View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluscount

City/Region: Rathdrum (CDA)
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Draken
Photos: Draken
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Noob C Dory question #4 – boat ramp launching Reply with quote

I’ve never had a boat longer or heavier than a 14 ft. aluminum.

What are the real world difficulties in launching from a decent ramp with larger and larger C Dorys?

I’m not too worried about a 19 Angler, but the 22’s and 25’s seem a bit more challenging.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figure that the Al skiff weight is about 300 to 400 lbs. (I have used them as dinghies on my larger boats.) The C Dory 22, is going to be well over 4,000 lbs, and the 25 in the 6,000 lb range. The windage is a multitude more than a skiff, which has a wind profile of 18"--the pilot house, and rest of the hull will give a profile of 5 to 7 feet in height.

There needs to be planing, a proper angle at the ramp, and some one skilled to help--both backing the truck, and hooking up the winch cable. A lot has to do with the trailer. Guide-ons, side bunks and various rollers help to center and be sure the boat goes on properly. Wind and current can make it a challenge.

I have single handled launched both 22's and 25's (and Tom Cat) behind 30 to 42 foot RV's--but don't recommend this. The more you do it, the better you become.
You can get an electric winch. I am over 80, with both heart and back problems, and still manage to launch and retrieve C Dorys.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot depends on what you tow with. A full size SUV or truck with 4WD should be able to launch and retrieve any C-Dory. 4WD is handy with wet ramps.

David
pluscount

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidM wrote:
A lot depends on what you tow with. A full size SUV or truck with 4WD should be able to launch and retrieve any C-Dory. 4WD is handy with wet ramps.

Yep. I've got a full sized PU with 4WD
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pluscount wrote:
DavidM wrote:

Define "full size." Half ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton? There is regular discussion here regarding tow vehicles, but most will say the half ton is not enough truck for the C-Dory 25 or the Venture 26.

While there is a minimum vehicle size to haul the different sizes, the challenge in launching and retrieving is more about the slope of the ramp, whether there is a finger dock by the ramp, and the skill/experience of the person bringing the boat on the trailer and the person backing down the ramp. Wind and current will present their own challenges, but launching and retrieving is a skill that comes with planning and practice.
pluscount

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
pluscount wrote:
DavidM wrote:

Define "full size." Half ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton? There is regular discussion here regarding tow vehicles, but most will say the half ton is not enough truck for the C-Dory 25 or the Venture 26.

2017 Dodge RAM 1500 with 5.7 Hemi. I regularly tow 7k lbs with electronic brakes on the trailer.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pluscount wrote:
JamesTXSD wrote:
pluscount wrote:
DavidM wrote:

2017 Dodge RAM 1500 with 5.7 Hemi. I regularly tow 7k lbs with electronic brakes on the trailer.

Our C-Dory 25 was 8,700 pounds on the trailer. Before you cuss me out by quoting the numbers that the factory publishes on the website, do some searching here... those numbers have been WAY off for well over a decade. No idea why the factory doesn't update the info. I would not tow a 25/26 with a half ton pickup, but some have. You have a nice truck, but it really won't "tow anything." We towed our CD-25 with a 3/4 ton diesel.

Yes, I know the manufacturers state towing weights (often with the use of a weight distributing hitch), and the salesmen will tell you, "This truck will tow anything." Not real world accurate. I see the same thing frequently in RV forums, where the weights of RVs are substantially under-stated.
pluscount

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
pluscount wrote:
JamesTXSD wrote:
pluscount wrote:
DavidM wrote:

Our C-Dory 25 was 8,700 pounds on the trailer. Before you cuss me out by quoting the numbers that the factory publishes on the website, do some searching here... those numbers have been WAY off for well over a decade. No idea why the factory doesn't update the info. I would not tow a 25/26 with a half ton pickup, but some have. You have a nice truck, but it really won't "tow anything." We towed our CD-25 with a 3/4 ton diesel.

You are correct. I was misled by the factory numbers. Although my truck is rated for 9k pounds, I wouldn't tow over 7.5 on a regular basis on the highway.
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: towing Reply with quote

I towed my 22' with a 3/4 ton power wagon with fat tires and racing slick type (wide) tires on the single axle trailer. I could tow it anywhere including over the bank and down onto the sandy beach to ocean launch. It also retrieved w/o problem.

I tow my 26' with a one ton dually diesel 4x4 w/o problem but use the ramp. Boat is too heavy for the beach launching.

Jack

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tow with a F350 one ton 4x4, so towing my 22. Even with the camper on the truck, is like the boat isn't even there. The problem that I have encountered a couple times now is launching in shallow water or ramps. On Teslin Lake, Yukon I could not float my boat because the water was not deep enough on the shallow angled ramp with the low water last summer. The guys with 16' aluminum fish boats had no issues. So consider where you are planning to launch, is the water deep enough?

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a 3/4 ton diesel for our first 25, and towed all over the US and Western Canada/Alaska. About 2 years ago, I towed my son's 25 over the "Grapevine" in 110* temperatures, and the transmission got up to temperatures beyond where I was comfortable, so we did a cool down period, and the Yukon XL handled the boat in heavy Los Angeles traffic OK.

I just got back from towing a 25 from N. Carolina to Pensacola with my Yukon XL--1/2 ton 5.7L,, with heavy duty tow package. Not ideal, but in 90* weather the tranny temp never got over rated temps. The load was stable, no sway. I towed at 55 to 57 most of the time. I averaged 10.8 mph over 860 miles. I do have 4x with dual ranges and diff. locks/traction control, , but rarely use it on the ramps--probably more for the low gearing than the traction.

For the West where you live, I definitely would go 3/4 ton, with diesel, just because of the grades, if you want to tow to Powell often. For example I did tow a 22 once to Powell, with a Honda Pilot. (5,000 capacity "boat", 3500 for "house trailer". You are wise to have electric over hydraulic brakes. (Colby is one of the brats who touts the electromagnetic brakes --as used in travel trailers, and horse trailers--Many of us worry about the rust and corrosion. If you stick to only fresh water, they may be fine. I suspect Colby will weigh in on this subject.)

The 26 Venture will weight a little more than the 25.
pluscount

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
For the West where you live, I definitely would go 3/4 ton, with diesel, just because of the grades, if you want to tow to Powell often. For example I did tow a 22 once to Powell, with a Honda Pilot. (5,000 capacity "boat", 3500 for "house trailer". You are wise to have electric over hydraulic brakes. (Colby is one of the brats who touts the electromagnetic brakes --as used in travel trailers, and horse trailers--Many of us worry about the rust and corrosion. If you stick to only fresh water, they may be fine. I suspect Colby will weigh in on this subject.)

The 26 Venture will weight a little more than the 25.

I was leaning toward a 22 Cruiser anyway and don't want to get a new truck for a heavier boat. I'll start watching the adds. Thanks everyone for all the help.
jbdba01

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I solo launch/retrieve a Glacier Bay 2670 - call it 9k pounds 26' somewhat frequently on a Toyota Tundra 2wd 5.7.

On a not so good ramp I would want electric over hydraulics.on the brakes...but as it is it works fine.

My normal commute to the ramp is 15-25 miles.

Always easier with 2 people, but I like the second to be seasoned. Otherwise it's easier just to do it by myself.

With a seasoned crew we can launch in probably 60-90 seconds. When my buddy and I are on our A game we can retrieve in 30-60
All hand signals. Normally as he's backing the trailer in I'm pulling the boat up.

Good crew makes a big diff...to me size is just a question of going a bit slower...once you have the hang of it it's a well oiled machine

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I frequently launch solo. Currently tow my CD-22 with a Ford F150, but before that, towed with a Toyota Highlander. While the F150 does feel more solid/stable, I had no issues with the Highlander. I also have pure electric trailer brakes. You asked about launching. The 22 is fairly easy to launch and load. Assuming you have a good ramp. However, I've also launched/loaded on shallow ramps. If you had no problem backing your 14 foot in, you'll have no problem with the C-Dory. Current and wind is a hassle with all boats. If you are good at backing, that's half the battle. Finding your trailers sweet spot of how far to back it in, is the other half. I just don't really think the size of the boat matters, as long as you have enough water under it. (I've trailered a pontoon boat, a 12' fishing boat, a 27' cabin cruiser, and now my 22. I had a roller trailer for a while under the 27' Searay. Bunks ARE much better! ) Colby
C-Green

City/Region: Houghton
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: C-Green
Photos: C-Green
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also went from a 14' open al skiff (still have and use it) to a CD22. Launching and retrieving became no more difficult than the skiff; there was a small learning curve and did the 1st launch and retrieve with an experienced CD22er. Wind is the challenge with the CD22 whether docking or loading on the trailer.

Jay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: