The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Coast Guard Documentation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eNORMous

City/Region: Beaufort
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Antibody
Photos: Antibody
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Coast Guard Documentation Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the post!

So, you've actually addressed two questions I have recently been pondering (all in one reply regarding documentation) even!

(1) Permantent interior marking of the NO your vessel USCG NVDC number ; and,
(2) Marking the name of the vessel in the interior close to the VHF radio (obviously, for anyone to rapidly ID the name of the vessel for a Channel 16 distress call) in case the Master of the vessel is unavailable.

With that much said, I most like the idea of permanently routing out the NO number on a piece of teak and locating it (via 5200) on the interior of the hull near the VHF radio where it: (a) meets USCG NVDC requirements; (b) is aesthetically appealing; and, (c) can be rapidly discovered if required for a distress call by anyone 'other than' Master of the vessel.

Regarding has the documentation itself arrived? Nope. Just forward-thinking contemplation.

Additionally, great idea on the additional area to hide the number. I was thinking inside the anchor locker compartment, aft-facing (so no one could see it unless they were upside and could see backwards!).

I was skeptical about the teak w/ NO number and 5200 permanent mounting - thinking this would not meet the requirements. If it does, that's the way I'm going. You think I should just stop by USCG and ask? Sometimes (not ALL the time) I wonder if USCG actually knows themselves. No disrepect meant here, but sometimes you get what you get and sometimes that isn't much when they mount your vessel - if you know what I mean [tongue-in-cheek].

Thanks man!
Norm

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was buildng boats, you could document the vessels at local documentation centers. Fortunately there was one in Long Beach CA. I became familiar with the requirements--and they have not changed. We did rout numbers and epoxy the teak board onto glass.

For the C Dory 25, I used vinyl stick on numbers (actually my son put numbers on and did a great job). The numbers were placed under the table on the side of the hull. I roughed up the gelcoat with some #80 sandpaper, and used quick set epoxy from West Systems, to layer on a single coat of 6 oz cloth.

I used my label maker to put "Doc no, XXXXXXXX Frequent Sea, 25 foot C Dory, white hull, green trim" right by the microphone on a label about 1" x 3". I believe that there is on convenient area for the amount of room needed for the number near the radio.

The area on the hull, under the table is easily seen, but does not detract from the interior decor. Sorry I didn't take any photos, and the boat is 2100 miles away. But I have done under the table, on the hull on several boats, and it works very well.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
eNORMous

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Coast Guard Documentation Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

Another great location & method for adhesion - thanks. Which now has me thinking of the ANTIBODY vessel name on teak (near the VHF radio); and, possibly the permanent location of the NO number under the dinette table (port-side) adhered to the hull. The possibilities you guys are offering are great.

I've plenty of trees (scrub-oak w/ their tons of acorns/leaves; pecans w/ their tannins from the shell husks are tough on gel coat) & numerous birds (circling top-side on bomber missions w/ enormous payloads of digested berries) I'm contending w/ today.

Two days after towing ANTIBODY from CT & setting her down on the driveway their first bombing missions began and sprayed a nice streak across the top of the cabin - really nice purple hue! Argh - all before I could decide on a covering.

So, I've taken some minor secondary damage. I ordered up a couple nice canvas' from Northern Tool + Equipment and roughing it in today to stave off the secondary damage.

Actually, it's turning out much better than I had initially suspected.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Antibody&id=CIMG0532&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Thanks again!
Norm
mcc272

City/Region: Long Island Sound
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Star
Photos: C-Star
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norm --

Bob gave you additional detail on the epoxy method and as is always the case with Bob, he is spot on in his instructions. I did exactly the same thing he did by the radio. I used a Brother P-Touch Label machine (available at Staples) to make labels for the vessel name, radio call sign (since I had a ship's station license), official number, air draft and other useful information so that it was immediately available at the helm. The P-Touch labeler is a wonderful invention. Sort of like an updated Dymo label maker but far better. All you need at the helm for the purposes you identified is letters 1/2 or 3/4 inch high which the P-Touch does well.

Also, in a previous post, I mentioned that I was not that familiar with the CD-25. In fact, I have only been aboard a single boat of that type and it was on land at the time. The boat? YOURS!!!!! Earlier this year when it was down at Old Lyme Marina before you bought it. OLM is well known up here and well regarded. You got a nice boat.

Jim

North Star, 2011 Rosborough RF-246
eNORMous

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Coast Guard Documentation Reply with quote

Hey Jim,

Small world, indeed. A C-Brats member from CT who boarded ANTIBODY prior to my taking ownership - pretty wild.

As I mentioned in a previous e-mail - OLM was top-notch.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=9676&highlight=antibody

I have some good labels (IMO). But I employed Helmsman to adhere them to my Safety Locker.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Antibody&id=CIMG0526&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

I hadn't thought of epoxy, but I suspect the effect is the same, perhaps more permanent w/ the epoxy.

Excellent advice from everyone.

Thanks!
Norm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: