The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

C-Dory 25 Deck Sole Hatch Installation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the boat is on plane the attitude is enough bow up to allow drainage thru the scuppers. At rest, the cockpit is close to being level. Taking a wave over the transom is very unlikely--as is over the cockpit side--these boats have a lot of buoyancy in the stern.

Check to be sure that there is no obstruction to flow out of the scuppers--that the tube is free, and no debris has built up.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to report on the hatches performance during our trip in the San Juans this summer.

First of all, it was nice to have a relatively dry bilge for the summer, especially since the bilge also connects with the fuel tank compartment.

The relatively is since the coaming pockets allow water in, especially during a washdown. So, when I avoided washing out those pockets, the bilge stayed dry. How did I check? By pulling out the drain plug when the boat was just out of the water, still on the ramp. Just got a handful of water.

Noticed that on a 2006 C-Dory 25 we met that the coaming pockets drained to the deck, not down to the bilge. So now I have to find out about those. Any suggestions?

Boris
jkswor

City/Region: tok
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Missy marie
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those coaming compartments are no longer available
The company that makes them will not return my email or phone calls. Mine are brittle and cracked at all screw holes. I’m going to try to make my own this winter somehow. Probably build a square box that fits in the opening then some sort of flashing to cover the screw holes. If you find something let me know
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the later model ones. What does the older ones you are referring to look like?

I'm 80% finished with my hatch install; openings cut out, exposed balsa filled, screw holes drilled over-sized and also filled with West Systems epoxy...

Just have to re-drill holes, caulk & install hatches. Probably get it completed on Monday, since it's my only day off.

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want you folks to not take this comment negatively, but feel it'[s a good time to make the point, so I will.

It appears to me that as boats get bigger, there comes a size where it becomes possible or desirable to make a transition from placing many of the accessory systems from out in the open in a single open hull design to instead mount them below the floor in a double hulled boat with a raised inner floor above the outer hull.

This makes for a much cleaner interior design with much of the inner workings hidden from view. In the bigger boats this works fine, but there appears to be a difficult transition size where you can't simply build an engine room below decks and fill it with all the equipment you don't want to look at all the time.

Thus you wind up with boats with the gas tanks, water tanks, sewage tanks, pumps of every type, fish boxes, battery boxes, chargers, etc., etc., etc. below decks with deck access hatches to them to maintain, and with the equipment below in difficult to work on restricted areas.

It's a natural occurrance in design issues as boat size becomes larger, but has some necessary side effects.

This is probably something worth considering when getting older and looking at larger boats, (as are many of our C-Brats). I personally would be less willing to spend part of my remaining years down on my knees looking into some hole in the deck with mechanical and electrical problems in the dark abyss below. I'd look for a simple, easily serviced boat, or at least one as close to that as I could find.

Cheers!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
jkswor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, if I had to do over would have kept my 22 cdory and saved up for hewscraft. But could not afford one at the time and got a 07 25 ft cdory. Oh well can’t redo
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkswor wrote:
Yea, if I had to do over would have kept my 22 cdory and saved up for hewscraft. But could not afford one at the time and got a 07 25 ft cdory. Oh well can’t redo

Having owned both, your 25 C-dory is far better than any Hewescraft Wink
localboy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I personally would be less willing to spend part of my remaining years down on my knees looking into some hole in the deck with mechanical and electrical problems in the dark abyss below. I'd look for a simple, easily serviced boat...

I would somewhat agree with the above input. Right now, at this point in our lives, the C-Dory works fine. It's large enough for the two of us, inexpensive to run (as far as boats go), is affordable as we don't need a slip and the boat/trailer is in our driveway & we had the proper truck to pull it already...

What will the future hold? Will we do a "Fred & Robbin" and up-size? Will we just get out of boating all together? Will our health inhibit us?
I'm just trying to improve our current boat and the wet bilge has always been an irritant to me. Anything stored down there gets wet, moldy, slimy...it a PIA. We have blown thru water pumps due to them rusting out, literally, until I mounted it next to the battery and got it up, out of the never-ending water. Changing/maintaining the batteries are also a PIA. The rest of our bilge is fuel tank and water tank. Hopefully, they won't need replacement.

Hopefully, this will cure the wet bilge issue once and for all.
jkswor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsturm wrote:
jkswor wrote:

Having owned both, your 25 C-dory is far better than any Hewescraft Wink

Hope your right. I have dropped $5000 in it since purchasing to clean it up and repair issues. Now I have to do the deck floor doors and the coaming to keep water out . Would like to not have to continually work on it.
journey on

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me. jkswor, but you own a boat. Of course, you're going to work on it constantly. Consider yourself lucky if you get to use it between boat jobs.

Boris
journey on

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy,

Your hatch installation is very neat. Looks better than the one I did.

Boris
localboy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Boris! I'm kinda anal.

I'm grateful you took the plunge first, though. Cutting into the boat is always nerve-wracking...your jumping in made me feel more confident that it would work. Beer
localboy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After shrimping last week I can attest these hatches work. The bilge was dry even after shrimping where I dumped gallons of salt water all over the cockpit to rinse it out, even after standing on them while pulling pots...even after washing the boat out at the dock & at home.

D.R.Y. Cool
Bob&Alicia

City/Region: Athens
State or Province: GA
Photos: Bob&Alicia
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alicia and I were talking about what we really didn't like about the boat 1) holding tank could be larger so we could stay at anchor to at least outlast water supply 2) the leaking cockpit hatches. SO I've decided to tackle the cockpit hatches. Found this great write-up and information. My Great Lakes Skipper hatches came today. I have a couple of questions

1) ordered a tube of 5200 but also have 4000. Is 3m 5200 the preferred sealant for the new hatch frame?
2) I couldn't figure out the frame thickness and ordered 1/2" and 3/8" 316 stainless screws. Now I think I might need longer screws. The screw has 1/4" of threads once it goes through the frame. Is 1/4" enough to properly "bite"?

I can't remember how to post pictures but the below is a link to my photo album showing the screw

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2640&id=Screw_depth_1&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

[img][/img]

[img]http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2640&id=Screw_depth_1&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php[/img]

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob&Alicia wrote:
... The screw has 1/4" of threads once it goes through the frame. Is 1/4" enough to properly "bite"?

If you use 5200 or 4000 as a sealant, 1/4" of threads will be plenty. The sealant will be doing all the work. The screws just have to hold until the sealant sets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: