The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cruising SE Alaska out of Skagway, 2018.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
This is highly interesting, very informative and extremely inspirational. Can't wait to retire... Cool

Thanks Mark. I hope on some future day I'm reading of your travels up here.

Jay

Hunkydory

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5-29. Up at 4 am & off the dock & on our way by 4::30 am to get the most out of this blue sky & light wind day. Just as forecast we slipped along on smooth waters down Icy Strait as the sun slowly made it's self known. After 20 miles we met Chatham Strait & turned south along its east shore for 30 miles where we stopped in the tiny nook of Little Basket Bay & dropped the hook in 15 feet of water. I had been told there is a tunnel like place between where we were anchored & Little Basket Lake, so unloaded the dingy to investigate. It was high tide & I went up as far as possible, but after leaving tidal waters, only found a shallow fairly wide fast running creek with steep tree lined edges. Bottom line, no tunnel to explore, but a beautiful place to anchor for a short time.

We are now towing the dingy with about 14 miles to go before reaching one of our favorite anchorages, Takatz Bay, where we plan to stay tonight. This evening the Baranof Island shoreline with the snow capped rugged mountains above are even more beautiful then usual. 90 miles today all at between 5 & 7 mph depending on going with or against the tide. This is while running only one of the twin 40 hp motors & both down. 298 trip total miles.
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5-30 Only a one hour run from Takatz Bay to the new dock in Warm Springs Bay. The new dock is very well done, but for a boat our size they now charge $20 a night. Still a cheap price for the hot spring, beautiful trails & wonderviews. We spent a couple hours in the hot spring water, walked the trail to Baranof Lake & went for a ride in the dingy up a narrow tidal entrance stream to another beautiful inner salt water bay.

One of the many things to do here is have conversations with the varying boat people who make this a destination or stop along the way. The whale researchers are still here, but the whale we enjoyed so much in 2016 hasn't shown up. In talking to the head researcher, I learned what We did by Hoonah to try to avoid the whales who made a bubble circle around us was not the best action. He said the whales knew where we were & would have avoided us & by moving quickly away we could have easily ended up where they moved to. We talked to a man in his thirties with his family here in a sail boat who immigrated to the US at 18 from Russia. He loves his home country, but few who are born here in the US appreciate our way of life like he does or worked so hard to achieve it. Another large trawler with over 20 native Alaskans stopped by to use the springs on there way to a ceremonial in Juneau. I could go on with many more all interesting & enjoyable. 6 miles today & 304 total.

We are now on our way to Red Bluff Bay. A favorite of us both & me 70 years old today. A life time or more for many & me still out doing what I love. I feel very fortunate.

Last edited by Hunkydory on Thu May 31, 2018 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Larry Q

City/Region: Rochester, Wa
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-ya
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Birthday Jay!
I really enjoy following you two on your adventures.
21 more days of work until I retire and Cathy follows me into retirement one month later. I see lots of boat time in our future.
Safe travels.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy birthday--and a great present to spend it in in one of our favorite places also! Must be a great day to be born, and other friend's birthday today also!

May you have many more happy birthdays with Jolee and Hunky Dory!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We talked to a man in his thirties with his family here in a sail boat who immigrated to the US at 18 from Russia. He loves his home country, but few who are born here in the US appreciate our way of life like he does or worked so hard to achieve it

Imagine that. Even he knows all this nation has to offer...

Hauoli la Hanau or Happy Birthday! Beer

Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, a belated happy birthday! I hope you had a great day!
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, Mark, Bob & Steve, thanks for the HB wishes.

5-31-18. 70 years old today. I definitely feel older than when making our first cruise here in SE Alaska with our little 22 foot boat in 2003, but in no way have lost my zest for adventure. We just don't try to pack as much into each day as we used to.

We made our way on smooth waters & sunny skies from Warm Springs Bay to Red Bluff Bay. This is one of our favorite places & over the years have spent at least a accumulate month anchored here. On some years like 2012, the bear watching was incredible with over 18 bears seen in a relatively small area, but if the bears are not about, the views with huge waterfall, sedge grass meadows, a large stream at the head, all surrounded by cliffs with snow covered peaks & numerous small waterfalls added to this, the eagles, otters, deer & many shore birds & it creates a visual feast that never tires the senses. The halibut fishing just outside the bay entrance is very good & during different fish runs inside the bay, salmon & trout fishing can be fantastic. With our CD 22 foot boat being so small, we gave up the fishing several cruises back, but still have had on occasion some wonderful gifted fish dinners.

During the higher tide in the afternoon I took the dingy out, bear & other wildlife looking. No bears & while walking in the meadows & sand bars up river found very little sign of them. There is now another huge tree down across the river blocking access to where in past trips, I would go upstream in the motorized kayak "Mokai", which was probably a good thing as it stopped me from trying it with our present dingy a 13 foot PVC Kaboat with 6 hp Suzuki outboard.

At the entrance on the way in we met, as they were leaving & spoke to on the VHF radio, a couple on the Yacht, Maxamo, who we first met here in 2007. It has a couple of Mokai's aboard & a 14 foot C-Dory as a dingy. The yacht had a different color coat of paint & we didn't at first recognize it, even with its unique shape.

24 miles today 328 total

6-1-18

It started raining this morning & it continued all day, making for a relaxed lazy just watching from the HunkyDory day. We did do a short run out to the bay entrance & back & then re anchored in a spot with a better all round view. 15 miles today & 333 total
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, I don't know if you have a shrimp pot aboard, but we found some excellent shrimping at about 300 feet just to the NW of the further most in, or the islets at the entrance.
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Jay, I don't know if you have a shrimp pot aboard, but we found some excellent shrimping at about 300 feet just to the NW of the further most in, or the islets at the entrance.

Hi Bob, no unfortunately no scrimp pots aboard. It seems just not enough room for all we would like to have on the CD 22, especially with all the extra fuel we take to get to the out of the way places we enjoy seeing. For the 1st time others have told us about the good scrimping to be had in RB Bay this year too. To bad we didn't know about it in 2015, when Brent & Dixie accompanied us there & they did have the pots with little luck elsewhere tried & there untried.
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6-2-18 This morning while out for a ride in the dingy, I met & talked to two women on kayaks. They have a 60 some foot Krogen trawler anchored here near us. One of them had sailed around the world in a sailboat & lived full time on it for twenty years. Now getting older & not liking being out in the weather so much, she has switched to the Krogen. I think from our conversation, I learned why it seems, so few are here & in other places we've been so far this year compared to the past. They are planning a trip into Glacier Bay & when doing the checking they were told, there was 100 less boats on the list now compared to last year & felt the difference is coming from the King Salmon fishing closures. It seems for many making their way up from Washinton State, the king salmon fishing is a large part of the reason for going. When we did fish here, I never spent the 100 plus extra for a king salmon license, over the regular fishing license.

After the dingy ride we headed back on smooth waters to Warm Springs Bay for more walking & hot tub soaking. We topped off the main tanks from the spares & found since leaving Hoonah, we have averaged 6.5 mpg while running on one of the twin 40 Honda motors at a time at displacement speed. When totally topped off with 86 gallons it gives us a max range of 559 miles at displacement speed. If we do all on plane speed it would drop to 284 miles. On past cruises here when we did a combination of mostly displacement & some on plane the average would be about 5.3 mpg or a range of 456 miles. The furthest we have made here between fueling so far is 405 miles with 25 gal still in reserve.

We are now tied to the dock at the Baranof Warm Springs for the night with the muffled roar of the water fall to put us to sleep. 28 miles today & 361 total

6-3-18 A very sweet-bitter day for us. It's our 50th wedding anniversary & for sure a wonderful thing to celebrate, but also our 25th Wedding Anniversary was the last time we saw our oldest son, Erik. So many emotions flowing through us today.
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6-3-18 continued. When we got back to the Warm Springs dock after a short run out to Chatham Strait for Internet connection, the Fleming Yacht "Venture" who we have read much about and watched many videos of it exploring in Alaska & many other places was there along with its owner & designer Tony Fleming. We had the pleasure of spending a couple hours talking with him & he gave us a very thorough tour of the Venture. He is 83 years old & sharp as tack & on this cruise here is dong a video on whales. On our recommendation they are heading to the Hoonah area tomorrow, where not many days ago we saw so many whales doing their shallow water bubble feeding. I hope the whales are still in that area, when they arrive there.
kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your 50th. Thank you also for your Son’s service. It is very much appreciated. Ken
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met Tony Fleming at a boat show a few years ago--neat guy. Your visiting with people you meet is a wonderful way to meet some very interesting people. We used to "dinghy" around, and strike up conversations, as you are doing. Very worthwhile and fun!
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ken. Bob, yes conversations you meet on cruises like this & others are a very enjoyable part of the overall trip and yesterday the conversations towards evening continued. As described below.

More 6-3-18 continued

This evening we were invited back aboard the Venture for more conversation with Tony Fleming, his Captain & quest, one of which is writing a book with photos on whales. To us old country boy & girl it was an amazing time of which we never even dreamed of experiencing. Now, I've day dreamed of owning & cruising in a Fleming Yacht, but never dreamed of sharing time with its designer & still owner aboard the first one built. What a day for both of us on our 50th Wedding Anniversary. Following conversation on the Venture, Jo-Lee & I took a walk on the trail out from the dock, then soaked in the hot spring water & are finally now with the last rays of the setting sun on the surrounding peaks back aboard our own & deeply appreciated comparatively little 22 foot C-Dory boat..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: