The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Leak on Mid-ship cleat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Leak on Mid-ship cleat Reply with quote

For several years we’ve chased a leak in the V berth just in front of the helm. We had been having trouble with the helm side window and the seals there were bad, so we thought that was our problem. We finally fixed the window and thought our leaks were history. Our trip to the Florida Huntoon Island Gathering this spring proved us wrong. After a overnight rainstorm Penny woke up in the morning with a wet pillow, but not the main bed. So we knew it had to be mid-ships, not around the anchor locker. I crawled in and found a drop of water hanging from one nut on the starboard side mid-ship cleats.

Today I pulled the mid-ship cleats/ nuts/ bolts and found that the cleat had probably never been bedded properly. A bent wire pushed sideways into the ¼ inch bolt holes found little remaining substance of the wood core as far as it could reach - about one-half inch. It appears to be pretty wet in there.

What are my alternatives? I don’t think squeezing “Get Rot” into the 1/4 inch bolt holes will do an adequate job. Dr Bob has shown us the proper way to replace rotten core in several discussions. I did that on the rear battery hatch opening. There I had exposed core and could easily scrape out the damaged edge of the core. Here, the only way I can see to do a proper repair is to go in from the bottom and cut off the fiberglass bottom layer (ceiling of V berth), scape out the damaged core material, dry it out with a hair dryer or similar, fill the evacuated hole with thickened epoxy using a vacuum bag system working upside down, and then re-drill the bolt holes and re-bed the cleats.

Any other suggestions?

Chuck

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't really have to replace the entire core--although that might be easier. You only need a good bearing surface--and the epoxy plus provides that. I probably would over drill the holes in the top, get an allen key or bent coat hanger in and suck out the bad core for about 1/2 inch --maybe 1/4 more than a 1/2" hole. Tape the bottom and then fill from above. I would not make the hole any bigger than the bottom of the cleat foot--and that could be closer to 3/8"

If this is the case, might be a good idea to check all of the other fittings. When we bought our Cal 46 it was almost 20 years old. I pulled every single bolt which went thru the deck (hundreds) and made the epoxy plugs. The boat is now 45 years old, and the couple who bought it from me 20 years ago is still full time cruising and they say not a leak in the boat!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chuck, Just wondering if you are backing the cleat along with the repair? Seems like that would be a good time since you are there already.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: