Prop choice for Injected Honda 90-CD22

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil Barnes

City/Region: Colorado /San Juan Islands
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Swan-C
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Prop choice for Injected Honda 90-CD22 Reply with quote

I have a CD 22 with an injected Honda 90 running a Honda Solas 13.5 inch diameter X 15 pitch aluminum 3 blade prop. This is the standard prop and what most folks start with. It works but I think it can be fine tuned maybe. When heavily loaded for cruising I can achieve about 5200 rpm. The WOT range for the injected 90 is 5300 to 6300 rpm so I am at the lower end of the range. When very lightly loaded on calm water it will run up to about 6000 rpm or a bit more and about 28/29 mph. I would like to get a little more toward the middle of the rpm range when loaded and looked at changing to a Honda Solas 13.75 diam X 13 pitch 3 blade, which is the next step down in that line of props.

A Brat running the 13 pitch prop posted in another thread that he was hitting 6300 rpm (may have had the governor working limiting the rpm to 6300?), 23 mph WOT and burning about 7.5 gph at WOT. I don't have any specifics on load for that example or for cruising speed in the lean burn range of less than say 4100 rpm. I think this prop may drop my fuel mileage more than I would like. A 2 inch drop in pitch should increase rpm about 400 rpm theoretically (one inch of pitch generally increases rpm by about 200 rpm, but there are other factors that depend on engine, boat, load etc. ).

Marc at Weifingers Marine had posted some time ago that he recommends the stainless Mercury Vengeance (or Quicksilver Verado - same prop different badging I believe) at 13.375 diam X 14 pitch 3 blade for the Honda 90. At least two other Brats also run this prop for heavy loads and reported in other threads that it works well for them. 12-14 mph at 3800 rpm rising to 16-17 mph at 4000 to 4100 rpm as the load lightens (there may have been a comment about as the ice melts and the beer supply is consumed).

Another Brat runs a 4 blade prop at 13.75 inch X 15 inch pitch. I didn't find specifics on that example. I have read that changing to a 4 blade prop of the same size and pitch drops rpm similar to adding one inch of pitch (about 200 rpm). I don't know if that plays out in practice or not.

I am very interested in hearing what props folks are running on heavily loaded CD 22 cruising boats with a 90 hp (carb or injected). Particularly interested at speeds in the lean burn range, say less than 4100 rpm as well as WOT rpm and WOT speed when fully loaded. Any info on fuel mileage is always helpful.

There are several other threads that go into detail on prop design, prop theory and adjustment for altitude (Lake Powell etc.). Rather than repeating that info here I was hoping for on the water experience for fully loaded CDs set up for a long cruise.

Thanks in advance!
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the first thing is to define "heavily loaded".

I run a 13.5x15 3 blade AL prop on my 22 with a BF90D. It was what was on the boat when I got it. It seems to work fine. I've not seen any reason to change it.
ssobol

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the first thing is to define "heavily loaded".

I run a 13.5x15 3 blade AL prop on my 22 with a BF90D. It was what was on the boat when I got it. It seems to work fine. I've not seen any reason to change it.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carried 3 props for the 90--all were aluminum. The 15" I used at sea level, the 13" pitch at Powell (also tried the 11" at Powell). My boat was very heavily loaded--supplies for a month at a time. Large Ice chest, plus chest refer/freezer. The problem with the 13 was running higher RPM than I liked at cruise speed when at or near sea level.

Probably the 14" would be a better compromise. A SS prop will have less flex, and will probably give slightly lower RPM in the same pitch (but one has to consider blade profile, cup, rake etc.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer an AL prop because it is more sacrificial than a SS prop and can be easily dressed with a file if the sacrificial mode has been engaged.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This 15 vs 13 inch prop pitch dilemma has been a frequent one over the years because the 15 is too steep for heavy loads and high elevations, while the 13 may be to low for some, especially at sea level.

The 14 would seem to be the best compromise for a single prop solution, but is hard to find/not often offered.

I settled on an aluminum 4-blade 14 inch pitch Solas and found it the best compromise, (albeit with a 90-hp fuel injected Yamaha, not a Honda).

The 4-blade slips less, has a nice hole shot, carries loads well, but also takes a mph or so off the top end due to extra surface area and the resultant frictional losses, yet seems to be the best compromise overall, including cost considerations.

Good luck with your quest! The search for the Perfect Prop is an endless one without a lasting solution in a lifetime too short to loose sleep over questions whose answers escape mortal souls. Laughing

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Art in Fairfield Harbour

City/Region: Fairfield Harbour
State or Province: NC
Photos: RED TOP
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Prop Choice Reply with quote

Used Red Top came from dealer in Alliance NC with a 13" aluminum Honda prop. I had requested a SST prop, but all they found available at that time was 11 pitch, so I installed it. With the 11 pitch, lightly loaded, small chop on Neuse, top speed is 30 MPH at 6300 RPM, apparently limited by RPM. I will change to SST 13" ASAP! SST used here because of the shallow water, mud bottom, that the prop can tolerate when going slow.
Phil Barnes

City/Region: Colorado /San Juan Islands
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Swan-C
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to those that responded. This info is all very helpful. Joe, thanks for the info on the 4 blade 14 pitch Solas....good to see a post from you as well! Yes, it is a quest for the best fit but I have to agree there is no perfect prop.

Is anyone else running a 14 pitch prop on a Honda 90? If so I would benefit from learning of your prop selection and experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: