more btu per gallon & much easier & cheaper to purchase during a long cruise.

Jay

Thanks Jay. I'll bear that in mind. I was told that you can switch easily from kerosene to diesel and vice-versa. Just top up with one or the other when your tank gets low. No need to drain off the old stuff or the system.

Martin.
bridma

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Welcome to the C-Brats! Reply with quote

PeterQ wrote:
I got a new CD25 this year and was told that the factory would charge $2700 for that option! Shocked

So ... No Wallas for me....

My next door neighbour is a Wallas dealer. He has a demo model (two ring) in as new condition. $2200 I think.
I have now been running my Wallas for 2 years, love it.

Martin.
Thorne

City/Region: Whale Pass, Prince of Wales Island, Southeast Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Persistence
Photos: Persistence
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: New To Forum Reply with quote

Hello All,

New to the forum. My wife and I bought a place only accessible by boat in Southeast Alaska back in 2010 with a broken down homesteader's cabin, a bunch of tools, and a 22' Angler. The boat has been sitting on the trailer for 15 years. We have been so busy building our house during the brief summers that little time has been spent fishing, and investing in a new motor, steering cables, electronics etc. . . .has not been worth it. However, this will be the summer to get the boat in the water.

What advice do you have in terms of equipment, etc. . . The hull appears to be in good shape from a visual inspection. The current motor is a 1986 90 Yamaha 2-stroke that looks new under the cowling. After sitting that long (and the prior owner was not known for winterizing and maintenance) I expect that there is corrosion, and won't trust it. I'm planning on replacing that with a 4-stroke 90.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
swf

City/Region: Gulf Islands Canada
C-Dory Year: 2002
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: new c-dory owner Reply with quote

Hi all

Well, after a number of close calls, we managed to buy a 2003 22, thanks entirely to posting on this forum and getting a message from a very nice young man suddenly transferred to the State of Georgia from the Pacific Northwest. We now own Lorelei, with its well maintained twin 40 Hondas and tandem King trailer.

Some purchase notes that may be of interest to my fellow Canadians looking to buy in the US.

The process is very easy. No broker is needed. The most stressful part was driving on Interstate 5. You must have the original title to the boat and to the trailer. The CBSA (Canada Border Security Services) will look at the price you paid so be prepared to prove you paid fair market value. (The agent read all the printouts of all the postings on this forum regarding the sale of Lorelei). You cannot save any tax by using a fake low price on your purchase document (the Bill of Sale) Not that anyone has ever done this in BC.
In BC you can get short term insurance to insure the trailer to get it home. This cost me $46. The original WA plates are still on it, but the seller did not need them back.
I wired the purchase money to the buyer's bank account directly from mine. This cost me $50. I had to wait most of a day after the sea trial for the money to show up in his account, before I got the titles (and the key to the trailer tongue lock). I drove directly to the border and paid my GST and PST on the boat and GST on the trailer. I was done in 15 minutes. The CBSA never even looked at the boat. You can use a credit card or a wheelbarrow of cash to pay the Government.

The remaining steps are to pay the RIV fee of $200 and get new registration issued for the trailer in BC, which I think only involves checking the VIN and issuing the document.

Oh, and taking more of my money including the PST on the trailer, insurance for the trailer and marine insurance on the boat.

Nice to know all the costs of boat ownership are now almost all behind me....
BigO

City/Region: Savannah
State or Province: GA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I registered a little while ago, but just now getting around to posting. I come from a C-dory family, having a 16' as a kid. My current boat is a 23' Caribiana Sea Skiff with a Yamaha F60, looks like a panga and a classic dory style boat combined. Even though it's not C-Dory, it has many of the same characteristics (sharp high bow, flat bottom transom, fuel efficient and very sea worthy), so I figured this would be a good site for advice. Also, I hope to someday upgrade to a 19' or 22' C-dory. I love my current boat, but I do miss having a cabin to duck out of the weather.

Thanks,
Oscar

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Oscar, and Welcome.

This is great place, lots of super people and tons of good information, both for C-Dorys and boating. I have seen lots of your type of boats on the beach at Pacific City, doing surf launch and retrieves for the fishing guys.

Right now there is a cool 19 for sale down your way someplace. It was posted recently so probably not sold yet Very Happy Crying or Very sad depending on if you are buying or selling. Check the home page, bottom right corner for the For Sale ads. Not many of the 19 show up there, and for sure, not for long.

Have a great weekend and enjoy kicking around here on the site.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard. I had looked at buying a 23' Caribiana Sea Skiff as my center console--at that time they were made in Foley Alabama, across the bay from us. Now they are being made here in Pensacola. Nice boats.
snal

City/Region: Asheville
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Thelma Lou
Photos: Thelma Lou
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Old new guy.... Reply with quote

Greetings all! We sold our beloved "Thelma-Lou" several years ago, and I haven't posted much since, but have checked this forum from time to time.
I have the URGE to get another big boat, so I'm back to get myself up to date on current info.
Glad to be back! (almost)

Currently looking for a steal of a deal on a 25' "Thelma Lou II"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 14 of 21

Jump to: