The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cruising SE Alaska out of Skagway, 2018.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, I responded to your PM today. I always appreciate your responses here & look forward to seeing them. What a motorcycle road trip you made & neat you actually made it through the metropolis of Cokeville, Wy. We would have loved to have been there to greet you.

6-16-18. With forecast light wind for Icy & Chatham strait & the whales gone from the Port Fredrick area, we decided to cut this visit to Hoonah short & head out at 12 noon today. Well the forecast were off & we got beat up some from the on the bow 2 & 3 footers, that managed closer to four as we finally gave up & made the turn around the point to find shelter for the rest of the afternoon & night in Whitestone Bay, Chichagof Island. In doing the rounding of the point a little to close, we nearly found the limits of how much the Kaboat can take, while being towed. It didn't like the very steep close set 4 footers from behind. With a close look & throttle control we managed not to flip it over & a good lesson learned. The waves were coming directly into Whitestone Bay, so fortunately there was a little nook off to one side at the end that gave the protection we wanted. A boat bigger or less shallow drafted would not not have got protection. 24 miles today & 847 total.

6-17-18. Up at 3:30 am & on the way by 3:50 to make the most out of the night calming of the waves. Not bad for the first 15 miles, but then sharp edges starting forming again. I almost stopped at a nook at 28 miles, but then it started smoothing out. 11 miles before Warm Springs Bay the afternoon winds picked up & we were back into 2 to three foot on the bow. NOAA still saying calm winds with 1 foot or less waves & the Windy weather app 4 mph max winds. We are now only a few miles out from the Warm Springs Bay & the welcomed hot tubs. Today's mileage will be 70 miles & that will make 917 so far on this trip total.

Hunkydory

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6-18-18. After the long day yesterday bucking the chop, we both soaked in the hot springs, then put the dingy on the roof & motor for it in the cockpit for our run across Chatham strait to round Point Gardiner. Followed by back in the spring water to almost midnight. Up this morning at 6 am to blue sky & light winds. As we approached Point Gardiner the fog caught up with us. Not real dense, but couldn't see any points for reference or other boats unless right on us, so happy for electronic charts & radar. The fog was short lived & we spent 14 hours of the day cruising on calm waters & blue skies at about 6 mph as we explored the southern end of Admiralty Island. In & out of Murder Cove & Pybus Bay, then around Gambier Bay looking for the perfect nights anchorage. After checking out all the ones where we have anchored in past years & knowing it was forecast for light winds from the north, we picked a spot in among the Islands at the bay entrance with a wonderful view looking out at the distant snow & ice capped mountain glaciers & closer islands with a scene constantly changing with the tides. Along with the view, the wild life was abundant. Many active Eagles & other shore birds along with seals, sea lions & early in the morning a whale. Nature is often not quiet & we love the animal & birds sounds with a whale breathing close by a real eye opener. 82 miles today & 999 total
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jay, another thread reminded me of a question for you. Another couple asked me about oil changes on the water as they are considering an Alaska adventure. I hadn't really thought about it earlier, figuring I'd change it before I go, and then when I come home. Just wondering, how many hours do you typically put on your engine on your Alaska adventures, and do you worry about doing an oil change while on the water? Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Jay, Thanks and I found the PM. Those hot tubs sound wonderful. Sounds like a nice place to base some day trips out of Wink I have always enjoyed the hot springs near wherever I am.

So as far north as you are, you have pretty short nights. Are they long enough for the winds to die out and give you a typical morning calm? The night before the R2AK I had to be up at 0330 and there was already enough lite to see the eastern horizon. I did enjoy playing in the bio-luminescence earlier in the morning.

Have a great time an stay safe. Enjoying following again.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Hunkydory

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, with us running twins & at least 85% of the time on one motor at displacement speed our hrs will most likely differ significantly from you. This years SE Alaska trip will most likely end with 1234 miles & 117 hours on each motor. This is the least hours we’ve done here since our first trip in 2003. Most of the 8 trips have been between 1500 & 2100 miles with hours between 150 & 200 on each motor. No oil changes, except when forced due to a stuck thermostat causing fuel to dilute the oil. I always use 100% synthetic chevron mobile 1 extended, which if used in cars is supposed to be good for 15,000 miles. I certainly don’t worry about not changing by the book here. With 112 hrs now on each motor on this trip, I’ve not yet needed to add oil & these motors now have 2277 hours on them.

Harvey, yes nights are short. Before midnight or after 2:30 am, I can see well enough to maneuver most of the time & yes the evening & especially early morning are normally the calmest periods, but of course not always. Where we spend long days on the water moving slowly, I try to time the start of the day if possible to match, current flow & wind direction. Best case again of course is current with the wind, but at time the tides don’t cooperate with the desired wind, so decisions of when to leave any anchorage or harbor, I find ever changing with only generalities a constant.

Jay
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jay. I really didn't even think about the necessity of doing an oil change until someone brought it up. Since I tend to do a lot of boating over the summers anyway, with 100-200 hours on the motor, and also run synthetic, I didn't really see much difference in that with a trip to Alaska. I'll likely just stick with my annual oil change. Colby
hardee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Morning Jay, and thank for the reply. Short nights, means you have to sleep fast if you can't sleep long. Great visibility early and late though, makes for being able to shift schedule with the tides easier.

I was really interested in your answer to Colby on your run time percentages. WOW, 85% on a single OB. Are you doing that for fuel range extension? I find I do that often when doing safety boat patrol as I need to keep one engine running to keep the electronics running, (3 VHF's, MFD x2, sounder, radar and often a small inverter to keep tablets up and running) and keep the battery charging, so a single at about 1500 RPM will keep the voltage about 13, so I don't have to worry about browning out my plotter. Usually when I am cruising at slow cruise (about 5 knots) I am running that on both twins. You obviously keep way better numbers than I do so sounds like you have it dialed in very well.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Hunkydory

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Harvey, the one motor running is mainly for fuel economy for range extension. I leave both motors down with the non running motor in neutral. I've tried it about every way possible & this works best for me. Two motors running gives better steering control, but both down & one running is near as good. It's been to long since I tested both in all the different combinations for fuel consumption, but it was significant betreen running just one or two at displacement speed of 6.6 mph. If the non running motor is raised the mileage increase is very little & the steering control decreased a lot. In years past, I ran with one up & only put both down when in areas, I needed the increased steering control. After finding there was very little loss in mileage with bothdown & talkng to a certified Honda mechanic about leaving the non running motor in neautral when down being best option, I've done it this way since & that has now been for several SE Alaska trips & thousands of miles.

When in real tight places, I then run both the motors, as I've found like you it greatly increased boat control by using them for the steering.

Jay
hardee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, Thanks again. You have probably mentioned it before but do you have Permatrims on? That would increase your steering control as well.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Hunkydory

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have the Permitrims
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6-19-18. With clear blue skies & lite winds, we left our much enjoyed views & wildlife noise of our outer Gambier Bay anchorage on Admiralty Island & made way for one of the high lites of a cruise here & a most memorable place for us going back to our tide rapid running there in 2004, where we received a costly lesson on tidal bar crossing. On the entryway into Endicott Arm of Holkham Bay, we found a tidal rapid larger than ever experienced before & very eye opening with the small icebergs still big enough they demanded being missed by the boat. There was also lots of ice in the entry way to Ford Terror Inlet off Endicott Arm Inlet. We were & hour & half early for the flood slack, but decided to run it early & was fine doing so with current not much different than the Yukon River. Inside the views were even more than the normal breathtaking of the many waterfalls & cliffs on this blue sky day. In our many trips here, we have extensively explored most every nook & cranny, so this time we just anchored & enjoyed the splendid view. 53 miles and a 1053 total

6-20-18. With another blue sky day & lite winds forecast for Stephen Passage, we decided to leave Fords Terror on the morning slack tide with a nights stay at the small dock at Taku Harbor the plan. On the way out of Endicott Arm we had to hold up at the entrance for the Disney Cruise ship Wonder. I don’t care much for cruise ships, but it was a Wonder seeing it up close, enter the fairly narrow channel opening & then stop to let some of the passengers off to board smaller sight seeing boats in this remote & beautiful setting.

Once on Stephens Passage the water was so smooth, we decided to keep moving on to Auke Bay near Juneau. I called Doc Steve, a C-Brat from the past who has come to our aid many times on our cruises here in SE Alaska. This time we needed nothing, but a good conversation with him & he came down to the outer dock, where we spent a good part of the evening enjoying his company.

Checking the weather, we found tomarrow will still be clear, but the wind rising & staying up on the bad waters of the Lynn Canal, so it looks like a very early start then a bumpy ride. At least the winds are from the south, so they will be on the stern

Tomarrow or the next day will be our last day on the water in SE Alaska this year. We are leaving early as we have covered the routes planned more quickly than thought we would due to better weather than usual, especially for our low speed but long traveling day method of cruising in the little C-Dory. Also we can here the kids & grandkids request for some summer time shared with them. It’s wonderful to be loved & wanted to be near. 97 miles today & 1149 total

6-21-18. Another mostly clear day & lots of hours of daylight to enjoy. Up at 4 am & off shortly after for the final cruising day. It was a beautiful run with the huge ragged mountain ranges on both sides of the Lynn Canal really standing out with the bright sky.. it was bumpy, but not near so, as it would be now, as we are safely docked in Skagway & the Eldridge Rock area blowing + 25 knots with a small craft warning again.

Our 8th cruise here is now ended with a 85 mile day done at planing speed. This cruise was 1234 miles & that makes for us in our little 22 foot C-Dory boat a total of 11,733 miles in these waters. We seldom see a boat our size cruising here & few of the larger ones have seen as much of these waters as our Hunkydory.

We are planing on spending some time on Atlin Lake on the way home, so it will be not quite so hard to pull the boat from the water here tomarrow.
Water Bill

City/Region: Lake Keowee, SC
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: Mystery Girl (Ranger Tug R-23)
Photos: Mystery Girl and C-Swell
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay,
Thanks for sharing your trip. Really enjoyed following along with you
and Jo-Lee on another great adventure. Sounds like you had a great time. I am heading out for Camp Clow and a month on Lake Superior on June 30th.
Bill

Boston Whaler Super Sport 17 1986 to 2007
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, yes another wonderful trip for us. Share your upcoming one if you can.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jay for sharing. Sure wish I was with you guys this year, but to be honest, those days may have been a little long for me. Sounds like maybe when I get there, I need to stay on my own time zone so those local early morning get ups won't feel so bad! Mr. Green Colby
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, your welcome & glad you enjoyed my sharing.

Most all are different in their cruising methods & over the years, we have worked out what’s best for us up here in a CD22, but sometimes we kick ourselves for not staying longer at some places, but have found unless one is willing to lay over for extended period of a week or so at times, the weather determines, when one can go comfortably or even sometimes safely in a very small boat with a flat bottom like the CD22 especially if wind on the bow is over 10 knots It’s often a case of pay now or later as few including us like to arise out of bed like we did today at 4am, but today was a good example of why one should or plan to stay put for a while. The forecast was for 15 knots from the south this morning which would be on the stern & but later it was supposed to raise to 25 knots plus with the afternoon tides running against. Not longer after our arrive here in Skagway the winds were at that point & probably higher further down at Eldridge Rock & this is forecast to continue for a while. Like many times before we were taking a afternoon nap here as the winds really picked up.

Jay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: