The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cruising SE Alaska out of Skagway, 2018.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay and Jolee, Thanks so much for sharing your trip. I have been to some of those places in person, and some on Google Earth, but I recognize many of the names. Sure seems like a short trip, but you got in 1234 miles --was that numeric planned Wink

Wishing you safe travels as you return. Stay safe and enjoy the ride.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, 40 nights is a short trip with half the cost being on the road. We would have stayed longer, but JoLee’s arthritis & inner ear troubles were taking much of the fun out of it for her.

6-22-18. Following showers & a restful night at the dock, we started late morning, the boat pull out & clean-up process. The Skagway Marina has excellent facilities for doing this & the process went quick & well. As mentioned the facilities at the Skagway Small Boat Harbor are excellent & the docking fees for us at $12.50 for the night, the lowest of any marina we visited. The Harbor Master does a great job here & is also very pleasant in making arrangements for what ever is needed. By 3pm Alaska time we were on the beautiful 150 mile drive out of Skagway to Atlin with only a quick stop at the Yukon Border & ice cream at Carcross. The 150 miles total, includes the little over 60 mile drive from the Yukon & Alaska HY directly south into British Columbia to the small isolated town of Atlin on the edge of beautiful Atlin Lake. We found big changes since our last visit with with the cost of launching & storing of truck & trailer going from $20 Canadian a week to a day. With the the shock of this still on my mind & the launching facilities primitive, we forgot to put in the plug. Anyway that’s our not so good excuse. By the time it was noticed & the boat lined the 30 feet to the side to the unloading dock, water was close to a foot deep in the cockpit & several inches in the cabin with much of our stuff soaked. By the time all was back shipshape except for the drying out process, it was getting fairly late, so off into the normal stiff down from the glaciers wind to the entry of Torres Chanel & into the first protected bite on the side to anchor for the night. Here while sorting out all the soaked stuff, we had the enjoyment of a huge lynx walk along the shore close to our anchorage. It’s only the 2nd one, we have ever seen & the other was on our way home from here by Watson Lake in 2010. The first was not more than a quick glance, this was several minutes. What a wonderful way to end our first day back on Atlin Lake. It’s been 8 years since our last visit here with our first in 2001, when we explored the lake for several days in a inflatable boat, then back again in 2003, our first trip north with the Hunkydory & the last with the Hunkydory & Mokai in 2010. This lake looks similar to Jackson Lake in Grand Teton National Park, which is a world class beauty, except Atlin Lake is much larger at 70 miles long & close to 14 miles wide if including the channels from Williston Inlet to the widest part of the Lake & it’s Islands. I would rank Atlin Lake & I think most others would too as the most remote & beautiful mountain lake, perhaps even in the entire world, that a trailerable boat can be towed to & launched to explore. The best part to us is very few other boats or people here. 6 miles today

6-23-10 Our 2nd granddaughters 8th Birthday. Happy Birthday Bean.

Up & moving by 7am to make the 20 mile run up Torres Channel to Williston Inlet. The clear blue sky, mirror smooth turquoise waters, more than a hundred islands of all sizes & shapes, shore lines with more small nooks & bites than I’ve seen on any other lake, all with intriguing rock, tree & grass combinations, huge snow capped mountains with glaciers peeking out between & waterfalls throughout, made our memories from the past of the beauty here true, not fanciful. We spent the day exploring this wonderland & returning to & reminiscing over many of the special places & times shared here in the past, while enjoying every minute of the present.

A remarkable Change from past visits here is the out flow rivers of the Lewellyn Glacier. In 2010, I tried to go up one of its outlets at the head of Lewellyn Inlet, the official head of the Yukon River in our motorized kayak called a Mokai. I had a great time trying, but was unsuccessful in reaching the glacier calving lake at its head, due to the danger being to great to continue. That winter, I read the ice burst within the Lewellyn Glacier letting a inner lake flood down the river, I tried to go up. Today, I could see a huge volume of water still in this river & wondered why. Later today, I found out why, when we reached further around the lake, where the other rivers use to flow. The flood created huge sand & gravel bars, that now block these rivers or the glacier calving lake that once fed them is now lower than the old outlet so flowing into the Lewellyn Inlet, & all the water from the Lewellyn Glacier is now flowing out the one, I tried to go up in 2010. We are now anchored in a very small cove on the south east shore of the lake, directly across from where the glacier rivers once flowed. Now maybe a powerful jet boat could go up the outlet, but for sure not a Mokai. 63 miles today 69 total.

6-24-18. Up at 7 am to be greeted by a cloudy sky & a porcupine on the shore. We now started into one of the many Island groups on the southwest side of the lake & though much different than the rugged mountain edged side of the lake it has a more placid beauty with the intricate rocky shores mixed with accessible beaches & covered with a mix of pine, aspen & a tundra like grass with some of the inlets lined with a grass of similar look to sedge grass. Above this are large mountains more rounded than the ragged glacier side but still topped with patches of snow. We crisscrossed the lake to see the 1st narrows & on the way back in the middle of the lake spotted a caribo swimming across. We didn’t want to stress him, so just took one quick photo & a few seconds of video before turning away. With having now seen most of the lake, we had so completely explored in the past, we decided to make for Atlin pull the boat & move on to Teslin Lake & if weather cooperates, return to Nuslutin Bay, which we last explored in the Hunkydory in 2003 & prior to that in 2001 & 2002 in a inflatable boat, when we went several miles up the Nuslutin River & then 40 miles down Teslin lake’s out flow river, the Teslin River. During these trips, we also explored the complete 80 miles of Teslin Lake, so it will be wonderful to again be afloat on it tomarrow.

We are now in a Yukon Campground for the night on the edge of Teslin Lake, where sitting by a campfire with wood provided can look out on the lake. These Yukon Campgrounds are a really good deal at only $12 Canadian per night with campfire wood no charge. 49 miles today & a total of 119 miles, which is only 4 miles more than we did in just one day in our inflatable boat in 2001. It was gps shown mileage that day & though I never recorded the total for the 5 days, i’d estimate it was well over 300 miles.

6-27-18. We decided not to launch the boat on Teslin Lake, due to forecast being extended rain period & finding out the area of the lake we wanted to see again would be best done in the fall, when it’s a staging area for waterfowl. After a couple days of rain staying with us for a 1000 miles on the road in Canada, we crossed the border back into Montana & the good ole US of A. We made it home on the 28th, just in time for all the grandkids to make it here the following day.

On this trip of 40 days, we logged a total of 1349 miles on the water & 4802 miles towing the HunkyDory & that was without any mechanical or electrical problems with boat, trailer or truck, which is the least problems we’ve had since our first extended trip up north with the HunkDory in 2003. We feel really good about that, since the boat is a year 2000, the motors, year 1999 & they now have 2300 hours. The present trailer year 2007 with over 40,000 miles & the truck, year 2006 with 135,000 miles.

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than the free fresh water rinse of the inside of your boat, sounds like a wonderful time at Lake Altin. Thanks for sharing all this with us Jay. And the plug thing just goes to show, that even someone as experienced as you can forget something! I'm just getting ready to head out, up to Grand Portage, MN, where I'll join about 6 other boats to go spend about two weeks in Isle Royale National Park. These boats are so wonderful for trailering and getting out to see whatever! Colby
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, thanks for sharing all your adventures! I hope to put Atlin Lake on my next years to do, it sounds beautiful.

Hope to see you and JoLee this September!

Happy 4th, safe travels!

Water Bill

City/Region: Lake Keowee, SC
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: Mystery Girl (Ranger Tug R-23)
Photos: Mystery Girl and C-Swell
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Jay and Jo-Lee and happy 4th of July from Camp Clow. Glad you had a great time and a safe return to Cokeville. It's on to Grand Portage from here tomorrow with Meri Aura, C-Otter, Tully-B, Dragon Fly and Mystery Girl. Weather permitting we will make the crossing out to Isle Royal Friday morning. At some point we should meet up with Midnight Flyer and Deja La. Looks like we should have a nice two weeks out there on the island.
Bill

Boston Whaler Super Sport 17 1986 to 2007
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby & Bill, you two are really making the best of having a trailerable boat this year & know you both will have a wonderful time at the Isle Royale National Park with all the others.

And yes Colby experience helps, but sure doesn’t make you immune from mistakes that shouldn’t be made. I’m personally not willing to do the complete flight list type routine, but a few like the plug & trailer electrical & mechanical connections properly made should be on a reminder list. In my case at Atlin Lake & other times mistakes have been made, it has almost always been due to breaking up of the normal routine. At Atlin my concentration was shifted to the steep narrow ramp, strong winds & how to best get the boat from the trailer in the water to the small dock further off to the side, but lack of concentration can just as easily occur from a friendly inquisitor inquiring about the unique boat we have. It can become a catch 22 ordeal. A detailed list can be overemphasized, while not giving enough thought at the same time to the abnormal not on a list occurring.

Steve, if all comes out as planned, we are looking forward to seeing you & Diane again at Lake Powell. I’ll be adding a few photos & in the future sometime some video of Atlin Lake, which may help more your incentive to see it in person.

Jay
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the trip Jay a little shorter but it looks like you covered a lot of ground. Atlin Lake looks like you could spend some time on it. Hope to see you and Jo-lee at Yellowstone later in the summer.

Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jody, we hope to make it to Yellowstone sometime between late August & before Bridge Bay closes in Sept. let me know what week end you plan on & we’ll see if we can be there too. We also are hoping to make the Lake Powell Gathering. Will you be there?
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay planing on Aug 23 to 26 the weekend before the holiday. Not sure on dates for Powell but planing on going.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, Glad you're home safe and sound wth no travel troubles. I have had very sporadic i-net service so have had to binge read to catch up. Someplace I missed you cleaning out the inside of the boat. I did that once, by having the cockpit full of wash water and then moving the boat on the trailer. One good slosh and it was in the cabin. Not what I planned. Hope you got all dry again.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
KevinDU

City/Region: Terrace
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Sea Otter
Photos: Sea Otter
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: HUNKYDORY QUESTION Reply with quote

Hi Jay,
I just read about your Alaska cruise and I have a question about how you are able to get 6 mpg. At what rpm are you running your Twin 40s to achieve this incredible fuel economy/range? I run Twin 50 hp Yamahas and I carry as much as 90 gallons on some trips. At 3800 rpm I get 3 mpg, at 4200 rpm even less than that.

Thanks and stay save,

Kevin
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin, I only got the 6 mpg or better with my old twin Honda’s by running both motors down with one in neutral & turned off & the other at about 2800 rpm & 7 mph. I changed up speed a lot depending on conditions & time frames to reach passes & daily destinations, so rpm might be as low as 2300 & speed 5 mph or up to slightly over 7 mph at 3000 rpm. The 6 mpg would be a average over a period of days. When on plane, milage dropped to between 3 & 3.5 mpg at rpm between 4400 & 4800 rpm & speed 13 & 16 mph. The average combined displacement & on plane speed fuel milage for our last three SE Alaska cruises was a little over 5 mpg. I’ve learned to value & enjoy cruising at near displacement speed with the biggest benefit being extending the range between refueling. My props used for the ocean cruise were 10 pitch x 12 inch. So far it appears our new Honda 60 hp twins running 15 pitch by 11.1 inch props will be considerably better yet in fuel burn. I do take advantage of the tides to help milage when possible.

I imagine if you only ran the one motor at similar speeds as me our mpg would be close to the same.

Jay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: