View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:11 am    Post subject: Windows 10 problem Reply with quote

The latest Windows 10 update is bugged and many folks had their computers crash including me! If you are in Nanaimo or Victoria and can help me out please pm me. A possible fix is downloading an iso file from windows and transferring it to the crashed computer with a bootable usb. For more info take a look at this link.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-10-april-2018-update-may-boot-to-a-choose/8ff0d933-8819-4945-9f0c-17ac854400e2. Thanks. Colby
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God, I hate the arrogance of the computer industry.....and I worked in it for 30+ years (including both at IBM and Microsoft).

Believe it or not, I still use WXP on my main system. Why? Because it's stable, and it doesn't have complex facilities that I don't need (and which seem to be more for the benefit of the manufacturers than the users). Problem is that more and more applications won't run on WXP, so I also have W10 installed on an old computer where I run such applications (e.g., Quicken).

I purchased W10 Home edition to save bucks since this old computer was only going to be a secondary platform for me. Big mistake. The Home edition basically has the attitude: "We here at Microsoft know what's best for you, so just do what we say." For example, I can not turn off these updates (none of which I want). Microsoft makes it hard to control such things even in the Pro editions, but in the Home edition, it is impossible (even if you know how to tweak the registry etc). So this update you are talking about forced itself on me a couple of days ago. Nothing I could do about it. Lucky for me, the update appears to have been successful.

I truly feel for you. I am very experienced in these things, but I'm afraid no one can help you other than to give you advise (not much help). Having a 2nd computer helps because then at least you have a platform to go to while you wait for Microsoft to provide a fix. If I were you, I would do everything in my power to put my data into safe keeping. Here's how I would do that (this only works for desktops):

1. Remove the hard drive from the down computer.

2. Install said hard drive in another computer as if it were a extra data drive.

3. Using "File Explorer" (or other tool), methodically comb through that hard drive looking for your data files and transfer them to the working computer using some directory scheme that helps you keep track of what's what.

4. Replace that hard drive back into the down computer

5. Now you have your data safe. Once you get your main computer up and running, if all is OK, you wasted your time; but if something goes wrong, and you have to re-install W10, you will still have your data files on that secondary computer. Those files can be transferred back to the main computer, and you are back in business

Doing all this is more complex than it sounds....mainly because you will have to find all your data files, and then figure out where to put them all when you re-load them. OTOH, this can have benefits too because then you can decide how to organize your data directory hierarchy instead of defaulting to the structure Microsoft and the rest of the app providers force on you.

Expect to give up a week of your life to accomplish all this.....can be much less if you can decide that only a few data files are vital, and you are willing to lose all the rest permanently.
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: W10 problem Reply with quote

Colby,

This all makes my head explode. Good luck with the solution.
I wished that I could help you out.

Are you in the PNW getting ready for another boat ride to Alaska.???????

Jack in Alaska

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. I didnt have this issue after upgrading 3 PC's to the Spring 2018 Win 10 version.

In the past, I used the Media Creation Tool and ISO image was included to an USB thumb drive which made boot able and was successful. On another computer, I need to make a bootable thumbdrive to save files then used the MCT

colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank God I back all my data files up on a routine basis. That is all of them monthly on an external hard drive at home and daily used files every night on a USB drive! So I’m good there. But the thought of any reset requiring me to load all my software again (time consuming) really pisses me off at Microsoft! I do also have a recovery USB that maybe I need to throw in the computers travel bag. I’m hoping I can find another computer user in the marinas the next few nights that will download the necessary files for me on a bootable usb that I can see possibly fixing this ms fu! If not, I’ve only got my iPad and iPhone along to work from, neither of which I care to do much internet with!

Jack, see my other thread,2018 inside passage south, for my cruising plans and current status. Next year I’m still hoping to get to SE Alaska. Colby
BrentB

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I upgraded WIN 10, it saved all of my files and programs.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just booted up my computer at the cabin and got a notice that it was updating Windows 10. 30 minutes later it was done and, after looking at the photo card from my game camera, I came to this site. No problems yet, but since the updates seem to be automatic (i.e., without consent), I'm not sure that I can do anything to stop this on my home computer. I'm starting to see an Apple in my future.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BrentB

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are options

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-change-windows-update-settings-2625778
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
C-Dory Year: 2016
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:
I'm starting to see an Apple in my future.

This problem is not exclusive to Microsoft. I lost a MacBook Pro a couple years ago that became a brick and never recovered from a forced OS update. It was "forced" in the sense that I couldn't connect a new iPad to my Mac without first updating iTunes, and I couldn't update iTunes without first updating the OS. I had always resisted those iTunes "updates" as long as possible (seemed like every "update" was a downgrade in functionality at that time), and so when I finally did, I lost the whole laptop.

On my Windows 10 laptop, there have been a couple of forced updates that have not gone well either (taking hours to install, and resulting me having to do several hard-reboots due to no progress for hours), but nothing to the extent of what Colby has experienced or what happened to my MacBook Pro.

Computers. They seem to give me almost as much grief as boat trailers in salt water!

Good luck Colby, and was nice meeting you in Friday Harbor!

-Mike

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeR wrote:
Marco Flamingo wrote:
I'm starting to see an Apple in my future.

This problem is not exclusive to Microsoft. I lost a MacBook Pro a couple years ago that became a brick and never recovered from a forced OS update. It was "forced" in the sense that I couldn't connect a new iPad to my Mac without first updating iTunes, and I couldn't update iTunes without first updating the OS. I had always resisted those iTunes "updates" as long as possible (seemed like every "update" was a downgrade in functionality at that time), and so when I finally did, I lost the whole laptop. ......
-Mike

I went over to the Apple cart about 20 years ago and still have a couple of older computers which were never updated from MS Windows XP or SE. These computers are never connected to the internet, are well backed up, just in case...and used for specific issues.

I have found that as long as you do back up the Apple computers regularly, that they do not come to grief from software issues. However, I did have a 14 month old MacBook 12" loose the hard drive about 18 months ago. That computer had the SSD soldered to the main board, and I was told it would be almost as expensive to get a new main board as to buy a new computer. I updated to a Mac book pro, and have no problems...However, I do back up all to the time capsule, external hard drives and the I cloud. No data or material was lost. The most recent macs I have paid for the extended warrantee and Apple care--certainly seems to have been worthwhile. (In that I did have some questions--and no failures!). Just one option. Plus the I pads are so good now, that traveling I just take a backed up SSD "hard drive" (about 2 x 3" 3/8") of 1 Tb and an I pad. Leave the computer at home.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaving the computer at home isn't really the best option on extended travels. Not only do I use it for chart planning, photo organizing, email and Internet, but bill paying and some other necessities. I'm just not as comfortable using my iPad and iPhone for those last items and the first few items can only be done on my laptop... Sad Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, We have our I pads and I phones synced with the Mac Books, and information in the I cloud. Thus we can do almost every thing on the I pad including photo manipulation, filing etc. There is a good article in yesterday's Wall Street Journal, on why your I phone is just as good as your computer...I have not finished it yet, but a number of good suggestions there. Less stuff to take on the boat!. With a separate keyboard as part of the case, the typing becomes a rapid as on the computer...Just works for us.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was able to download the necessary file on a library computer and after some messing around able to get my computer working again. Unfortunately as I expected, all my software is gone and will need to be reloaded! Crying or Very sad Sure wish there was a better operating system but much of my software is built for PC! Colby
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, I know this may sound odd, but I no longer use either Windows or Mac. I run a cheap (sub $200) Chromebook. The Chromebook on its own is the best web browser there is, and it can run Android apps too, BUT thanks to Chrome's Linux heritage, you can download Crouton and install a full Linux operating system. I am using Ubuntu 16.04, the LTS (Long Term Support) version. "Crouton" stands for "Chromium OS Universal Chroot Environment." This is a series of scripts by Dan Schneider that allows you to a run full version of Ubuntu alongside Chrome OS and easily switch back and forth.

It is very easy to install, there are lots of guides on the net. Here is a good guide. There is a litte bit of stuff you need to do at a command line, but you can mostly copy and paste the commands, you do not need to be a computer nerd.

Not only is Linux more secure than either Windows or Mac OS, but virtually all software is free, and there is a ton of it. About the only thing I can't do with Linux is manage my iPhone and iPad, and I have a (lame) 2011 MacBook Pro to do that. I have been using Chromebooks exclusively for a couple of years now, and thanks to the Linux capability, I have not missed the "lame stream" computers that you all seem to feel a need to use. Not sure why! It seems you guys have nothing but problems! I am happy as a clam. PM me if you want more particulars!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about software like Quicken, Turbo tax, Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird, Garmin Homeport & Mapsource, MS Office, Outlook and Works? Those are probably the main software I use and some others I’m sure. Oh, and iTunes! Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: