View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: USCG inspection sticker and Boater Card Reply with quote

While in Friday Harbor I had the USCG inspection (which I had never had before). I only presented some of the flare/signal stuff that I have on board. Enough to pass. I knew that I was supposed to keep outdated aerial flares separate from current flares, but since I had the silly little LED light to qualify as my night signal, a lack of separation wasn't sufficient to fail the exam. I thought that it was odd that there was no question about daytime signals (smoke, flag, etc.). I don't know why this wasn't a question.

As with any exam, I found that there were some things that I could improve. One of them was a question about my "man overboard kit." My what? My "something that you can throw to a person in the water." I've got that, but in discussing it with the CG guy, I realized that it could be a really important "piece of equipment" and not just an old cushion.

Back when we kayaked whitewater, each person had a "throw bag" on deck. 50 feet of floating line in a stuff sack that had a float in it. If somebody was forced to do a "wet exit" and was floating down stream, you could toss the bag and reel them in. The person could be pulled in 20 feet downstream instead of floating 200 feet downstream. Accuracy was nice, but even a toss within 10 feet was a save.

Last week when we took Limpet out for the FH shakedown cruise, we did some MOB drills. I threw a fender in (behind Beth's back) and then said "man overboard." Not knowing exactly where it was, she did remarkably well. Made me feel better although we were in flat water with no wind. But the idea of getting the boat within 20 feet and having a throw bag and pulling the tired and/or terrified MOB to the boat definitely has some appeal.

Another item that wasn't discussed (and I just learned about this when looking for a boater class for Beth) is that both of us are now supposed to have a Washington Boater Education card. I thought that I was "aged out," but now see that every operator is supposed to have one. It is a State of Washington requirement, but if the CG doesn't ask, who does? The Sheriff at the boat ramp after there has been an accident? Plaintiff's counsel at the subsequent personal injury trial? Time for me to take another test.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark, Good observations on the inspection. Question: Was this a USCG Inspection or as differentiated, a Vessel Safety Inspection done by a USCG Auxiliary person? I have not had the occasion to be visited on the water by a active duty USCG team but, as you have I'm sure, read of them. I have kept my boat with a current VSI sticker since the first year of ownership, and on one occasion had a CG fast boat bear down from the stern and cross my wake to port as they approached. Obviously looking for my sticker on the port window. Seeing that, they waved and were gone in 30 seconds.

I have had several different inspectors over the years. Some get well into the nitty gritty checking all the flares, paperwork and fire suppression devices, others are more theoretical, but they do have a check sheet to follow. Have always gotten the sticker though.

As to throwable devices, I carry the standard cushion, but with a line tied to it to give me about 65 feet. Good for throwing or toss and circle lime retrieving a skier. I also carry a "Throw Stick". I believe it is a Mustang made device about 18 inches long and weighs a bit over a pound, looks a bit like a short baseball bat. It is not tethered, so capable of a much longer, and maybe more accurate throw. It inflates in contact with the water and has about 30 pounds of inflation capability. (Sorry I am limited in internet capability now or would look up a link.)

In my aft arch rack I have a sliding bar that will slide out about 30 inches and will support a LifeSling.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

Similar rules on the sticker in OR. Typically, a Sherrif's marine deputy or a USCG Aux volunteer does the inspection at the ramp or on the float in a marina, looking for the basics. And for the Aquatic Invasive Species sticker.

Got inspected once, and the deputy asked me to demonstrate that my bilge blower functioned.

Otherwise, pretty skimpy. Here, the USCG does not do these inspections, perhaps because the county enforces the sticker laws.

Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Washington state, copied and pasted from: https://boat.wa.gov/BoatersCard.asp

If you were born before January 1,1955, you are exempt.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Careful, though. Being old and exempt doesn't mean being safe, and knowing the rules of boating can be helpful to anyone. The Washington course is pretty basic. As water that used to have few people on it gets more crowded, it is amazing how many people don't seem to know those basic rules. I recently was fishing from a canoe on Park Lake (near Grand Coulee), and a large houseboat bore down from my port side, probably as fast as it could go. With a paddle, there really wasn't much I could do except stop and align the canoe perpendicular to the wake so it didn't swamp. As the old codger passed just in front of us he yelled that I should stay out of the way of larger boats. I could see that he was really mad, maybe about something else, but he didn't seem to care if he swamped us. Most people could use a refresher course. Usually, I watch Sheriff and CG boats check other people. They generally don't seem to check people that are wearing life jackets, something I do myself and require whenever Problemadela is under way.
Marco Flamingo

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry H wrote:
For Washington state, copied and pasted from: https://boat.wa.gov/BoatersCard.asp

That's the one that I had seen before, but I just went to a site that said after 2016 all Washington boaters were required to have the card.

I'm right in the middle of my $40 online test right now. Very tedious, especially the information and questions on Personal Water Craft. It appears that PWC operators need extra attention. The information on the site is timed so that you have to spend one or two minutes on each item. For PWC information, you need to spend 4 or 5 minutes before it will let you go on to the next item.

On the plus side, the web information went into some detail on where and how to put gas in a PWC. Now I know where to put the sugar. Just kidding.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Larry H

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

Could you post a link to that site.

I figure that the boat.wa.gov site is the 'official' site for info. It is operated by the state of WA.

Of course, knowing how our state operates, it could also be wrong! LOL
Larry H

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to another boater education page that says us 'oldsters' are exempt.

https://www.boat-ed.com/washington/boating_card.html
Marco Flamingo

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After more than an hour, I came across the part of the Washington test that said that I didn't need to take the Washington test. Oh well. I'll see if I can find the other site that says that everybody needs a card, but I now know that I don't (except to get my $40 worth, having paid up front).

Harvey,

It was just the Vessel Safety Inspection by the CG Auxiliary. He told me that 1) the sticker could often be viewed and the CG simply continue on and 2) a real CG boarding and inspection would likely be less cordial and more business like.

Mark
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been boarded by the Coast Guard on the water several times - maybe 6-8 times - and usually they have some trainees in the small lifeboats they use on the river.

One time we had just popped up a big bowl of popcorn and the guys who boarded me were having some. The skipper on the lifeboat didn't look too pleased but finally he accepted some and all was good.

The last time I was boarded they were wearing some kind of electronic gizmo around their legs near the ankle. I asked about it and she said it was a radiation detector. Fortunately it was just blinking and not beeping.

The CG doesn't give out stickers down here, but usually if I show the inspection report to a sheriff deputy I can get a sticker from them.

My boat has passed every time and I was only noted once for not having a throwable ready to grab and one other time for not having a padlock on the marine head overboard valve. Neither was a fail because I was able to correct them right there.

Funny thing about the throwable flotation device. I had a Lifesling stored in its own bag out in the open in the cockpit but it turns out it is not CG approved so it doesn't count. I dug out a 40 year old float cushion that still had the CG rating readable and they deemed that better than the Lifesling. All the previous inspections, be it CG, CG Aux or marine LEO had thought the Lifesling was good to go and the best choice.

It's kind of cool to have them aboard when I am anchored but having to stop trolling for them is a hassle. That has only happened once I think. The first question is always about whether I have any weapons on board. I rarely have any with me so it's been a no everytime so far. The trainees always double check the flare gun and set it aside from the cartridges, but the old hands don't seem to be concered about it.

When my granddaughter Tiffany was a youngster she and I went to a free class at a local marine store to get our cards. I guess I should have Lois get her card since she drives sometimes.

Wow - this is a long rambling post. Interesting topic. Thanks for bringing it up and for all the comments.

AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyboo, we boat the same waters, yet the USCG has never checked me. Nor has the County marine patrol, except one time at the John Day ramp. Willie gave me a sticker. OTOH, four of us, in full sea kayaking gear including PFDs, radios, and dry suits, got a full inspection at the Nehalem River ramp, 8 years ago, including stickers. Their primary concern was whether we had our invasive aquatic plant cards. We did.

They were very friendly, and impressed at our gearhead mentality. Sometime Clatsop County Marine officer Justin was a LEO for them before shifting our way ... and of course we played that card.

Becky did the one day Boater Ed course run by the USCG Aux a few years back so she would have a card, also. Have to say the full 10 session Boater Ed class at the college, run by the Power Squadron, which I took back in 2006, was far superior, and much more demanding.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten days ago, we were boarded by the Coast Guard. On average, when here in south Texas, we seem to get it twice a year. More often with the C-Dory (since it is capable of holding contraband and we are near the border) than our other boats.

Driving commercial boats, the inspection is more intense (sometimes taking up to two days) and on-the-water practical testing of crew. These "visits" on our personal boats have always been a half-hour or so, and mostly checking of our safety gear.

Our most recent visit...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2018/05/super-pod.html

As Mike said, the first question here is "Do you have any weapons onboard?" When they can see that we are a harmless retired couple who are out dolphin watching, the attitude relaxes. As far as a state boater card, I am age exempt, but when they asked about any boater classes, I let them know I have a 100T Master License, and list the additional classes and training, including Department of Interior commercial testing. The trainer (one trainer, one trainee) said, "Well, then you should know what you need for this..." Around here, that sheet they give you is referred to as "the good as gold" sheet: show that to any other safety stops within 6 months and they say thanks and move on. He did comment on how organized Joan was when she had our paperwork ready, and a seat open to show the safety gear.

There is a Coast Guard station about 2 miles from our house, so they are a regular presence here. In the San Juan Islands, seeing them out on the water was more of a rarity. I always thank them for their service - the work they do here is probably more dangerous to their personal safety than other places, due to our proximity to the US/Mexico border. I have heard some people say what an inconvenience it is to be boarded for a safety inspection... they are just doing their job. Cooperate, have all the paperwork and safety gear out for them and it goes quicker.
Wayne McCown

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Little Mac
Photos: Little Mac
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: CG Check Sheet Reply with quote

Can someone post (a link to) the check sheet used by the CG? THANKS!
TyBoo

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AstoriaDave wrote:
Willie gave me a sticker.

I miss Willie! (For those who don't know him, he was a long time marine deputy with our sheriff's office, now retired.) A few times in years past he would tie up alongside us while we were sturgeon fishing and visit for a half hour or so. Great guy. Justin is great, too, but he always just waves at me out there and goes on his way.

OSP Officer Klepp, on the other hand, is a pest. I have never seen anyone try so hard to to find a burr on a hook with the barb bent over. Now I even buy and use barbless hooks and he still feels them a few times. And he needs to see every line in the water so you might as well start bringing them up when you see him. I haven't had him stop me in quite a while so I guess I am lucky that way. Good old Trygve.
TyBoo

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to see the CG up close and real personal, just start trolling toward a cruise ship.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: