The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Emergency/extra trailer lights for a CD22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Emergency/extra trailer lights for a CD22 Reply with quote

All - awhile back when I had the 22, I used to launch out of Edmonds. The parking there is pretty tight and often when I returned, someone would have taken out one of my trailer lights (and only one of 4 people left a note). So... I eventually built a spare set of lights. I bought a set from a local auto parts store and mounted them on pieces of plywood. I drilled holes in the top and bottom of the plywood and attached some rope that would allow me to hang these from the two stern cleats and tie the bottoms off on the D-rings on the boat. I wired a long run (long enough for 22's trailer) to a Y with two flat trailer connectors. One portion of the Y would plug into the vehicle, the other provided an outlet for the plug on the trailer. This would allow me to trailer home with fully functioning brake lights, turn signals and tail lights even when one of the lights on the trailer had been broken.

Anyway, now that I have a Tomcat, the set of lights is no longer of use to me. So, I plan to bring them to the Friday Harbor gathering and give the away to anyone who wants them. First shout, first serve.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several thoughts:

I made a second set of trailer lights, for several of my boats, which were based on 2" PVC pipe. For the Tom cat, it was a "light bar" complete with the 3 clearance lights in the middle signifying the load was over 8' wide. Both tail lights turn and brake lights were there, and easily visible to following traffic. We trapped into the trailer wiring, and then put a a 4 pin plug up high on one of the standoffs, so it would not get wet. We lashed the bar to stern cleats, and "T fittings and a short piece of pipe kept the lights oriented properly. The light bar was stowed in the truck when we parked. (I had someone steal one of my standoff PVC covers at Hontoon--so sometimes you cannot win.)

At some gatherings items are brought for a silent auction. The money is given to a good cause (could even be to help run the web site). There is a lot of fun with the competition of the bidding--some c brats get ride of junk, and some acquire junk.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Light bars Reply with quote

I have been using a light bar for over 20 yrs. They are durable to the salt water environment and versatile to other trailers.
I used a 1" square tubing about 8'-6" long. Spaced the lights for any usage and hard wired about 30' of cord with the plug on the other end. They never get immersed in salt water and that is a good thing. I attach it to the boat or other rig with good quality bungee cords. I run the cord along the top of the gunnel and over t he bow anchor down to the tow rig.
Occasionally I have loaned it out to others when they have light problems.

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a spare light set ($20 Harbor Freight) with me when I bought my boat in Campbell River. Sure enough, I couldn't get the lights on my new trailer to work. I didn't trust the magnets on the spare lights to stay on the trailer, so I duct taped them to the stern. I had to use Goop to get the sticky off, but still better and quicker than troubleshooting electrical repair on the road.

I keep the spare in the tow vehicle, as they don't take up much space. I was stopped by WSP for a faulty trailer light and told the officer that I had a spare set just for emergencies. When he saw that, off he went. No ticket, so the lights have more than paid for themselves.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have carried a set of magnetic, battery powered LED lights for since I started towing SleepyC. Only used them one time when a light failed. They either blink or run steady, but saved my bacon on a long night time tow home once. I carry a set of 4 in each vehicle incase I need them for a roadside stop or emergency. No problems with PD, as it was a light, better than no light, running on steady. And I check my lights often so found the non working one at a fuel stop on the way home.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: