The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Veterans Day, 2005
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbadmin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Veterans Day, 2005 Reply with quote

Now, Therefore, I, Dwight D. Eisenhower, President of the United States of America, do hereby call upon all of our citizens to observe Thursday, November 11, 1954, as Veterans Day. On that day let us solemnly remember the sacrifices of all those who fought so valiantly, on the seas, in the air, and on foreign shores, to preserve our heritage of freedom, and let us reconsecrate ourselves to the task of promoting an enduring peace so that their efforts shall not have been in vain.

President Dwight D. Eisenhower, proclaiming Armistice Day, November 11, to be thereafter known as Veterans Day.

With so many of our finest serving far from home the significance of Veterans Day becomes clearer to the mind and nearer the heart in all of us. Certainly within the membership of this meager group there are those for whom the meaning is a constant part of their lives. We invite all who wish to share, in words and photographs, the tributes, joys, sadness, pride, and gratitude inspired by the sacrifices of those close to them. Fathers and mothers; sons and daughters; brothers and sisters; husbands and wives; family and friends. If some measure of comfort for those who have served, for those who are serving, and for those who are left behind can be found through the slight gesture of sharing with friends, we encourage any of you to share the stories and pictures of those deserving the honor that Veterans Day is meant to evoke. Furthermore, we are especially honored to have among us many who have and are giving of themselves in service of Freedom. They are asked also to please share the words and pictures that will help us know them and offer what we can of our gratitude and respect.

Please post to this thread any fitting words you are inspired to write. And post to this album any pictures which might serve to bring us closer to those to whom we all owe so much. Whether you agree with the reasons so many have been sent to serve is of no consequence to the honor they have earned. To that end, we are dedicated to sharing only the words which in some small way give comfort, and holding any debate for a more appropriate time.

Thank you.
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That kid looks kinda like someone I knew a half-century ago. We've got lots and lots of veterans at this Brat bar -- we all tried to do it right -- it just took me 37 years to try and get it that way. My hat's off to all the great veterans on our site -- and all my prayers for the guys now on the line.

I look in the mirror and wonder what happened - look like Bill de Nerd ran over me with his Kabota...

Dusty
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You look great in that photo, Dusty and you still look GREAT!

Good memories and appreciation of our friends and family members that gave the ultimate sacrifice for us.

Continued thoughts for those that are doing the duty for us now. (My neice's husband just arrived in Kuwait and will soon be moving in to Iraq to one of the Combat Support Hospitals. A few weekends ago we had a family "going away" gathering for him combined with a celebration of his promotion to Lt. Col.)

C-Brat #16
Mr. Fisherman

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew who that was right away!
I'd like to add my thanks to all the vets and to those doing the job right now. We owe you a lot.

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Shipmate, the devil made me do it. Twisted Evil Thought about having a "contest" during SBS last year to see who could recognize it but Mike convinced me that it would be over quickly. I realize now that it would have been, glad he waited until this week.

Happy Vets day to all. Very Happy

Charlie, Capt USN (Ret)

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Sawdust

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie,

You are one sneaky guy! Bet half the oldies sitting here at the Brat bar are vets. Hat's off to 'em all. Trying to figure out when that picture was taken - gotta be at least 40 years ago. Can't even remember which ship... so many, so many.

This being able to buy one book and read it every couple of weeks sure saves a lot of money!

Sure hope to see you at the SBS. Should be a real gathering of the clan.

Dusty
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I click the link above for the album, it just takes me to the album index. Nerds, how about an album titled "Veterans Day" to post pics in? I'd like to post one of my grandfather.

Thanks to all who have served...wherever you served. To all my "brothers and sisters" in service today, I say thank you. Those of us serving here at home have it easy compared to what you guys are doing. Be safe!

Rick

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013

Last edited by 416rigby on Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
B~C

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how can that stern looking guy in the pic be so damn funny.
I glad you folks did & do what you did, hats off to yas.
I was never in the service but both my parents where. I remember as a yout we would screw with dads old uniform (it had all kinds of neat little clip on bars and nick knacks) when asking about his service it was always the same story, "he rattled around WI in the National Guard and drank". In later years I found out that he was living the island hell in the Pacific. Ma worked at a VA hospital trying to fix messed up brains.

416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT:

I moved the photo of my grandfather to the album. This was a super idea, guys!

Dusty...thanks for the kind words, and yes, Kodiak fishing is awesome!

Rick

Last edited by 416rigby on Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sawdust

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great photo, Rick -- should say a GREAT photo.

And some great photos of Kodiak in your album too. Spent a bit of time in Kodiak in yesteryear - unbelievable fishing, and probably still is. Sure wasn't my favorite flight in and out though - navaids in those days were skinny and the weather always zero minus... oh well.

Dusty
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

416rigby wrote:
When I click the link above for the album, it just takes me to the album index. Nerds, how about an album titled "Veterans Day" to post pics in?

Rick -

Sorry, Nerd Jr. mistake. The album has actually been there for a week or so, but I forgot to unhide the thing when we started this. It should work fine now.

Thanks,

Mike
Salmon Slayer

City/Region: Juneau, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1981
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Holly May
Photos: Holly May
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

28 years, 2 service branches, Service in Lebanon, Desert Storm and Somalia. Two sons serving; one very, very great wife.

All three of us heading overseas on the next rotation (its much harder being the father of a soldier(s), to all parents and spouses...I now understand)

Grandfather - 30 years service USCG including WWII as a pilot flying PBY Catalinas out of Greenland (now deceased).

Friend SGT Denton ("Chesty"), USMC, killed near Zaku Iraq 1991.

Sorry, emotional time for those who serve or have served. The support of everyone is both appreciated and important.

[img][/img]

Where did all those years go?
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first in my family to die in defending what was to be the United States, was a great-ever-so-great grandfather who died, as a grunt soldier, fighting in the French and Indian War -- we still commemorate his sacrifice in our family, and that of all of those who have served our country since then.

Our hats are off to the people who have served and are serving our nation so honorably and so well -- we remember the plaque at the cemetery near the bridge over the River Quai, "You who have tomorrows, remember that we gave up ours, yesterday, for you."

Otter-BelleHavenMarina

City/Region: Alexandria
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread. In my own family:

Dad -- USMC, WWII, stationed at GITMO
Mom -- WAVEs, WWII
Uncle Frank, USMC, WWII and Korea, five battle landings in the Pacific, including Guadalcanal. Died two years ago. One of the calmest, kindest individuals I've ever known.
Uncle Bill, USMC, Vietnam, intel officer
Uncle Tom, Army SF, Vietnam, died of cancer a few years after the war
Brother Bob, USMC, Vietnam
Cousin Tim, West Point graduate, stationed in Germany

To them, and to the many friends in the armed forces I've worked with over the years in Somalia, Iraq, Afghanistan, Colombia, Sudan, Sierra Leone, South Africa, and Kenya: Thank You.

Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beer Cigar Thanks to all or Vets and their families !! Just got word that several of our Alabama NG units are returning in the morning.

Unfortunately, we again will have some families there who's soldiers "came home" early, have now been berried, and will simply be there to welcome those others home. Real hard time hugging them and I already feel that big ol tennis ball in my throut.

Now that I am retired after 28 years, I can be that (not so old fart) that shows up in shorts, t-shirt, boat shoes and a very full cooler to welcome home my fellow Guard Soliders back home to their State and families. Best part is very often FreeByrd has been used as a "decompresion chamber" for several of my comrades, often going straight from the armory to the boat still in the DBDUs and brown boots... It is great to ask them to remove their boots, and step onto one of our many sandy beaches on Lake Martin in their bare feet and toast to those lost, those of the past, those still there, and thankfully to their individual return home. Looks like I will be aboard FreeByrd Thursday night... Cheers, Thanks and Prayer!!

Byrdman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: