View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sundog

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: SUNDOG
Photos: Sundog
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Tomcat 255 owners - questions Reply with quote

I am getting used to my new to me Tomcat and had a few questions if you have time Smile Thanks in advance.

1. Do you pull the plugs each time you leave the ramp? The boat does not really take on water being self bailing and wondering if even necessary? would save having to remember to put them in Smile

2. What's your favorite cruising speed, for me it seems like about 21kts? so far.

3. Do you like to slowly come up on step or punch it and then back off?

4. Any experience trolling, I want to try some down rigger trolling and wondering about trolling with a single Honda 150 - any issues or other doing this well?

5. Do you use the fridge much while on trips, I am wondering about battery use for this? thoughts / experiences?

Thanks I am loving the boat and excited for the boating season.

I appreciate it.

Joe / Sundog
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. We kept the boat on a lift, and never removed the plugs. The bilges remained dry--not so the storage boxes in the cockpit floor...We did have a full camper back.

2. Our favorite cruising speed was about 25 knots. If it was really choppy (short chop) we would go up to 35 knots. Top Speed with the Suzuki 150s was in the mid 40 knot range. Over 50 MPH. (if you wanted that).

3. Punch it, I believe it is more efficient.

4. Have not used down riggers on the Tom Cat. We did experiment with single engine. We found it better on the steering to leave both engines down in the water. The liquid tie bar does not really do well with the second engine up.

5. Yes, we had a chest type of freezer, and an inverter to run microwave. Based on this we added two group 31 AGM batteries in the cabin. These were dedicated to refer and inverter. We also had 3 group 31's for Start, and house. We could configure so each engine has its own start, or one start for both engines, and 2 for house. We have been running chest refer/freezers for over 30 years. We find about 60 amps draw per 24 hours at 12 volts. May vary with ambient temp. The built in refrigerator from the factor is gong to be about similar--but there may be more cold air lost, each time it is opened.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey there, I don't have a tomcat but
1 I pull the plug that way any water can find it's way out on the way home. Once home, any water that should happen to find its way in can drain.

3 I recall reading somewhere it is more efficient to give it about 3/4 throttle to get on plane.

4 those hondas will troll just fine. I spent many a summer trolling around Elfin Cove with a pair of suzuki 250s and lately yanmar 400hp diesels. One thing that will cause you troubles on the cat is getting fishing line in the props. Braided line in the props will wipe out a seal in no time and cost you a lower unit...I'd rather deal with downrigger wire in the prop than braided line. Keep an eye on your wires, after a while you can get a feel for how sharp you can turn given the current.

enjoy

Gulfcoastjohn

C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: CAT 'O MINE
Photos: CAT 'O MINE
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrads, Joe, it’s a great boat and you’re going to love it! At five years of ownership, I am still discovering things about this boat and fine-tuning my approaches to them. The good news is that the boat is more sturdy and forgiving of operator errors than any of my prior 12 trailer boats. That said, try not to run it over a jetty or forget to put in the drain plugs or leave the Wallas on while re-fueling (that was what caused a TC255 in Alaska to explode, burn to the waterline and sink at the fuel dock last I read). I’m a big fan of ‘checklist discipline’ as boats get more complex. Every airline pilot uses one, as does every USAF nuclear missile launch facility crew (although to date they haven’t got to end of that list, thank goodness). It can’t hurt, it might help, and it’s free and easy and can be adjusted to YOUR boating style. I’m so OC that I disable the windlass thermal breaker by the helm when trailering or underway, under the theory that me or crew hitting the other switch with my knee and deploying the anchor then would be…unfortunate. It’s on the checklist. I’ve PM’ed you a copy.
1. We have a marina slip but trailer for long trips and always pull the drain plugs then (on the Checklist…twice!) One of the legit gripes about the 255 is how the cockpit floor fishboxes (Bob’ s ‘storage boxes’) like to collect rainwater a LOT more than the corner cockpit scuppers like to drain rainwater out. Those fishboxes are typically plumbed to, then blocked by a macerator pump that has no float switch so the fishboxes tend to fill with rainwater and stay that way without a full ‘camper canvas’. So DON’T store your cell phones, laptop and digital cameras in the cockpit fishboxes. Some have put tough float switches in the fishboxes. Some cruisers (us) disconnect the fishbox drain line at the macerator pump so it lies in the bilge, and fishbox rainwater drains into the bilge and is automatically pumped out when the water level lifts the bilge float switch enough to activate it (about ¾ inch). PS even with a dead level trailer, that ¾ inch times so many, many feet of 255 rather flat sponson can equal a horrifying amount of water. It won’t be horrifying to you, but it will be to the BMW convertible that is coming down the same hill you are climbing when your bilge pump decides to come on at it’s output height of about 6 feet above the road. Amazing how much water can be in there.

2. Bob’s Suzuki 150’s allowed bigger props and higher speeds for the same prop pitch as the Merc/Yamaha/Honda/E-tecs. I’m running 17 P, 4 blade Solas today (and have 2 other different sets, still haven’t decided what I like best). Top speed at 6000 RPM about 37 MPH, about 23 MPH (your 21 knots) @ 3800 RPM seems their sweet spot. A little hull slime or hard growth makes a big, slower difference. Of current posters, Bob may well have had the fastest 255, and I defiantly have the slowest. But it climbs on plane like a locomotive on rails and stays there at the lowest speeds possible (19-21 MPH in our ‘Heavy Cruise Mode’ of 12,000 lbs boat and trailer) even in sloppy conditions. (We usually leave the trailer in the parking lot, unless we forget to remove the trailer transom straps and bow safety chain when we launch…checklist item!). You’ll figure this out over your next 200 engine hours, and it really doesn’t matter…do what works for you and yours! If you have Honda fuel meters, DO consider what your engines like best as you want to pamper them for many years.

3. Agree with Bob that I have read over the years that the ‘punch it’ method is slightly more efficient on fuel. However, I have gradually come over in this boat (unlike the last 12) to the view that I can better get to the ‘nirvana’ point by setting both throttles to about 3000-3100 RPM, and then GRADUALLY increasing engine trim to about 3+ of 5 (for my Yami’s) while watching for GPS speed and RPM to continue to increase (with trim alone), until the steering wheel left/right effort is about the same, as well as GPS speed stops increasing. About the same time, the engines will not sound as ‘happy’ as they start to ventilate (harmless but obnoxious, unlike cavitation, which is both harmful and obnoxious). The Good thing about being just BARELY on plane (about 3000RPM in Heavy Cruise) is that is where you get your max MPG/efficiency. The Bad is that when you hit a wavelet, or a wake, or make a turn, or your Air Supply 8 track tape runs out, is that you’ll fall off that ‘happy place’ quickly, so I add 100-200RPM to my ‘happy place’ throttle settings to compensate for that. We shove in another ABBA 8-track tape and we’re good. (You may have cassette tapes if you are as with-it and hip as I think you are). You can pretty much ‘sync’ the engines RPM manually under most conditions. I am NOT disagreeing with Bob here, this is just ‘another county heard from’ in the vote tallies.

4. We don’t fish, but we DID get many hours of experience on the last St. John’s adventure running one engine on, one off, both down, trying to find max efficiency (like 255 Discovery on their Alaskan Inside Passage adventure did out of necessity rather than mere curiosity). At one-engine idle (pre-set at 650RPM on the Yami F150, shows as 600 on gauge) we would be down to 2.2-3.2 MPH against the St John current, which we couldn’t measure but seemed about 1 MPH. Throw an empty bucket overboard and slow you down some more. If your Honda 5-star tech is like my Yammi tech she’ll just say, idle as many hours as you want, but just run it up to WOT a while on the way back to burn off any carbon residue. NO need to buy a kicker as the cost/benefit will never add up with 2 main engines for get-home power.

5. Agree with Bob, and that any front door fridge dumps a lot of cold air every time you open it. Other things to consider is that your ‘smart’ fridge at your marina will run on 110v until the marina power goes out, then it will ‘smartly’ automatically switch over to 12v and drain your batteries. Imagine if that same storm dumps a bunch of leaves and debris that clog your cockpit scupper drains so that the flood ends up in your bilge and your now-dead batteries don’t work the bilge pumps…your boat sinks at the dock. Happens all the time. I pull the 12v fridge fuse when leaving the boat at the marina (checklist item). Agree with the amp draw, that’s over 50% of a 105 A-H group 31 AGM. Add some windlass use (a HUGE 12v energy HOG), and that your House battery is the sole source for both, AND does not get recharged by your engines while underway…and you’ve got some Switchcraft (my term) to do. Set the House battery switch to Combine when the engines are on, and un-combine on arrival at destination (don’t forget!!...checklist item!) Interesting aside…during the many hours running one engine at 600-1800RPM at the St John adventure, we found that when the House battery was Combined, it was ONLY with the PORT ENGINE battery, not the Starboard engine battery, based on measured battery voltages (ie, over 13V is being charged, and under 12.5V is not being charged). I incorrectly assumed that when the House was Combined with the single Engines battery switch, then BOTH engine batteries were Combined with the House. But it makes sense to me that to prevent idiots like me from forgetting the Switchcraft, that this wiring makes it impossible to accidentally drain all your batteries with one switchcraft error. Good on Triton, even if they only built two 255’s other than mine…their first.

6. You have a great boat that is very forgiving of operator errors, so Enjoy! I encourage you to trace out where every hose, wire, and pipe goes so you know your boat…every nook and cranny, every deck access plate, all 12 thru-hulls and all 8 (Bob may dicker here) water pumps, not including those in the engines. It is a great design that is only as complex as it has to be (but if you are human, you still need a checklist, IMHO).
Happy Boating!
John
Sundog

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so very much for the feedback, I have a lot to learn and am enjoying the process.

Gulfcoastjohn would love a copy of that checklist, you mentioned you private messaged me but did not see it - my email is joe@sundogmedia.com as well Smile

I really do appreciate you taking the time to share your experience especially specific to the 255 as it takes time to learn all the little nuances.

I am sure I will have more questions after our next trip out. We are hoping to go to Cascade bay which has the largest waterfall in PWS and do some shrimping and exploring.

Have a wonderful night!

Joe / Sundog
Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crossing Montana on I-90 coming home from the C Brats gathering in Florida I was stopped for aquatic invader inspection. The first thing they checked/ asked was "are the plugs out?" They said it is not legal to trailer with the plugs in. I've heard that twice now from law enforcement people.

There is a compact focusing on the Columbia River System to keep it free of zebra mussel and they had a whole list of other plants and things they were looking for. They insisted on flushing my boat with hot water and they tested the temperature with a IR gauge and waited until it reached proper temps before they started treatment.

I was impressed that they seem to have their act together which is not the impression I received when I left Lake Powell last time and had the boat treated there.

Chuck

Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Tomcat 255 owners - questions Reply with quote

[quote="Sundog"]I am getting used to my new to me Tomcat and had a few questions if you have time Smile Thanks in advance.

1. Do you pull the plugs each time you leave the ramp? The boat does not really take on water being self bailing and wondering if even necessary? would save having to remember to put them in Smile

2. What's your favorite cruising speed, for me it seems like about 21kts? so far.

4. Any experience trolling, I want to try some down rigger trolling and wondering about trolling with a single Honda 150 - any issues or other doing this well?

5. Do you use the fridge much while on trips, I am wondering about battery use for this? thoughts / experiences?

1. Our TomCat doesn't have any plugs in the bilges. Do others?

2. We cruise at 18 to 20 kts.

3. Punch it. It's more fun that way. We cruise at 3800 RPM. Our most fuel efficient speed. Honda 135's 17" Pitch props.

4. We regularly troll on one motor. I leave the other one down. Switch between motors to keep the hours even.

5. We use the fridge 24/7 while on the boat. It has run for as long as 90 days. We have 200 watts of solar and 3 group 27 batteries on the port side electrical system. That's where the fridge runs off of. The starboard side is 2 group 31 batteries. The house system.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't own a tomcat, but agree with Two Bears above. In many states it's illegal NOT to pull the bilge plugs, after you come off the water. I've trailered across country out west numerous times, and you must have your bilge drain plugs pulled at the inspection stations! Colby
BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my I-90 Montana inspectors were a little more understanding as my Tomcat does not have bilge plugs/drains, and luckily they didn't make me drill some. They did flush my engines and when I tried to tip them they said no.
Forty Two

City/Region: Prince William Sound
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Black Cat
Photos: Barrel O Monkeys
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Tomcat 255 owners - questions Reply with quote

Sundog wrote:
I am getting used to my new to me Tomcat and had a few questions if you have time Smile Thanks in advance.

Thanks I am loving the boat and excited for the boating season.

I appreciate it.

Joe / Sundog

We are in Anchorage also, and currently have a 2017 255 - after 12 years with a TC 24.
1. We always pull the plugs (checklist) before leaving the parking lot so Rain water and condensation can get out.

2. Cruise at 22 to 24 its / 4000 rpm. Suzuki 175s seem to like this. On the old 24 with Honda 90s, cruise was 18 to 20 at 4400 rpm.

3. We don't punch. The cats don't have climb over a bow wake.

4. Lots of trolling with divers - one engine at idle is about right. Need to go slower with downrigger and I have not figured out how to do this yet. The boat is perfectly happy with one engine.

5. Our fridge / solar panel / house battery combo is a good match so far. PM for details.

Call Black Cat when you are on the water. Have fun out there.

BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomcat 255 owners - questions Reply with quote

Sundog wrote:

1. Do you pull the plugs each time you leave the ramp? No I don't as my boat does not have bilge plugs,

2. What's your favorite cruising speed, for me it seems like about 21kts? so far. 21 kts is also good for me.. I bump to 30 kts in chop

3. Do you like to slowly come up on step or punch it and then back off? I usually increase to 4000 rpm and than generally back off to around 3100 to 3400 once on plane

4. I prefer using a menu for 'fishing' albeit my-better-half occasionally enjoys 'catching' fish.

5. Do you use the fridge much while on trips, I am wondering about battery use for this? thoughts / experiences? We use factory fridge extensively. We have two dedicated AGM house batteries that are isolated from engine-start and bilge batteries. I also sometimes use a re-moveable Honda 2000i in a quiet-box on the rear step

Thanks I am loving the boat and excited for the boating season. Same for me- it is by far the best boat I have ever owned and I can't believe how much I use it compared to my previous boats.

I appreciate it.

Joe / Sundog
Sundog

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:01 am    Post subject: Is my prop good? on Tomcat 255 Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I need some advice to determine if I should change my props.

What I have

S 3x15 1/4x17R

Here is what I saw for speeds/rpm's

3500 RPM’s - 15-16 kts
4000 RPM’s = 19-20 kts
6000 RPM’s = 30 kts

6000 was as fast/RPM’s as I could get too

I always have a heavy load, lots of kid, gears and so forth

I have bottom paint

Is this about right or should I consider a different prop pitch?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Joe
thataway

Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of variables for the props and engines. I was fortunately since Marc Grove at Wefings had enough experience that we got the right props for the Suzuki 150's. Do you have counter rotating engines? Which side is the right hand prop on? Cats like stern lift, so the inward turning of engines works better, the counter rotator goes on the starboard side, in contradiction to convention, whete the right hand rotation goes on the right side.

Sometimes 4 blade props do better. Also you want the antiventillation plate running right at the surface. Engine height is critical.

Although you say you are heavy, this performance seems a little low. Changing pitch will probably not help. You are reaching WOT at 6000 RPM for that engine.

You might try some runs with a light boat.. Then look at engine positions, and alternate props. (SS vs al, 4 blade, rake, cup etc)
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe!
Search site for 2011 posts by Squidslayer (150 Hondas) “New Tomcat Props are great!” I’m also using 4 blade aluminum SOLAS 17P like him and like ‘em for the same reasons. I get 36 MPH WOT at 6,000RPM (your 30knots is 38.9 MPH with 3 blades, the avg 150’s may be 44-47MPH in new light clean boats without bottompaint or biminis and yours looks overbuilt). Engines have a rev limiter around 6,000rpm (maybe allow momentary 6,200 if catching some air between waves). Just a little slime or very light rough growth on the bottom can make a shocking difference. Also, it takes a good many hours of throttle and engine trim experience to get those optimized just right. Lastly, loading can make a big difference…150g of gas is 900 pounds, and that IS going to be felt on any 26 ft boat. Don’t haul around that plus 300 lbs of water if you don’t really need it. Our rig is 11,000-11,500 pounds in Heavy Cruise Mode and ¼-1/2 tanks of gas, no water. If you’re over 12,000# on a scale take some rarely-needed stuff off the boat.
Agree with Bob, but I think you’re close enough to good that you’re not hurting anything to hold off any drastic action and get more time on your boat for now. You WILL find MANY other ways to blow money on her, so my advice is find some other way for now. PS My Yammi’s are hung on the second hole from the top (second to deepest) and cav plates just awash perfect at cruise.
On that vintage boat, I would suggest investing in converting your shorepower boatside plug to a Smartplug as a wiser investment (fisheriessupply.com has good prices and free shipping). EPIRB or PLB if you go offshore, Boating Safety course for everyone, SOLAS offshore Type 1 lifevests, throwable float rescue cushion,
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/throwraft--td2401-type-iv-throwable-pfd--18472761?recordNum=38
keep the Armstrong ladder stored upside down on the bracket whenever underway so it can used by a person in the water to board without assistance.
Best,
John

Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John
My calculator says 30 knots equals 34.52 mph. Extremely close to your number. But I agree with everything else you said! 😇

Tom

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: