The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Need trailer for C-Dory 25
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bcleme

City/Region: Snohomish
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Need trailer for C-Dory 25 Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm looking to purchase a C-Dory 25. If the boat doesn't come with a trailer, suggestions on how to obtain a reasonably priced trailer. I'm in Washington state but willing to travel to pick up a used one if need be. New ones seem a bit pricey and buying used sounds good - would any trailer able to handle a 25' boat - 8000# work, if it had for-aft bunks?

Thanks
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our 22 is on an EZ loader trailer and we are very happy with it. EZ Loader in Arlington has been very easy to work with so you might try them directly. Otherwise try EQ Harbor Services in Oak Harbor, or Kitsap Marine in Port Orchard.
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trailers for C-Dory's are quite different than for the typical V-bottom boat. I would think it would be difficult to find a suitable used one without substantial modifications.

Mine is from Pacific Trailers, they have two factories, one in Newark, CA (near San Jose), the other in Chino, SoCal. A couple of years ago a new one was approx $6K. I'd go aluminum instead of galvanized steel next time to save some weight. Mine is really for a 27ft boat, they had too many issues trying to adapt their 25ft model (in 2002). Another issue was getting the hull low enough on the trailer (for CG and ease of floating off/on the trailer during launch). They had to go to a 102" axle to allow it to sit between the fenders, 1/2" clearance on each side to the boat. I've been happy with the trailer.

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve gives you some great advice. You want the boat as low on the trailer as possible--we also had about an inch between the fenders and hull--so you want side bunk boards. The bottoms are very flat, and you want long bunks or many rollers, not any significant "V" aft.

I have had mostly Aluminum trailers and good service out of them, with less weight. A dealer might save on transport for a new trailer.

I looked for a good used trailer for my 25--could not find one, so I bought a new one, built for the boat....There is a lot of junk out there! Beware.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EQ sold me a King Marine, which has been excellent. They also occasionally have a used one in stock. Might try them. They do a great job of setting the trailers up for the boat.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, for a C-25 you need a trailer with a net carrying capacity of 7500#. And if you buy a new trailer, I strongly recommend electric over hydraulic brakes. They only cost me a~200 over the surge brakes when I ordered the trailer (with the boat.) They make a huge difference in controlling the trailer with boat.

Journey On rides on an E-Z Loader trailer and I've been happy. They now come in aluminum, and anything that reduces the weight and corrosion seems good. The support where the bow is fastened is really sturdy, so the boat can't slide forward in a sudden/unplanned stop. I like roller bunks, others don't. Rollers make loading and unloading easy, especially at some of the unusual launch ramps we've seen. They also have oil filled hubs.

Here is a post on King trailers: King Trailer Service.

I don't use an equalizer hitch, but then I tow with a 3/4 ton truck. for a lighter duty truck, ask about an equalizer hitch.

Boris
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My king came with an owners manual which had the part numbers. I haven't checked online to see if the manual is there in their website but wouldn't be surprised.
Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

City/Region: Port Orchard
Photos: Kitsap Marina
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K and EZ loader use adjustable bunk brackets, which makes adjusting teh trailer very easy. On the Kings the brackets that are usually on the outboard side for a V-Hull are moved inboard, and the shorter inboard brackets moved out. This sets the boat low on the frame and gives good support.

King has the fit sheet for the C-Dory 25, so any dealer can order one to fit. Their KBT6000 is the model we used on the 25's.

As far as aluminum- and this is personal preference- but we find that there are an awful lof of galvanized components on aluminum trailers so longevity isn't going to be any different than a galvanized trailer. We've also seen a lot of aluminum trailers where the bunks are 4x6 material on edge, and this is what gives significant structural support to the trailer. We've seen some aluminum trailers with side load guides that if you pull on the top of the guide it will flex the entire frame. So not all aluminum trailers are created equal, and cheaper is probably just that- cheaper.

In six years we've sold one EZ Loader aluminum trailer versus hundreds of galvanized. We do see more aluminum trailers sold in the southern atlantic and gulf areas. We have heard reports of fasteners pulling through aluminum frames in Alaska from the harsh roads. Again- a better built trailer will hold up longer.

So in the end- saving a couple hundred pounds probably isn't worth the added expense of aluminum at least on a boat as big as the 25 Cruiser.

As always, my 2 cents, your milage may vary and the advice is worth what you paid for it. Wink

360-895-2193
(888) 293-7991
beermanPDX

City/Region: Portland
Photos: Jean Marie
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Gurnsey wrote:
King has the fit sheet for the C-Dory 25, so any dealer can order one to fit. Their KBT6000 is the model we used on the 25's.

Matt - I'm curious about the trailers that the dealers seem to be using for the 25. I bought my 2008 CD25 earlier this year and after spending some time on trailer maintenance, I realized that my EZ Loader trailer was rated for 5700lb capacity, total combined weight of about 7,500lbs. That's very similar in spec to the King KBT6000 you mention.

Given that people are seeing cruising-loaded CD25s on the trailer coming in at 8,500lbs, aren't we at risk here? I don't know what safety factors are built in to the capacity ratings or how conservative they are, but I have to admit....I now have an uneasy feeling when I trailer my boat.

Rob
2008 25 Cruiser - Sold
2002 Nordic Tug 32/4 - Sold
1989 40 Tollycraft Sport Sedan
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The King KBT 6000 is rated at 6000 lbs load capacity--and that is too low for a C Dory 25! I would go at least 6500, and better 7500 load capacity. You may get away with the 6000 lb capacity with a light boat--no gear, no fuel or water etc...but when you are ready to cruise then the weight will be significantly more.

As for the Aluminum trailers--the good ones do NOT use galvanized bolts and most fittings, instead use SS. You are best served with gasket material between the aluminum and galvanized metals.

If you can find a electric over hydraulic for $200, jump on it! We see them going $600 to $1200 more. Also get Kodiak brakes, not Tie Down. Also research the hubs.

We had tire problems the first year. After that we went to an equalizing hitch and made sure that the trailer was exactly level. With those adjustments, no more tire problems noted in 10,000 miles of towing.
Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

City/Region: Port Orchard
Photos: Kitsap Marina
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was interesting when we became a dealer that the factory offered the 25 Cruiser on a 5400 pound capacity trailer, which seemed to light. I would agree stepping up to the 7000 pound capacity trailer might be prudent.

Part of the problem is that the 25 can carry a lot of gear, and when loaded up can get pretty heavy. Depends on how you plan to use the boat. If your trailer package with boat on it is coming in at 8500 pounds, then the 7000 pound capacity trailer would be a better fit.

I just double checked, and the last 25 we sold went out on a KBT7000 trailer, 7000 pound capacity.

Bob's right- good aluminum trailers will use SS and spacers, but we've seen a lot that didn't. We saw one dealer at a show with very low cost "Aluminum" trailers that other than the side rails were all galvanized. And those side rails were very flexable.
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
knot home

City/Region: Johnson City
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Best of Times
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have magic tilt with side boards electric over hydraulic aluminum Approx 3 yrs old with spare tire.trailer was set up for CD 25. Approx 6K new. Make an offer.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of questions.

First, why is stainless better than galvanized on an aluminum trailer? If you mix stainless and aluminum on a salt water boat, that's instant corrosion. I had to install spacers to stop that corrosion on Our Journey, our last sailboat. And, BTW, stainless on stainless tends to gall, so use good lubricant. I would guess that galvanized and aluminum don't corrode.

Second, since I have a galvanized trailer, where can you find stainless U-bolts? The trailer suppliers have smaller ones, but not the size E-Z Loader uses.

Also, UCLA 38, USC 28.

Boris
larhayden

City/Region: Bennetts Point
State or Province: SC
Vessel Name: DoriDaze
Photos: DoriDaze
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: need trailer and tow vehicle for CD25 Reply with quote

I have just purchased a CD25 and need a trailer and tow vehicle if anyone on the east coast has anything available. thanks,

larry hayden
larhayden@gmail.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: